Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

I think it will shrink even faster, as I can't really see Issue #41 making the party.

Yes, we've speculated before that there's nothing to clone this from in 4mm scale.

Remember though, there's a possibility "Locomotion No 1" might be a mis interpritation of Stirling 8Ft Single No 1 currently resident at 'Locomotion' Shildon, with the Kitmaster plastic kit as a basis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It would be the first time they'd copied anything by Trix (that's not to say they won't), but I would expect a 'Tornado', seeing the target market.

(Pure speculation - It wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong!)

Could almost hope that the Trix version would be too expensive for them to use as a basis to copy from, they can still command ridiculous prices in decent condition.

I agree a Hornby Torando would have more appeal to the Target Market, but we shouldn't forget Bachmann have also done Peppercorn A1 and A2s.

Decisions, decisions - and Amercom will already have made them.

Again there's been nothing 'Thompson' RTR or plastic Kit for them to copy.

No.39 is going to be highly interesting as nobody can definitely say whether it will be an A1 or an A2...

my bet an ex trix a2...if not a Hornby railroad tornado...

That has to be a 'let's do the Peppercorn pacifics, from whichever available model can be got most cheaply at the time we need to measure up for tooling'. The mag content to cover both classes as they have so much commonality.

I doubt it will be the Trix, as those that are in good enough condition tend to be expensive. Makes the Hornby A1 the most likely in my opinion, as these have been available very economically, with Bach's A2 in second place. If it's any good these will go fast, as there's a lot of potential for Thompson conversions among other things; and at £9 plus a readily found suitable s/h mechanism not an expensive project to obtain a 'big engine'.

I'm tempted by thoughts of a 4'8" wheel 2-10-2 from an A1 - it fits very neatly with the cylinders about 6mm forward - and really looks the business.

......Makes the Hornby A1 the most likely in my opinion, as these have been available very economically, with Bach's A2 in second place. If it's any good these will go fast, as there's a lot of potential for Thompson conversions among other things; ....

Hopefully will yield a good enough Diag. 117/118 boiler and firebox to replace the slightly undersized resin one in the old Crownline A2 kit

Any ideas how much a trix model of Blue Peter in original box is worth?....

Was there one? Only ever seen "A.H. Peppercorn".

For a while, Dapol were selling old Trix / British Liliput A2 bodies (and other parts from the range) as spares.

Guest spet0114

Was there one? Only ever seen "A.H. Peppercorn".

For a while, Dapol were selling old Trix / British Liliput A2 bodies (and other parts from the range) as spares.

Yes, right at the end there was a batch of Blue Peters made. I think the Trix book by Matthewman makes reference to this, but I haven't got a copy so can't confirm.

I'd guess that one in good nick would fetch a pretty penny.

Any ideas how much a trix model of Blue Peter in original box is worth? Never seen one for sale the model of AH Peppercorn I have seen go for £200

Not so much now the Bachmann A2 is freely available. The rarity of BP helps, but I think you will do well to get much over £100, unless your auction - and that is the only way to get the real value - happens to attract two or more determined Trix completists. Don't delay either, as most of such folk will have been drawing pensions for some time.

Thanks no intention of selling it, just curious I was given it as a present not long after I was born (strange thing to give a baby) my dad hid it away until I was about ten. Then he bought me a Hornby train set. So this loco was the Thing that got me interested in railways.

• Like 8

My parents hid most of my Xmas presents as well.....the best I received was an action man "deserter" that empty box kept me occupied for days, with its"open other end" at each extremity..I was as now never the brightest

Any ideas how much a trix model of Blue Peter in original box is worth? Never seen one for sale the model of AH Peppercorn I have seen go for £200

It would appear not a lot, though it depends on condition etc. (and luck). This lot went for £100.

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=453434&Section=0&all=1

Other lots went for much the same or less - you need to have an account to see prices (useful and free).

