Great British Locomotives

EddieB

If you want a "correct" model the J38 is only the same as a J39 minus splashers if you choose one of those J38s reboilered with J39 boiler. The original J38 boiler was 6" longer in the barrel, with smokebox 6" shorter and chimney further forward.

Could you recommend a book that would pride me with this information? I couldn't find it online. Also does your resin range include a suitable smaller group standard tender, something along the lines of the size and shape of the K4 tender?

Thanks

Edited by WD0-6-0

So to turn it into a j38 all you need to do is cut off the splashers? Pity the wheels are metal otherwise I could have cut the top of the wheels off for a simple conversion.

The J38 Wheels are smaller in diameter (The book says the sizes, but it is not here with me!).

The basic work is done, the running plate is filled and basic brush painting to check it looks right (and I can't afford an airbrush)

post-18430-0-27309600-1434048904_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-90517400-1434048921_thumb.jpg

Edit and two more

post-18430-0-90396700-1434049420_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-03437200-1434049428_thumb.jpg

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 7

Also a big point is the smoke box lamp iron, the big round sent its sat in had to be filled. post-18430-0-61244600-1434049855.jpg

The filled area is circled in green, I wish I had taken a before shot too but you can see it In other photos and most recently on Darrels beautifully weathered J39

• Like 2

I know its off topic but in reply to the person who mentioned Atlas Editions i have ordered a specific model I wanted

in there great british buses collection they do a Leyland lynx in midland red west livery and because they were operated in Redditch I rang them and asked if I could order just that one? and because I already had the £2 model at the start so phoned up to pay my £2 and while I was on I asked if they had the one I wanted and was told it wont be out for another 3 month but if I want one I can order one! so I paid for it there and then. and the lady on the phone asked if I wanted  to order any of the other upcoming models if not ill cancel your subscription its up to you? so I said no I just want the one please so she  cancelled my subscription. Low and behold the bus I wanted came just as she said a few months later and iv not heard of them since  

I would give Atlas Editions a very wide berth I'm afraid. Had problems cancelling a "subscription" I had allegedly taken out. Plus the fact you get junk-mail for the next 2-3 years!!

The footplate of the J39 and J38 are not the same. In the case of the J38 the quadrant at the front of the footplate commences at about 1ft 2inches (just under 5mm)  further back. 

I'd never noticed that, but it's clearly true on comparing photographs.

The footplate of the J39 and J38 are not the same. In the case of the J38 the quadrant at the front of the footplate commences at about 1ft 2inches (just under 5mm)  further back.

That's a compromise I can put up with for this one, certainly worth knowing for future builds that'll put this one to shame though.

Has anyone here had any experience of building the SEF J38 3500 tender? I want to build that and use the current tender as it is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would give Atlas Editions a very wide berth I'm afraid. Had problems cancelling a "subscription" I had allegedly taken out. Plus the fact you get junk-mail for the next 2-3 years!!

OT, and not disputing your experience but just for balance, I ordered their Blackpool tram "starter" model a few years back, cancelled the subscription as soon as it arrived, and have had no problems. I forget if I've had more mail from them but if so it's not much - most of the leaflets I've had fell out of magazines. Maybe I ticked something saying I didn't want to hear more.

To get the first model you do have to agree to subscribe, but they don't require a credit card number so they can't take money off you without your permission.

As with most things, some people have reported bad experiences, some have cancelled and never heard from them again, and it's impossible to know what the proportions of the two are.

....any further developments with the western? My brassmasters etch kit arrived today...excellent service...I am currently awaiting the result of your drastic surgery as to where I deploy this enhancement. I have already offered one of the etched cabs to my initial reworked western...and yes well worth the extra outlay. I suspect however your efforts really will improve this model, hence my hesitation...

Not totally quiet on the Western Front. We now have Three Degrees Of Separation.

Don't forget to reduce the width of the front windscreen ledge by at least half, and shave off all the moulded details....

post-6879-0-23360200-1434133650_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-65113800-1434134940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 5

Suspect you would have an easier project using the hoped for GBL A1/A2 body on the running gear! And you would still have the Trix body to use, with guidance from the GBL body prototype, if that first attempt didn't work out to your satisfaction.

Re the forthcoming GBL A1/A2.  I've got a couple of Hornby Railroad Tornados (bought when they were £42 in one or other of the sales that were going on...)  with the intention of backdating them to BR locos. (Shock, horror, well a bit of work on the tender top etc. should do the trick).  They don't have visible rivet detail therefore would be best for Darlington locos that had flush rivets. Maybe the GBL loco will be derived from a model with snap headed rivet detail, thus being suitable for a Doncaster built engine. Perhaps.  Did Bachmann do one of these?

At the least could be a good source of bits for other  LNER pacifics.

Bill did as you describe backdated tender ...then sold back to my local model shop for something more topical for my Midlands layout...double headed class 25s....kept my Bachmann A1 though in honour of the class member 60114 WP Allen which found itself as far south,as Worcester, in 64 before being reunited to its nor eastern roots..not before Worcester shed men playing on her up and down the yard

• Like 1

Bill did as you describe backdated tender ...then sold back to my local model shop for something more topical for my Midlands layout...double headed class 25s....kept my Bachmann A1 though in honour of the class member 60114 WP Allen which found itself as far south,as Worcester, in 64 before being reunited to its nor eastern roots..not before Worcester shed men playing on her up and down the yard

I'm not the only one then, 46256....   I'm thinking that the tender (top) is the main difference. Did wonder about using   GBL tender bodies depending on what version they do, but I think that modifying the Hornby tender will be enough. (Plus a later rimmed chimney since the Tornados I bought were in the original condition).

• Like 1

Another slightly bizarre thing about the GBL shell is that the second cab (I never quite know which is the "A" end and which is the "B") doesn't have the bulkhead that the other one has, so some sort of reinforcement may be needed.

Anyhow, we finally have the chance to see how the thing looks on the Heljan chassis, with the central section as central as we can make it. The gap-filling that needs doing is obvious.....

post-6879-0-58880800-1434233253_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-50940300-1434234281_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-70593300-1434234314_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-96214500-1434234340_thumb.jpg