Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

Hi Jim,

Been watching this for quite some time. The layout is looking very good and having your own piece of model world in the garden must be fantastic to walk through the door!

I notice in your last post you say you used a 'sealing solution.' What product have you used? And also, how do you find it? As I have read various reports and contradictions that using something to seal the weathering can spoil the finish you have achieved, by for example making it become dark etc...

Many thanks,

John

Edited by 380John

• RMweb Gold

The dealer is also by MIG, it does so dark when you brush it on but once dry the pigments return to their normal colour

B8AF7BB2-3367-4BEC-BFF9-DFF6563F6F2D.jpg

I quite like the fact that when you brush it on it can run down the bodywork causing streaks or pool in crevices with pigment in

I've just given my network rail 08 a quick going over with the powers before work, it's kept quite clean so I just wanted to tone the yellow down a bit but add muck around the panel edges so I have used factory grey on the sides which I practically rubbed back off on the slab sides leaving it around panel joints and rivets, also added smoke pigment to the roof, grime pigment to the running boards and underframe and brake dust to the rigging

This is it pre sealing

9694372D-CC2D-4A70-91A0-200956D1F87D_1.j

A23FF594-B0B0-472D-AC75-330E186A9CFB_1.j

And with wet pigment sealer on having just been brushed on

3F5CADA6-0021-4A9B-BA49-F4C5067957D1_1.j

I'll get a pic of it when it's dry when I get home from work later

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting, I'm having a similar problem : my phone and computer are aware the router is there, but when I start up engine driver the app does't see the router.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Maybe I'd better get an iPhone !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

latest addition to the fleet courtesy of mick newbryford are these lovely pair of Colas barrier coaches that i picked up from him at DEMU on saturday

A28B45B2-5D93-489A-9C0D-D4B2732E512F.jpg

just need to add couplings to them and i can drag them straight into store without turning a wheel in anger just like the real thing

B26658F6-C1F5-4D20-9A44-65E46295DCD7.jpg

mick can elaborate on what he did with them, what donor vehicles were used etc 

• Like 15

Lovely addition to the fleet Jim. I'd be interested in Micks explanation. I was only looking at a picture of the real ones the other day thinking I wouldn't mind them. On a side note do you know what the KVA Colas liveried vans are going to be used for? Thought I read somewhere it was to do with bagged cement. Sorry to go off topic..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

latest addition to the fleet courtesy of mick newbryford are these lovely pair of Colas barrier coaches that i picked up from him at DEMU on saturday

A28B45B2-5D93-489A-9C0D-D4B2732E512F.jpg

mick can elaborate on what he did with them, what donor vehicles were used etc 

Lovely addition to the fleet Jim. I'd be interested in Micks explanation. I was only looking at a picture of the real ones the other day thinking I wouldn't mind them. On a side note do you know what the KVA Colas liveried vans are going to be used for? Thought I read somewhere it was to do with bagged cement. Sorry to go off topic..

Hi Scott.

Here's a link to the start of the project on my workbench page - then go onto the next page down for more pics/details.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

And all dry in natural light

F7B4E56A-B27C-4674-B172-65779873EBEF.jpg

2CD9C2C4-27FE-46B9-ABA6-2B013F3B5D5C.jpg

Compared to the original it's certainly toned the yellow down!

DEAA2424-8795-4215-B94C-10F888C18579.jpg

And the prototype in action

BCAE4E09-8BD7-4A0C-B1F7-6FE2DC4575E0.jpg

I love the fact that you have a personal link with this loco/model. Strangely, this really adds 'something' for me too, to this model. Reading this and your comments in post #638 about this being your 'pet engine' somehow elevates my example of this model from being 'just another 08 model in a new livery' to being something that is real and I have probably seen in your 'down by the tracks' thread at some point, amongst other places on the web! I know this is not surprising given that (I am guessing?) that this is the only 08 they have in yellow but it just adds an extra bit of 'interest' and something intangible that I can't quite put my finger on but I like!

So where can we all get our own mini-'Big Jim' for added realism?!! (apologies if this was covered in an earlier post!)

I have also just realised that the Hornby 08417 is the exact same 08 as the Serco livery one they did a year or two ago - that I also own - D'oh! I normally try to avoid that particular type of duplication!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can buy me from Alan at modelu, here is the relevent thread, the link is in there somewhere

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103896-big-jim-modern-diesel-driver-3d-print-available-through-modelu-soon/?fromsearch=1

As it happens (as mentioned in that thread) we are doing some more 3D scanning tomorrow along with 2 more drivers of different dimensions to me so there will be a lot more in the range very soon

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of shed time today

First up a new addition to the fleet, Bachmann 66416 in powerhaul livery

393E01B2-A137-4AD3-933B-BA78DEC1D7AA.jpg

Finally something to pull my hoppers

A32BA3AC-51C0-4004-A723-116031CDAFDD.jpg

Then I cleared the area on the edge of the layout where the tanker terminal is going to be, I keep leaning im in this area and using it as a workbench so finally putting something there may make me stop doing it!