Yes there was it seems to have been a limited edition

Your one looks good. Were these loco drive or was there a flywheel motor in the tender?  Seem to remember in the dim distant past that someone I knew who had one said they were very good runners.  I've got the Peppercorn body that was obtained as a spare many years ago, plus a Hornby chassis block and some other bits for one of those "one of these days" projects.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

It would appear not a lot, though it depends on condition etc. (and luck). This lot went for £100.

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=453434&Section=0&all=1

Other lots went for much the same or less - you need to have an account to see prices (useful and free).

That 'Blue Peter' is fairly clearly a re-numbered Peppercorn, rather than a genuine Trix BP.  Note the nameplates aren't blue and the difference in size of the numerals - 5 is a lot bigger than 3 and 2.  As it's non-original, I'm not surprised it didn't fetch much money - the collectors won't touch it and the runners would prefer the Bachmann! :)

Your one looks good. Were these loco drive or was there a flywheel motor in the tender?  Seem to remember in the dim distant past that someone I knew who had one said they were very good runners.  I've got the Peppercorn body that was obtained as a spare many years ago, plus a Hornby chassis block and some other bits for one of those "one of these days" projects.

The running gear appears to be derived from Trix's HO model of the DB Br.01 pacific - the wheels and motion are the clues.

... I've got the Peppercorn body that was obtained as a spare many years ago, plus a Hornby chassis block and some other bits for one of those "one of these days" projects.

Suspect you would have an easier project using the hoped for GBL A1/A2 body on the running gear! And you would still have the Trix body to use, with guidance from the GBL body prototype, if that first attempt didn't work out to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Has anyone seen the much anticipated J39 yet?

Roll on lunchtime and a visit to nearby superstore......

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the much anticipated J39 yet?

Asda had two this morning (now only one - I got the one with the chimney and safety valve fitted straight, but she has a slightly crooked cab). The model looks OK to me (I'm no LNER expert!) apart from the wonky orange lining. It should be red, but these were plain black I believe. (Some black paint will soon sort that out.) There is also a BR numberplate and a shed plate on the smoke box door, despite the LNER livery. Mine will probably end up in BR black anyway. The frames stop immediately in front of the guard irons leaving an unsightly gap to fill. There's a less obvious gap behind the cab steps, plus the standard overlarge space between engine and tender.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some Pictures here (I hope)

They've replicated the Lubrication Drive quite well. Pity the coupling rod on mine is broken, but shouldn't be difficult to repair or replace.

Where'd they get that colour for the lining?

post-11377-0-62591500-1433943769_thumb.jpgpost-11377-0-15651300-1433943750_thumb.jpgpost-11377-0-43571200-1433943704_thumb.jpg

post-11377-0-85806500-1433943731_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Reading the magazine (my personal opinion is) you get the impression that they have only done the J39 because there was no J27 model to copy. I think that was the least informative magazine yet (I haven't bought them all so others I haven't bought may be worse) but still very enjoyable.

Overall the model is very smart, the lettering is reasonable but lining is awful as has already been mentioned. There is a bizarre moulded line along the water scoop pick up some on the rear of the tender exactly where the divider should be on the other GS tender they have modelled, common badly edited CAD files/tooling? Mistake? Really present on the real tenders?

I really like the removable section on the bottom of the boiler, saves cutting a big lump out. The cab is neatly moulded but there is no side window glazing (hardly unexpected) the smoke box lamp iron is moulded in a round recess, is this because the Bachman version copied had a metal one pressed into an oversize hole?

The wheels are solid apart from the lower approximately 3mm and the lubricator rod appears to be a separate moulding from the rest of the rods. I'm very impressed that the smoke box saddle and cylinders all come away with the smoke box rather that with the running plate as that will make the J38 conversion easier. Overall I'm impressed, probably not the best model they've made but it's very good.

Edit to change autocorrection of a misspelt moulded to "Mildred"

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 1