A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I believe that was the elusive 31st member of the class 7830 shedded at Newton Abbot from new till it was reallocated to the Cambrian division in the late 1950's. *

Photographs of it are quite rare by all accounts? ;)

Cheers,

Mark

*Or have I had too much Stilton?  :jester: 

Hi All,

I think that No. 7830 was a very early entrant to the strategic reserve wasn't it? I would make a model of it but I don't know what the shed code for Box Tunnel is...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

What are you changing the bogies to?

Thanks,

I was going to try the Collett RA07 ones sold by Replica Models at £1.35 a pair .Just the plastic bogie with no wheels.They have a press stud similar to the old Mainline type and should just be a straight swap.£10 minimum order though.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/accessories

Here's the siphon I've done so far.This one has Bachmann bogies on it.The K40 has now been lowered since this was taken.With its Comet bogies on sometimes they catch on the underframe and need packing.I over did mine hence the mismatch with the gangways. 

post-126-0-65618800-1388243132_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

......... I would make a model of it but I don't know what the shed code for Box Tunnel is...

Looking through learned publications of the time it appears the shed code for Box Tunnel was:

80X     :jester:

No stopping you now Castle! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Hi All,

Mark - how did I miss that one? Very good!

Rob - why not do what I do if the coach comes out slightly high? Use slightly smaller wheels - Hornby straight from the pack work just fine for me!

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was going to try the Collett RA07 ones sold by Replica Models at £1.35 a pair .Just the plastic bogie with no wheels.They have a press stud similar to the old Mainline type and should just be a straight swap.£10 minimum order though.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/accessories

Here's the siphon I've done so far.This one has Bachmann bogies on it.The K40 has now been lowered since this was taken.With its Comet bogies on sometimes they catch on the underframe and need packing.I over did mine hence the mismatch with the gangways. 

attachicon.gifDSCN2783.jpg

Rob - he's usually at the Maidenhead show which is next week (04 January) and I hope to be attending - hint!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some of you might be interested in my siphons so I'll shew you them here.Coupled using the Tony Wright method but I use a tension lock on the loco.

Weathered example number 1358.Comet gangways with a piece of crepe paper glued to the top and painted black to represent its covering.I didn't want the gangways touching or you will get a derailment on any curve.

post-126-0-45861700-1388322505_thumb.jpg

Next to an unweathered renumbered version with original bogies.

post-126-0-09399200-1388322593_thumb.jpg

Same as first photo.

post-126-0-49125200-1388322649_thumb.jpg

Coupled together.Notice the different size buffers.Comet are larger and I may use them on the whole rake yet.What's the verdict on this ?

post-126-0-57563600-1388322691_thumb.jpg

Tony Wrights coupling method.

post-126-0-04584600-1388322771_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Oooh, more Siphons. We can never get enough of those. Amazing what a difference your gangways make, looks great.

Interesting about the crepe paper. Does the paint stick well to it? I'm looking for ways to make covers for horse drawn vehicles, so need that partially rumpled, partially smooth look. 

• RMweb Gold

Interesting about the crepe paper. Does the paint stick well to it? I'm looking for ways to make covers for horse drawn vehicles, so need that partially rumpled, partially smooth look. 

I used enamel and it took it fine.I used pva glue to stick it to the whitemetal casting.As supplied the Comet gangway is supposed to be soldered but I used Devcon and using the crepe paper covers any mismatch.

• RMweb Gold

Also on my workbench recently have been this pair of Bachmann toads.Hopefully a new version will be released if I continue to work on mine. ;)

Both have a Laira branding but the numbers are wrong.I've fitted the Shawplan Extreme Etchings EEFG-GW20tB pack at £4 a throw for four tiny pieces of glazing as shewn in the photos.To glue them I used Green Scene GS342 liquid glass.The hardest part is getting the body apart to do it.A nice Smiths instanter coupling on the unused end too.The correct lamps too otherwise Mike will slap my wrists. :P 

post-126-0-59883000-1388328643_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-82401400-1388328658_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-12083000-1388328676_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-18810400-1388328699_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Captain Kernow of this parish has been out and about in the lovely wintry countryside with his camera today and has sent some photos for using as a backscene for my fiddle yard. :good: Top bloke CK.

Here's the area I want to use them.

post-126-0-71679000-1388333889_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78089700-1388333918_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-81156800-1388333976_thumb.jpg

Here's CK's offerings to fill the scene.What's the verdict ? Plenty of seafoam can disguise the join. ;)

post-126-0-59607800-1388333997.jpg

post-126-0-91990100-1388334009.jpg

• Like 8

Oooh, more Siphons. We can never get enough of those. Amazing what a difference your gangways make, looks great.

