A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Taken for you Robin - today at Toddington

attachicon.gif5542.jpg

Is that roundel supposed to be oversize or is it correct.

Talking to 81C recently and he suggested the old Mainline Colletts were more accurate than the Bachmann ones.So I've got myself an all third and a brake complete with shirtbutton for less than a new Bachmann version.The white roof will be weathered.

• Like 2

Talking to 81C recently and he suggested the old Mainline Colletts were more accurate than the Bachmann ones.So I've got myself an all third and a brake complete with shirtbutton for less than a new Bachmann version.The white roof will be weathered.

Boo! That was going to be my first "sensible" guess.

Is it the window size, which was correct on the Mainline Colletts, but was subsequently shrunk by Replica and Bachmann, that gives them the edge? Was the possible downside with the Mainline Colletts that some had a tendency to bow?

• RMweb Gold

Boo! That was going to be my first "sensible" guess.

Is it the window size, which was correct on the Mainline Colletts, but was subsequently shrunk by Replica and Bachmann, that gives them the edge?

Sorry to disappoint you David.I have a plan to detail the interiors using this product eventually. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-MAINLINE-COLLETT-INTERIOR-DETAIL-FOR-2-COACHES-/150542656292?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item230d0aa324

• RMweb Premium

This IHP media chappie has discovered a real gap in the market with his product range. I'm going to try a set of his stick on replacement 'sides' for a Bulleid tender with an early crest (I really need the later crest versions).

Looks to be a good plan to upgrade the interiors as the exterior mouldings and paint jobs on the Mainline Colletts are pretty good and seem to have stood the test of time well.

I shall have to hunt down my BR maroon examples to check that they haven't died of shame due to their "bland interiors" (per advert text).

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to disappoint you David.I have a plan to detail the interiors using this product eventually. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-MAINLINE-COLLETT-INTERIOR-DETAIL-FOR-2-COACHES-/150542656292?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item230d0aa324

I have some of his products in stock, the Gresley buffet interior and some renaming transfers for pullman coaches. They certainly look excellent, though I cant vouch for the application yet. His service is excellent.

• RMweb Gold

and paint jobs on the Mainline Colletts are pretty good and seem to have stood the test of time well.

They'll have to do at the moment and as the well known supermarket says 'every little helps'. I will still be building the rest of the M set too.

post-126-0-62953500-1399233669_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

3940 - a great shot. Hope I can get my track-work to that standard.

P

post-126-0-48187200-1399282050_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-26673000-1399282066_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-87651000-1399282476_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

This morning as it's a Bank Holiday rule 1 will be applied.My version of the famous down Ocean Mails with plenty of anomalies on shew.Those of a pedant disposition look away now. :O Another nice looking train though but then all Great Western trains look nice to me.

post-126-0-75256100-1399288377_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-68237800-1399288395_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-15183400-1399288412_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75333600-1399288429_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-13221900-1399288463_thumb.jpg

The centenaries need the couplings sorting as the gangways are too close and can cause derailments on curves.More anon.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Really nice photograph, crackin loco but sooo wrong to put that totem on the side!

A bit of history to be found here http://www.5542.co.uk/history.html

Whatever the rights or wrongs of that shirtbutton,I think you'll agree it looks much better than here.There's a guy on ebay who will do this to a Bachmann prairie and sell it to you for a price. :O

post-126-0-46876700-1399290352.jpg

Copyright. C. Osment.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

They'll have to do at the moment and as the well known supermarket says 'every little helps'. I will still be building the rest of the M set too.

attachicon.gifDSCN3343.jpg

Can't be too long before we see the sight of an overlong train drawing up twice at the platform on ATNB.

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised the trees aren't in green leaf down there by now especially with all the wet stuff you've had.I would definitely not want polytunnels thank you ! 

Stopped off up there again this afternoon, on the way back from an abortive trip to Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh (Thomas event in full swing and they didn't have what I wanted anyway...), from this angle, it's not looking too bad:

post-57-0-36859600-1399299327.jpg

But when you turn round slightly to the right, you get this:

post-57-0-82318400-1399299355.jpg

Anyone know approximately when farmers remove polytunnels from their land?

• RMweb Gold

I might be when the threat of frost has passed at the end of the month but obviously it's what's being grown under them that would tell.

.There's a guy on ebay who will do this to a Bachmann prairie and sell it to you for a price. :O

Once again....... Such a waste of a good loco, even the GW made some use of their loco's and stock before committing the ultimate sin !!!

Simple answer to that one Tim - when the supermarkets tell them they want it NOW!