A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Aw - c'mon. It's really not that far from EGGsitter.......

Yep, they were eggsported via Eggesford. In wartime there was a nasty incident involving a ship being shelled by a german warship until a squadron of RAF boys were scrambled from Dunkswell. Some soldiers took a dip to rescue survivors.

• RMweb Gold

Mirth and frivolity is not allowed on this thread. :nono: 

just kidding :jester: 

Happy Easter All

Haven't you seen my modelling attempts then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Easter, Rob - and thanks for all those nice videos! Yes very time consuming as you say, but a treat for the rest of us.

The sound effects are impressive. TBH I'm not quite sure it's my thing personally (especially with the tank engines, for some reason), but that's just an individual thing and I admire any attempt to bring new dimensions into railway modelling.

• Like 1

Yep, they were eggsported via Eggesford. In wartime there was a nasty incident involving a ship being shelled by a german warship until a squadron of RAF boys were scrambled from Dunkswell. Some soldiers took a dip to rescue survivors.

I think that yolk has gone far enough!

• RMweb Gold

Happy Easter, Rob - and thanks for all those nice videos! Yes very time consuming as you say, but a treat for the rest of us.

The sound effects are impressive. TBH I'm not quite sure it's my thing personally (especially with the tank engines, for some reason), but that's just an individual thing and I admire any attempt to bring new dimensions into railway modelling.

Thanks Mikkel.I agree but as usual I was trying to put my individual touch to something that those with dcc sound take for granted.I've got to think of ways of keeping you all interested.

• RMweb Gold

With all this jolly Easter fun I thought I'd share a few thoughts on 78xx's. Robin's video  of 7804 Baydon Manor made me dig out my version of 7802 Bradley Manor which has been languishing in a drawer awaiting repair.

I'm a real fan of the Manor Class as Robin knows.  I love their graceful design, the 'Manor' title in their names and the work they were associated with either be it on the Cambrian lines or piloting over the South Devon/Cornwall banks.

Robin like myself has taken a few liberties with their allocation to Newton Abbot pre-nationalisation and they didn't arrive this far west until the late 1940's/early 1950's.  When they did they were allocated to Newton Abbot, Laira, St.Blazey and Truro. 

With my proposed layout based on a quarry in the Teign Valley around 1947 I thought a Manor would be a nice addition to the stud.  Manor's were the largest class of engine permitted on the line between Heathfield-Exeter.

A couple of years ago I made over a couple of Bachmann Manors using Fox decals/nameplates and adding some additional detailing. Both were named after locations close to Newton-these being 7802 Bradley Manor and 7807 Compton Manor. I sold 7807 on a few years ago and 7802 awaited repairs.

One of the changes I did make to the Bachmann model was change the chimney as it neither matches the 'original design' or the later pattern BR version. Looking for a suitable replacement Andy M of this parish suggested using a PDK 'original pattern' chimney that looks superb.  Here's a few shots of 7802-showing the replacement chimney which needs re-fixing and a few other tweaks.

post-7584-0-43516300-1398071638_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-78236800-1398071656_thumb.jpg

Hopefully one day we'll see a new version the Manor Class but in the meantime the Bachmann model which dates from the 1980's is all we have unless kit building is your thing.  I may send 7802 off to Bachmann to be attended to.

Robin's video shows the class off nicely and it's always a pleasure to see 7804 at work on ANTB. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the Manor pulling away, Robin. It did indeed interrupt the consumption of chocolate. ....For a bit at least.

I was eggstreamly eggcited to see the footage. I may have to shell out for a sound system in the new railway room, no doubt poaching someone else's ideas to get eggs actly what I require. The scramble for another choccie thing resumed shortly after.

Fat Rob

• RMweb Gold

A couple of years ago I made over a couple of Bachmann Manors using Fox decals/nameplates and adding some additional detailing. Both were named after locations close to Newton-these being 7802 Bradley Manor and 7807 Compton Manor. I sold 7807 on a few years ago and 7802 awaited repairs.

One of the changes I did make to the Bachmann model was change the chimney as it neither matches the 'original design' or the later pattern BR version. Looking for a suitable replacement Andy M of this parish suggested using a PDK 'original pattern' chimney that looks superb.  Here's a few shots of 7802-showing the replacement chimney which needs re-fixing and a few other tweaks.

attachicon.gif7802 Bradley Manor 20-04-2014 043psrmweb.jpg

attachicon.gif7802 Bradley Manor 20-04-2014 047rmweb.jpg

Really nice work there Mark.Of course you're more than welcome to loan me 7802 for ANTB locos roster anytime. ;)

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Blimey the 150th page. :O

Well as it's a Bank Holiday Monday....

4547 takes it single coach and Hydra down the branch.Inspired by Coachmans Greenfield layout shots through his bridge.I though I'd try something similar.

post-126-0-56542500-1398075075_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-42999900-1398075090_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78211500-1398075103_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-82144000-1398075117_thumb.jpg

Yes it does have a tail lamp fitted. ;)

post-126-0-87995500-1398075132.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Having missed all the frivolity and fun that is not allowed on this thread and missed out on eggs as I am a drake not a duck, all I can say is..... Eggbuckland (a real place)........

Manors dear boy, Manors. Can't have enough of them thee knaws :mail:

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Manors are just right. A sort of pocket-sized GWR 4-6-0. The morning route-refresh trip from Reading to Redhill and back, which had 43xx power when I first took an interest about 1960, stepped up to Manors instead in about 1961 or '62. I think they stayed until the abolition of steam on the route at New Year 1965.  

• Like 2

.... Eggbuckland (a real place)...

P

Used to live there. So did maternal great grandfather, who ran the (then) New Inn in 1895 or thereabouts. Story of great uncle and my grandmother and a large dog hitched to a dog cart. Dog went a little too fast, scared grandmother ( who was 3-4 at the time) and hiding for great uncle. Shortly after that he lied about his age and went off to fight in the second Boer War.

In about 1965 the New Inn was renamed the Prince Maurice.

• Like 1