Level crossing stupidity...

Red and green flags have not been updated in years! :)

Neither have those wonky signals, okay the wires that operate them might have been changed every 20 or 30 years but the levers, interlocking and signals are probably the same, how long do these digital systems last?

• Like 1

Those lights sound bright:

'Howard Denner was at Sheringham Golf Club at the time the crash happened and said: “I heard the level crossing flashing then there was a big crash.'

Normal for Norfolk.

Pete, Sheringham resident, and at age 51, possibly the youngest adult male in the town...

• RMweb Gold

Those lights sound bright:

'Howard Denner was at Sheringham Golf Club at the time the crash happened and said: “I heard the level crossing flashing then there was a big crash.'

A very important independent quote, though, if any evidence were needed, that the crossing was operating correctly.

• RMweb Premium

A very important independent quote, though, if any evidence were needed, that the crossing was operating correctly.

Agreed & I'm sure the 'sound' of lights flashing will be accepted for what the witness meant. If a witness noted the crossing was working, then the car driver ought to.

Maybe his SatNav didn't tell him the lights were flashing - and he couldn't here them above the car radio.

I think the above maybe said in jest, but that's a very poor argument, if he is driving 'head down' and engrossed in his stereo that is driving without due care and attention.

Plus, even if he was, I would propose it would be quite difficult to miss a big black, red and blue thing with steam coming out of it!

Simon

It was correctly quoted in a local media report where it says that gentleman saw the lights flashing and heard the audible signal.

To be fair, you don't know which is the correct quote. The local media reporter might have been on the ball, thought WTF? and corrected it.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

I think the above maybe said in jest, but that's a very poor argument, if he is driving 'head down' and engrossed in his stereo that is driving without due care and attention.

Plus, even if he was, I would propose it would be quite difficult to miss a big black, red and blue thing with steam coming out of it!

Simon

No argument whatsoever .......... the guy didn't see / chose to ignore / thought he could beat the big black, red and blue thing with steam coming out of it ................. driving without care and attention ? - most certainly !

Near here on the main BNSF/UP line, there is a grade/level crossing with barriers and lights which is a favourite spot for joggers to jog themselves into eternity. Just recently a jogger, complete with headphones waited for the train on the nearest track to pass and promptly ran into another from the opposite direction on the second track. Apparently she was jogging in place waiting and just carried on, omitting to look in both directions again.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Near here on the main BNSF/UP line, there is a grade/level crossing with barriers and lights which is a favourite spot for joggers to jog themselves into eternity. Just recently a jogger, complete with headphones waited for the train on the nearest track to pass and promptly ran into another from the opposite direction on the second track. Apparently she was jogging in place waiting and just carried on, omitting to look in both directions again.

Brian.

Darwin Award Winner...

Brian.

Stepping out from behind one train and under another is a very easy way to kill yourself. To the extent that it was one of the things we were warned about in the somewhat basic PW safety training BR did forty years ago before you were allowed to wander about the track on your own.

• Like 1

Stepping out from behind one train and under another is a very easy way to kill yourself. To the extent that it was one of the things we were warned about in the somewhat basic PW safety training BR did forty years ago before you were allowed to wander about the track on your own.

When having a cab-ride from St-Lazare to Le Havre, I noticed the driver sounded his horn when approaching any station where there was already a train on the other platform.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It’s my biggest fear/worry while out driving, I always blow the horn at the rear of a train going the other way if there is a crossing in view

I’m like nidge, hand over the horn when passing a stationary train in a platform, just in case

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Brian.

According to some news reports she was wearing earplugs listening to music on her tablet.