A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Sorry to hear it was a wasted trip ( so Thomas has turned into a swinger ? Interesting!)

Nice photos though and it's always useful to have a good reference point.

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know approximately when farmers remove polytunnels from their land?

Simple answer to that one Tim - when the supermarkets tell them they want it NOW!

When 'ey wannem d'rekkly.............

• RMweb Gold

Dont know how Thomas was all the way down there whilst also being at Sheringham. I suspect one of them might be an impostor!

Is the GWR roundel in question a Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway roundel?

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shewn before I know and an hour or so and lot's of trial and error, I've done the 'Tony Wright' style couplings on two of my Comet centenary rake.The handed brake and an all third.Ideally this job should have been done before being painted by the Master.Planning ! Not.I won't tell him if you don't.Here they are in the fiddle yard before being done when I incorrectly used the bogies instead of the body for Tony's method.They're waiting for the rest of the rake to be done but not today.Eagle eyed viewers may notice a passenger or two on board too. 

D120 left hand brake.

post-126-0-56582800-1399305570_thumb.jpg

C69 all third X2

post-126-0-70308100-1399305597_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-69155500-1399305626_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-15229200-1399305642_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 13

.Eagle eyed viewers may notice a passenger or two on board too

I thought for a fleeting moment that I had spotted one of the Finchings aboard until I realised the lady was far too well dressed.

The lady looks quite severe so it must be Queen Mary on her way to some long naval standing engagement in Plymouth, although why she is not travelling in her own Super Saloon is a mystery.

post-9751-0-47673600-1399311242.jpg

Would it ever be possible to see the Finchings in a coach, setting off for a shopping trip to Plymouth, or would they have to become (in)voluntary amputees first?

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I thought for a fleeting moment that I had spotted one of the Finchings aboard until I realised the lady was far too well dressed.

Would it ever be possible to see the Finchings in a coach, setting off for a shopping trip to Plymouth, or would they have to become (in)voluntary amputees first?

That lady has got a name you know. ;)

Putting the Finchings in a coach has occurred to me in the past but their legs will not be cut off to do it as they are needed at RMweb 'live' in September.I'll have a look David.

That lady has got a name you know. ;)

Putting the Finchings in a coach has occurred to me in the past but their legs will not be cut off to do it as they are needed at RMweb 'live' in September.I'll have a look David.

What is the name of the lady? Surely as the Finchings are (in)famous by now they must have "doppelgangers"?

• RMweb Premium

The lady looks quite severe so it must be Queen Mary on her way to some long naval standing engagement in Plymouth, although why she is not travelling in her own Super Saloon is a mystery.

Her own GWR Royal Train, surely?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What is the name of the lady?

If I remember rightly Olddudders of this parish named Zach Plunkett so maybe I should throw her name open to this thread too. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I might be when the threat of frost has passed at the end of the month but obviously it's what's being grown under them that would tell.

Depends entirely on what is being grown - chap near here keeps his poly-tunnels up for most of the year as he grows soft fruit under them.

so maybe I should throw her name open to this thread too. ;)

I still think the lady looks quite "posh", but so that you can cross construction of the GWR Royal Train off your "long list", I've downgraded her to Lady Constance Trebilcock travelling up to London or back to the family estate near Roche in Cornwall (change at Par).

n.b. For the avoidance of doubt she is not a relation of Mike Trebilcock (Gunnislake Trebilcocks) who would go on to score 2 goals for Everton in the 1966 F.A.Cup Final.

• RMweb Premium

Shewn before I know and an hour or so and lot's of trial and error, I've done the 'Tony Wright' style couplings on two of my Comet centenary rake.The handed brake and an all third.Ideally this job should have been done before being painted by the Master.Planning ! Not.I won't tell him if you don't.Here they are in the fiddle yard before being done when I incorrectly used the bogies instead of the body for Tony's method.They're waiting for the rest of the rake to be done but not today.Eagle eyed viewers may notice a passenger or two on board too. 

D95

attachicon.gifDSCN3345.jpg

C69 X2

attachicon.gifDSCN3347.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3348.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3349.jpg

Very nice Rob. Out of interest was there a Cornish Riviera PLC? 

• RMweb Gold

If I remember rightly Olddudders of this parish named Zach Plunkett so maybe I should throw her name open to this thread too. ;)

Lady Dora Jarre of Faccombe Hall, now fully open to the public. As is her house.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Rob. Out of interest was there a Cornish Riviera PLC? 

Would probably have been 'Gmbh' in this day and age! :)

Excellent rake of coaching stock too. Did you you paint and build the stock Robin?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

I still think the lady looks quite "posh", but so that you can cross construction of the GWR Royal Train off your "long list", I've downgraded her to Lady Constance Trebilcock travelling up to London or back to the family estate near Roche in Cornwall (change at Par).

n.b. For the avoidance of doubt she is not a relation of Mike Trebilcock (Gunnislake Trebilcocks) who would go on to score 2 goals for Everton in the 1966 F.A.Cup Final.

Trebilcock - "The home on the cuckoo's hill" or alternatives - see https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Trebilcock

• RMweb Premium

Trebilcock - "The home on the cuckoo's hill" or alternatives - see https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Trebilcock

I think it might have been three (or maybe the score was 3 to Everton) but my memory is a bit duff due to Argyle players hardly ever scoring goals......................so I don't register goals by ex Argyle players either as they are rarer than hen's teeth. Wasn't Tony Book the Everton manger then...sorry, O.T.

P

P

• RMweb Gold

Lady Constance Trebilcock always used to correct any one who used to refer to her as Lady Trebilcock. Twas said to be on account of how an uncouth element of her estate workers used to refer to her husband, Lord Albert Fitzgibbon Trebilcock as ' Ole Three D**ks'.

Lady Trebilcock used to insist on being referred to as Lady 'Tree Bill Coe', something she maintained until she drew her last breath, at the age of 93, whilst arm wrestling with the milk man.

Rob

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

Lady Trebilcock used to insist on being referred to as Lady 'Tree Bill Coe', something she maintained until she drew her last breath, at the age of 93, whilst arm wrestling with the milk man.

Rob

:offtopic:  I seem to recall with some disappointment that 'Tre Bill Coe' was the BBC's preferred pronounciation for the Everton footballer.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Excellent rake of coaching stock too. Did you you paint and build the stock Robin?

Yes I had a hand in the builds of all my centenaries bar the one C69 I got off ebay part finished that had EM bogies that I discarded and rebuilt to OO.Three of my rake were painted back in 2005 by Larry Goddard [Coachman] but my last two were done by Chris Phillips.Building them wasn't easy with those inset ends and I'm sure Mallard60022 would concur with that.I wouldn't build anymore.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Mr Trebilcock's witty name was indeed pronounced Trebilco in his native Cornwall. If anyone (well blokes anyway) said hello Mr Treblec*ck, they used to wake up  a few hours later wondering what passing truck had hit them!

This player's transfer to Everton was a bit of a stroke of genius as he was an unknown quantity to the opposition and took them by surprise. However I do believe he disappeared off the face of the footballing earth thereafter?

Argyle's team now play like most of the team do have treble coc*s and thus can't run due to all the flapping bits....... :sarcastichand:

Sir Alf Ramsay.

• RMweb Gold

I always thought that the 'Limited' and 'Express' were the same train that left Paddington at 10 30 am.I'm sure that GWR railwaymen used the term.I'll have to dig out my Stephen Austin book on the subject.