Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

Which makes it all the stranger that anyone should use a green flag/lamp handsignal under any circumstances.

Jim

A green light is still used in shunting at night of course (to the extent that any shunting still takes place at night using handsignals)  and it makes considerable sense as green is very obviously different from white to the extent that yellow wouldn't be in some lighting etc conditions.  

The only other green handsignal which now seems to be in the Rule Book is that used at a level crossing as mentioned in an earlier post.  However unfortunately for reasons I can't honestly fathom handsignals are now spread all over the place in the RSSN Rule Book - which is definitely not the format I follow when writing a Rule Book (and I also avoid the ambiguity/inadequacy contained in some of the RSSB's entries in respect of handsignals where the 'simpleton English' they use has reduced the distinction between some handsignals (particularly those involving a green light).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have in the not too distant past received a green ‘ipad Screen’ as my authority to pass over a crossing under local control as the crossing attendant forgot his lamp and flags!

As mike says the green light at night is relevant, telling me to move slowly while shunting, can’t quite remember off hand if the signal to do a braketest is also a green lamp twisted side to side or a white one, this day and age it’s all done by 2 way radio!

Regards yellow flags passing signals at danger with a handsignaller I see it as “if ive just passed a yellow then I treat the next signal as being red”

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to Onibury, the guy that turned up on the night (the car was back on its wheels by then) took this pic of the pedestal that got hit and mused about the prospect of him working there when something like that happens............

post-7024-0-30567400-1542126473.jpg

• Like 1

I have in the not too distant past received a green ‘ipad Screen’ as my authority to pass over a crossing under local control as the crossing attendant forgot his lamp and flags!

I remember many years ago shunting back with a long train,looking back thinking we must be nearly there now when the white light suddenly changed into a strange orange, when the guard walked up he said that his bardic had jammed -not unusual- so he had shone it through his Orange dustcoat. Quick thinking I thought- seems they were from the same school :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I remember many years ago shunting back with a long train,looking back thinking we must be nearly there now when the white light suddenly changed into a strange orange, when the guard walked up he said that his bardic had jammed -not unusual- so he had shone it through his Orange dustcoat. Quick thinking I thought- seems they were from the same school :)

That was the cause of a spad in a possession back in 2002 at Rockcliffe hall, can’t remember the ins and outs but the driver saw a yellow(ish) light and passed the signal but it was a torch/bardic that had been accidentally left on in a pocket of a track worker stood near the signal

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to Onibury, the guy that turned up on the night (the car was back on its wheels by then) took this pic of the pedestal that got hit and mused about the prospect of him working there when something like that happens............

Image%20Today%20at%2010_01_47.jpg

Especially when you see the amount of lorry’s that use that road, if a little Aygo sized car can do that I dread to think what a fully laden log truck could do

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifImage%20Today%20at%2010_01_47.jpg

Seeing this image I am reminded of a crossing /car bang at Pont Croesor on the Welsh Highland Railway  a few years ago. A car driven by an inexperienced youth left the carriageway - by going straight on when road turned right on the level crossing - the car demolished the cross loc totally.  After rebuild a piece of Armco barrier now fronts the crossing contorl loc and power loc cabinets.   

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That deserves a two-shot penalty for being late on the tee..........

It's going to cost in financial terms: the driver was "a young man" and insurance premiums for young people are not cheap, and this one should go up for next year. And perhaps PC Plod should have him in court for ignoring the flashing red lights.

• RMweb Gold

"PC Jon Parker was one of the officers on the scene of the incident and said on Twitter: “Currently on scene at a train vs car incident. Unsurprisingly, the train emerged the victor."

The car driver needs to watch Clarkson's educational video about level crossings.........lucky it wasn't a 31 at speed..

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 3