Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Premium

If you want stupidity.

A new passenger service opened 11 days ago in Fort Lauderdale called Brightline.

It mostly uses tracks of a freight carrier (the Florida East Coast)

So far, three people have died jumping the crossings as they think it's only a slow freight coming instead of a passenger doing 50-80mph.

And it's not as if it appeared overnight. It has been in the planning and build for about 5 years and trains have been running for about 6 months on testing and crew training.

Because there are more trains now running - possibly up to 44 extra per day when services ramp up, there have been calls for "quiet zones" so the trains don't have to approach them with constant horns and bells in residential areas. Thus meaning the possibility of more people being unaware of an approaching train.

Extra measures have been installed i.e. full barriers with drop down gating to hopefully stop people just ducking under, but they haven't yet been approved by the FRA, partly as a result of the recent deaths.

There was one comment on a news feed calling for the cessation of the new service as it's killing too many people, but every reply to it was basically along the lines of "people are getting killed because they are stupid.........."

Cheers,

Mick

Strange place Ashland. Trains don't sound horns, pass through in daytime at 35 mph, nightime 55mph. There are proposals to add a third track also !!!! - another proposal is to put the Railroad in a trench through town, or perhaps bypass it. Lots of controversy. Google it.

In Yankland, the barriers go down about 10 seconds before the train bowls through - sometimes a mile long at 70mph.

These are good webcams, 

https://www.youtube.com/virtualrailfan

Level crossing action at Ashland, LaGrange & La Plata. The latter is high speed heavy trains, Santa Fe mainline thru Missouri. Inattentive motorists nightmare. !!  You can wind back the action 3 hours on these webcams.

Warning - These sites are addictive !!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

the time stamp at the top of the screen suggests only 4 minutes from the car crashing and the train arriving...

And with CSX's despatching centre somewhere down in Florida there would almost certainly be a delay in getting the message to the train.   It did seem to stop pretty quickly only about 1 loco length past the car.   Fortunately it looked as if the occupants had managed to get our as both front doors were open.

Jamie

And with CSX's despatching centre somewhere down in Florida there would almost certainly be a delay in getting the message to the train.   It did seem to stop pretty quickly only about 1 loco length past the car.   Fortunately it looked as if the occupants had managed to get our as both front doors were open.

Jamie

Have there been any calls to put a wall up so cars cant turn onto the railway?  :fool:   :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

Some years ago I was on an Amtrak train stuck at frozen points near Chicago.

I was told that the "signaller" controlling the points was in Florida.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago I was on an Amtrak train stuck at frozen points near Chicago.

I was told that the "signaller" controlling the points was in Florida.

I think that most of CSX is signalled from Jacksonville, UP from Omaha and BNSF from Fort Worth so if you were on CSX tracks it would be Florida.   There are I believe some joint despatching centres for areas such as Houston and LA.   regarding the video the train must have had some warning because if stopped pretty soon after it hit the car.

Jamie

• Like 1

Found it. Watch full size, look at the exhaust area on the red car that backs into the parking space.

Stewartt

Ashland, VA - home to simple folk.

Ok, who noticed the "Trains and Toys" shop next door?

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 4

Ashland, VA - home to simple folk.

Ok, who noticed the "Trains and Toys" shop next door?

Tiny Tims Trains n Toys, seems interesting - they also stock fire extinguishers !!!!!

http://www.trainandtoystore.com/

Here is some info about ashlands railroad proposals - seems the locals love "their" railroad !

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/ashland/trench-option-under-ashland-emerges-in-federal-rail-talks-that/article_8fb906cc-dfe8-578a-b4a2-ce5871d92279.html

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/ashland/drpt-recommends-----rail-option-through-ashland/article_f782ec7f-74ba-528f-9b35-f47d13bf499c.html

https://mainstreetashland.org/main-street-news

Place I'd like to visit !!

Brit15

Cant believe the attitude of the car owner he just wandered off and did nothing ,thank goodness the chap with the exstiungsher was  there a good neighbour.

Well, he didn't seem to care he nudged the blue car behind him when he was shuffling his car into parking position...

I wonder if the black pickup ever found a space? He seemed to be going round the block a few times...

• RMweb Premium

Well, he didn't seem to care he nudged the blue car behind him when he was shuffling his car into parking position...

I wonder if the black pickup ever found a space? He seemed to be going round the block a few times...

Did anyone notice the police car bottom left? It turned right into a side turning, reversed out again and then departed lights flashing bottom right.

Well, it did happen on a level crossing  - Why did the copper not chase after him ?

Laugh a minute these Yank level grade crossings !!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone notice the police car bottom left? It turned right into a side turning, reversed out again and then departed lights flashing bottom right.

Spotted the action over the tracks and responded but needed to use the grade crossing (to the right) to get there?

(Unlike the locals who try to cross where there is no tarmac! :jester:)

Keith