First up I added cork then placed a knightwing tanker discharge kit (no cork down in this pic)

B4C496FE-5B3E-4755-A07F-C57B0FD47750.jpg

Then placed the track, the sidings will take 4 100t wagons at a time, I have a rake of 8 so it will have to be split in the P way yard and go in 2 halves

6B6A71CB-30D2-487A-B777-E736ED227EBD.jpg

34C19397-CD48-4851-84DB-213A3C385AAC.jpg

I then added girder and cladding to the sides of the discharge plant, my reasoning being as its so close to the mainline it would need to be hidden away incase of Fire/spillage etc, I've also loosly added a pipe rig going over the mainline to the shed

62A311C8-8F4B-4C1B-9995-16E9FE5A9A9E.jpg

71D4D9DE-E85B-41B8-B2A9-03FCBEADEC80.jpg

When I finally get round to it the fuel plant will have small tanks by it, fed from the discharge plant

1B3C2E31-012D-4BCC-AE21-D1156AB09AD8.jpg

I then had an idea about the removable section, if I put tanks down there and add a jetty to the river then that also could be some sort of boat fuelling facility, even if just modelled out of use

B87CD900-1848-46CC-B6F2-7088E44E76A9.jpg

Also today I sound chipped up my colas 70 with a Leggoman chip and fitted up a new speaker to my class 33 using a dc kits custom fuel tank housing, the sound is a massive improvement

Edited by big jim
  • Like 11

Hello Jim I would love to hear the Colas 70 with the sound chip is there any chance of a Youtube video on here when you are not busy please?  I like the way you have done the track at different heights . . . are the Woodland Scenic inclines decent to use for this as they certainly look the part in your photos.  When I move house and start my new garage layout I would like to have some inclines and two level track work.  I like the recent work on the fuel plant and the tanks by the water side look good.  Looking forward to more updates.

• RMweb Gold

laid a bit of cork last night between the bay platform and through line

81CAEE37-8649-4775-9734-231992C9AF7E.jpg

then relayed and tacked down the bay platform track

93F7A8A9-E92D-4C05-ACAA-C35F3A401C55.jpg

inspected for clearance with the observation saloon

F74E92FC-988B-44E9-8FC6-08C4192964B2.jpg

70B8518A-8766-4B04-8239-C620D5105847.jpg

the centre road isnt attached yet but this is the finished article, the middle road is going to stop short of the canopy

D829E496-DAA4-4F1A-98F6-80FB0DFFDB97.jpg

and just to be sure the structure gauging train had a run along the bay too

77B5479F-A799-4379-AB04-03963ED2418B.jpg

2F946E94-7FBF-466B-BD07-CC4E38167247.jpg

overview

FEF6792B-C45E-455B-BCC2-D90EB0227611.jpg

and the 37s on shed

A24F31F4-5E74-4150-9674-B5528C108F2B.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

had a running session earlier and managed to get a vid of the leggomanbiffo class 70 in action, needs the cv's fine tuning as i couldnt get it to stop where i wanted, seems a long time from hitting 0 on the controller and stopping!

loving the dynamic brake sound which is what sold it to me over my old howes 3.5 chip

the zimo chip i fitted to my Bachmann 37 has gone haywire though, cant control it at all for some reason the horn keeps blowing every 30 seconds despite it not being selected as a function on the handset, so far my first experience wth zimo has been a very poor one, to my ear it really has no real descernable difference between it and a lok-sound (unless im missing something important) and its no more drivable than any other chips ive got

to be honest i think its been a complete waste of money as with a decent speaker it was only a few quid shy of what a lok-sound V4 costs therefore i will be sticking with lok-sound in the future, i like to plug and play not plug and spend hours programming

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I've got to really tidy up the track on the layout, the inclines are all well and good but certain locos don't like them on the transition between the flat and incline, there is also a dip I've discovered on the plain line of the removable section too which the Dapol wagons don't like as they sometimes uncouple on the move when they ride over also the Bachmann 66 just loses electrical contact for a split second when it gets to it and glides to a stop then restarts without having to touch it, Almost like the driver has missed the vigilance!

I've still got to re-solder the track on the end of the removable section so I can use both roads, I was planning on doing it today but my modelling mojo has gone at the mo, got so much I want to carry on with but in the end I just fancied a videoing session in the end (I'm impressed with the result from my new go-pro camera)

Once I fit the extra set of points in the station area for the line between the bay and mainline then that will ready to start putting ballast down etc and continue with the station area detailing, finish the fuel tanks etc

Also discovered earlier that my lenz handset has stopped working too, had nothing but trouble with it for ages with loose wires, it's been back to a+H for repair under warrentee 3 times, last time I had the cable swapped for a curly one but that's gone now too after only a couple of years (if that) I can still control the layout with touchcab but I can't change cv's etc so can't reset the zimo 37 chip or adjust the accelleration and braking on the 70 yet

Of course work is really getting in the way at the mo too