Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

My query was whether the gas, water or telephone company needs my permission to dig up the road on my side. And if so how much can I charge them?

Off topic but very interesting.

Jonathan

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On a private road then they probably would need permission. I know when I was a kid we owned a house on a private road and were responsible for the bit outside our front (all the houses were on one side) including drains and services. When the fields opposite were built over with a new estate in the mid 60s Dad couldn't wait for the council to adopt the road and remove the financial burden of its upkeep.

Most roads are "adopted" and thus their upkeep, and that of the services beneath their surface are the responsibility of the Local Authority who don't have to ask your permission to do such works. Looking at my land deed map it only shows my land stretching to the edge if the pavement, not beyond, so I'm not sure about the accuracy of that earlier link, though to be fair it even admits things aren't that simple in real life 

Edited by Hobby

3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Should both residents in the above diagram have garden railways, it would be legal to dig a tunnel under the road to link them. 🙂

Ownership of the tunnel would change at the middle of the road.

You'll need something like this if you're not going to dig up the highway

https://czxuanxuan.en.made-in-china.com/product/dBSxZCKEysYL/China-Slurry-800mm-Telecoms-Cable-Ducts-Tunnel-Boring-Machine.html

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Looking at my land deed map it only shows my land stretching to the edge if the pavement, not beyond, so I'm not sure about the accuracy of that earlier link, though to be fair it even admits things aren't that simple in real life 

You may still very likely be able to claim ownership of the land below your side of the road. See:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/land-registry-plans-boundaries/land-registry-plans-boundaries-practice-guide-40-supplement-3#legal-presumptions

"There are 2 presumptions relating to the ownership of the soil of a roadway (where a road or path is a highway maintainable at the public expense, the surface vests in the highway authority: section 263 of the Highways Act 1980). The first is that the owner of land abutting on a road is also the owner of the adjoining section of the road up to the middle line (ad medium filum). The second is that where a conveyance or transfer of land abutting on a road is made by someone owning land on one side of it only, then if they can be proved or are presumed, to own also the road up to the middle line, this half of the roadway is included in the conveyance or transfer."

"Where the boundary is a general boundary, we still try to show the land and its boundaries as accurately as possible. So if a person has grounds for believing a legal presumption operates and the red edging on a title plan ought to include additional land as a result, they may apply for the register to be altered to show the red edging on the plan in a more accurate position."

Not that owning the land gets you much further -- unless you want to dig a railway tunnel. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

it would be legal to dig a tunnel under the road to link them

It might be legal, but probably unsafe. Goodness knows what utility services are present under the road - gas mains, water mains, sewers, electricity cables, communications cables, etc etc.

Slice into one of those and you'll be liable...if still living.

Yours, Mike.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

whether the gas, water or telephone company needs my permission to dig up the road

In a word: no.

They have to apply to the highway authority for suitable legal agreement before they put those services in, but once that is done, they have the right to maintain them. They do have to apply to dig up the road - hence all those notices you will find in your local paper - but rarely does such a request get refused, although the highway authority does have power of refusal.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

It might be legal, but probably unsafe. Goodness knows what utility services are present under the road - gas mains, water mains, sewers, electricity cables, communications cables, etc etc.

Slice into one of those and you'll be liable...if still living.

Yours, Mike.

There was a smily on that. This is a model railway forum, I was trying to keep on-topic. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

AHEM ! .......... sorry - but I think we might be happy to discuss this sort of stupidity !!1005_23x.jpg.9d1eefd8877b0112870fa54317713ef9.jpg

Yes, the old 'road tarmac / road markings over the rails' cliché : East Croydon, 7/8/99 ................ and I know it's not strictly a level crossing ... and the tramway didn't open for another nine months !

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, dunwurken said:

For those who like me have limited German the long and the short of this is steam train hits lorry on crossing

https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen/dresden/dippoldiswalde-sebnitz/weisseritztalbahn-unfall-lkw-kran-gleis-100~amp.html

It did better than the steam locomotive in Victoria, Australia, where it hit a grain train, killing 3 on the footplate!

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Interesting - it looks like the loco has gone out of its way to collide with the truck ... or at least the truck that's visible in the pictures !

Quite remarkable, particularly as the collision appears to have deposited about a ton of scrap iron on top of the locomotives’ boiler🙂

On a serious note, hopefully no one was injured.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Deeps said:

Quite remarkable, particularly as the collision appears to have deposited about a ton of scrap iron on top of the locomotives’ boiler🙂

On a serious note, hopefully no one was injured.

I used Google Translate, there were three people with minor injuries. The loco will cost an estimated £42, 600 to repair. Someone's insurance company will not be happy.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Five according to my translation ........ as for the loco, I don't think I can see any damage on the right hand side - just the lamps etc. on the front - very odd.

They said the frames might be damaged or cracked and some wheels might need replacing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Nah - that scrap iron was already on the boiler ....

516_03.jpg.c2486faa9c0ed1bcb02a37a6a64590ad.jpg

Freital Coßmannsdorf ; 30/4/91

Continental, so road signs would appear on the right of the driver.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They said the frames might be damaged or cracked and some wheels might need replacing.

Indeed, they'd have to check just in case - but that'll be from the derailment rather than from whatever collision caused it to derail ......... and I can see nothing that would have caused it to veer to the left.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

and I can see nothing that would have caused it to veer to the left.

Surely that's just down to what angle the two vehicles came into contact, I could see it happening by the lorry getting caught up with the loco and the two being dragged round together which would explain how the rear of the lorry is alongside the loco. The combined weight would be enough to derail the loco and after that the trajectory makes sense.

EDIT: There's a video here which confirms it and shows the accident, looks like the lorry ran the crossing judging by the speed it was going.

https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen/dresden/dippoldiswalde-sebnitz/weisseritztalbahn-unfall-lkw-kran-gleis-100.html#:~:text=Der Polizei zufolge war am,und eine Laterne beschädigt worden.

Edited by Hobby
More information came to light!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4