A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

That would be in Dorset when the website is Devon railways in colour. :jester:

Only the last half mile or so of the Lyme Regis Branch is in Dorset - the rest, including the Cannington Viaduct, is in Devon. Just checked the map.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

including the Cannington Viaduct, is in Devon. Just checked the map.

Apologies then David.Where's the embarrassed button when you need one. :O

• Like 1

Apologies then David.Where's the embarrassed button when you need one. :O

No apologies needed as I just went with the photo captions, but knew that the photos weren't of Callington? Calstock Viaduct due to neither the River Tamar nor buildings under the arches being visible. Nearly out of Devon again.

• RMweb Premium

I learn something every day and of course I'm the idiot forgetting it is Calstock Viaduct. Doh!

However his caption for the Adams 4.4.2 is deffo dated too late; it's far more likely to be '56/7/8/ possibly 9; however I've already made an error :beee:  

P

Edited by Mallard60022

I learn something every day and of course I'm the idiot forgetting it is Calstock Viaduct. Doh!

However his caption for the Adams 4.4.2 is deffo dated too late; it's far more likely to be '56/7/8/ possibly 9; however I've already made an error :beee:  

P

:offtopic:

I thought the Radials lasted until 1961 with 30582 and  30583 withdrawn in Summer 1961. There are a couple of photos dated June 25 1960 and 4 January 1961 on this site

http://www.semgonline.com/location/lymeregis_02.html which should be reliably dated. Just saying..........

I think a GWR 14XX had a trial as a possible replacement for the Radials but lacked the necessary grunt (sort of back on topic)

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Zach Plunkett and Mike Roper get a surprise when City class 3440 'City of Truro' stops unexpectedly at Brent with it's very well populated B set....

post-126-0-21996900-1398706829_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-01235500-1398706846_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-91144300-1398706905_thumb.jpg

You have to say what a beautiful model this is from Bachmann.More anon.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

will you be getting the Dukedog after seeing Nick's then?

Oh go on then if you're buying. :no:

Here's the view we might get from the footbridge that one day might arrive to get passengers to the up platform.

post-126-0-05542400-1398711851_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-85030700-1398711916_thumb.jpg

A front end view that looks much better for the awful coupling removed.

post-126-0-77138100-1398711929_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Where is your Star Rob I'm sure you shelled out on 4003 Lode Star last year it would look good with CoT on the front an a 10-12 coach train.

Forgot to mention Mike will be giving you ear-ache with no lamps on CoT.

I think Rob forgot to mention that the Station Lampie had to take them off to refill with lamp oil.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Rob just remind me how under scale your mock-up of the Brent Down Station Building is to set my mind at rest.

Can't remember exactly but with Sierd's permission I could send you the pdf file he gave me.I printed the mock up off at 55% to get what you see now.I would say the depth isn't far away but without a rule to hand I'm not sure of the length.

Can't remember exactly but with Sierd's permission I could send you the pdf file he gave me.I printed the mock up off at 55% to get what you see now.I would say the depth isn't far away but without a rule to hand I'm not sure of the length.

No need for the pdf file - I was just idly speculating to myself that it was probably printed at about 60% of "full scale", so perhaps I'm not too far out. 

• RMweb Gold

It was decided the size was 51.5 feet so the model will measure 206mm in length by 38mm wide. The canopy will be 248mm long to match the up station building and the eventual footbridge. I'll measure the mock up tomorrow.

On measuring the mock up it's 140mm in length as opposed to the full 206mm it will be.

Edited by gwrrob

It was decided the size was 51.5 feet so the model will measure 206mm in length by 38mm wide. The canopy will be 248mm long to match the up station building and the eventual footbridge. I'll measure the mock up tomorrow.

On measuring the mock up it's 140mm in length as opposed to the full 206mm it will be.

Surely the canopy will need to be quite a bit longer than 248mm? 248mm less 206mm is just 42mm i.e. only 10'6"?

• RMweb Gold

Surely the canopy will need to be quite a bit longer than 248mm? 248mm less 206mm is just 42mm i.e. only 10'6"?

The canopy on the up station building was always shorter in length [is 240mm] of the prototype due to space restrictions and I didn't want it to dominate the platform.The down platform building canopy is to be the same David if not slightly longer..

post-126-0-98129600-1398794670_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Which day? Myself and few fellow members of the Didcot tribe are there on the Sunday...

Not sure for definite yet but I've been on the Sunday the last couple of years.It's my favourite show.Mike Stationmaster and Chris F of this thread usually goes.Captain Kernow was there last year.I can see a RMweb gathering coming on.

Hi Chris,

No, it's more of a black cowboy / bushman's style hat but it does have a small GWR roundel and a Castle badge on it!

When they said Great WESTERN Society, I think I misunderstood...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

A gathering would be a good idea.  I'd like to meet Castle for one.  Should I look out for a copper cap?

Chris

No problem Chris - I know him and will point him out in the event that I happen to see both you and him at the same time.  Hope the presence of the GWS bunch doesn't mean we'll be short of seats at breakfast time :O