I used paper handkerchiefs, just one layer, for the roofs of closed vans. Glued it on with PVA and painted it with acrylic paints. Worked well.

In this case you have a white paper in stead of a colored one.  Crepe paper, that is colored, can be messy.

I don't know what kind of crepe paper gwrrob used.

• RMweb Gold

Here's CK's offerings to fill the scene.What's the verdict ? Plenty of seafoam can disguise the join. ;)

No verdict needed. They are kosher pics of the right area and much more realistic than the generic snaps that so many of us use. A no-brainer.

• RMweb Gold

Amongst friends here I hope so I shall admit to being confused and embarrassed. Hogwarts Castle is a Hall ??????????

Yes. 5972 'Olton Hall' to be exact. ;)

Now Colin can you remove that red coat as Christmas is over. :jester: BTW. Good win for your team today.

• RMweb Gold

Yes. 5972 'Olton Hall' to be exact. ;)

Now Colin can you remove that red coat as Christmas is over. :jester: BTW. Good win for your team today.

Thanks on all counts!

I may change the avatar later if I can prise the laptop out of the lovely wife's grasp.

Two follow-up HC questions then, is Hornby's a Hall or a Castle, and has/will it appear on ANTB???

• RMweb Gold

Amongst friends here I hope so I shall admit to being confused and embarrassed. Hogwarts Castle is a Hall ??????????

In a world where the train departs from Platform nine-and-three-quarters (so I'm told), calling a Hall a Castle would seem very small beer......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two follow-up HC questions then, is Hornby's a Hall or a Castle, and has/will it appear on ANTB???

https://www.Hornby.com/shop/locomotives/r3169-gwr-4-6-0-olton-hall-4900-hall-class/

Hornby originally used their old Castle body to do Hogwarts  http://www.ehattons.com/20716/Hornby_R2662_Hogwarts_Express_steam_loco_Hogwarts_Castle_Harry_Potter_/StockDetail.aspx

I think they are planning on using a correct model Hall here in their new release program.

As for one on ANTB.Watch this space.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In a world where the train departs from Platform nine-and-three-quarters (so I'm told), calling a Hall a Castle would seem very small beer......

Yes but in a world where vociferous discussions take place regarding the number of spokes on pony wheels, how did they get away with providing totally the wrong class of loco ?????

• RMweb Gold

Yes but in a world where vociferous discussions take place regarding the number of spokes on pony wheels, how did they get away with providing totally the wrong class of loco ?????

Probably because it was aimed at the kids toy market and us grown ups turned a blind eye to the anomaly.A bit like some things I shew on this thread from time to time.

• RMweb Gold

Without brown nosing too much and talking of CK earlier caused me to find another photo he helped me with back in 2009. :good:

The road on top of my overbridge that winds down into the village.You can see a bit of the steel works on the left.

Here's CK's photo minus all modern road signs etc.

post-126-0-97660500-1388351387.jpg

Here it is on my backscene hopefully blending in with various scenic pieces.If you walk directly down this road you will come to the well known hostelry The Packhorse Inn.

post-126-0-26598600-1388351486.jpg

Nearly up to date here....

post-126-0-46962800-1388351953.jpg

post-126-0-36433100-1388352283.jpg

90 degrees right and taken this year with two trees hiding a multitude of sins. ;) 3796 does the honours.

post-126-0-59137900-1388353706_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

But who knows what is the correct type of loco - the name is meaningless in identifying the engine as a GWR 'castle' because other Railways had engines named after castles (various).  So the model is simply a model of the filmstar engine - which just happened to be 'Hall' although i believe on one occasion a 'Hogwarts Express' promotional train was worked by one of Mr Bulleid's creations.

• RMweb Gold

But who knows what is the correct type of loco - the name is meaningless in identifying the engine as a GWR 'castle' because other Railways had engines named after castles (various).  So the model is simply a model of the filmstar engine - which just happened to be 'Hall' although i believe on one occasion a 'Hogwarts Express' promotional train was worked by one of Mr Bulleid's creations.

And if I remember rightly the loco on the cover of the first book looked a lot closer to something LMS, a patriot maybe.

Speaking of "hogwarts castle" looks like the Americans have built a couple of 12 inch to the foot scale models of ought on hall (complete with br smoke box numbers) for a theme park ride

• RMweb Gold

Mike im sorry I have no wonderful technical argument to throw back at you as I was simply having a bit of fun.

it just amused me that hogwarts castle is actually a hall, and that despite having a hall, Hornby decided to sell a castle made to look like a hall pretending to be a castle, and that none of the people who give Dapol dave as was all that hassle about rivets said a word ;O)