Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I'm shifting the cab roofs forward including the patches directly above. Question is where to saw through.....

i was pondering the same ...adding a bit just above the door...another as per my option in the cowl...the problem with the first you will impact on the body moulding...in any event the horn cowl will be removed and a longer fatter version added in due course

.....the problem with the first you will impact on the body moulding......

Yes, but anything I'd be doing will impact on the overall moulding anyway. The Heljan Western chassis is on the way, so I also need to see how much the shell needs to be extended - remember it's about 1.2mm short overall (4 scale inches) - to fit over it.

Yes, but anything I'd be doing will impact on the overall moulding anyway. The Heljan Western chassis is on the way, so I also need to see how much the shell needs to be extended - remember it's about 1.2mm short overall (4 scale inches) - to fit over it.

easy just chop a bit out of the chassis.......................only joking....

The cylinders appear to be the wrong shape - flat. A bit shaved off from a close encounter with the platform of some inferior railway?

Do I need another 'County'?

It's probably worthwhile just for the tender?

I know it's strictly the wrong width for other classes, but never mind........

Edited by Il Grifone

Re the J39 to J38 conversion, I think I'll also have a go ar that, but other than the splashers and smaller wheels, I'm struggling to see what else should be done. I know most had the smaller GS tender and there was a different boiler before many got the J39 version. Anyone who can point me to a more detailed description of this conversion will be appreciated.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 3

At least with the County there's no faffing with valvegear!  As for the livery, just carefully scrub the GW off the tender and apply a BR totem (Unicycle or Dartboard to taste).

I wonder if I could cram the Triang B12 chassis in there.......   :jester:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Looks good though all GWR locos look the same.

Jacket coat runs away

No! No, come back!

A very valid point.

So are you arguing that the GWR invented branding? Bai Jove! I think you're right - so yet another 'first' for Isambard. :jester:

...compared to those illiterate Geordie oicks.

dhig

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

.....Do I need another 'County'?

It's probably worthwhile just for the tender?

I know it's strictly the wrong width for other classes, but never mind........

You could remove a 2mm slice from the centre line of the tender, and then end up with one that will suit Castles and Halls/Mod.Halls.

County will re boiler and re firebox ....don't know if that is an actual word...anyway have a Margate 8f body awaiting tire fate as a donor..meanwhile just removing moulded handrails from western..recessing them...what a pain...got a replacement Lima chassis runs well but noisy...nothing new there then..have got the thread on making them quiet in my read list on this site...almost decided to invest in brassmasters etchings again....

• RMweb Premium

In a related vein the proverbial purveyor of overpriced monthly tat that is the infamous Atlas Editions are doing a Eddie Stobart vehicles series which includes in the line up a OO scale Class 66.  Looking at the website http://www.eddiestobartmodels.com under Atlas Editions under expected releases and in particular the image thereof it would appear that a GBL style copy of the Bachmann Class 66 may be in the offing, the picture clearly shows a real Bachmann model that presumably is going to be GBL'd?

Edited by John M Upton

You could remove a 2mm slice from the centre line of the tender, and then end up with one that will suit Castles and Halls/Mod.Halls.

I have several to do already......

It's so far down the 'to do' list that it will probably never get done.... (so many trains, so little time....... :senile: )

Edited by Il Grifone

In a related vein the proverbial purveyor of overpriced monthly tat that is the infamous Atlas Editions are doing a Eddie Stobart vehicles series which includes in the line up a OO scale Class 66.  Looking at the website http://www.eddiestobartmodels.com under Atlas Editions under expected releases and in particular the image thereof it would appear that a GBL style copy of the Bachmann Class 66 may be in the offing, the picture clearly shows a real Bachmann model that presumably is going to be GBL'd?

I like the description as "Early pre-production sample". The problem with Atlas Editions is that they are subscription only, meaning either a unspecified number of unwanted expensive models or eBay and generous overpricing. They don't seem to have a way of ordering individual models. The quality of those I have seems quite reasonable.

As regards legal action, they seem to get away with copying other manufacturer's products. They even have a series of replica Dinky Toys, which, while long out of production, presumably still have a copyright owned by somebody?

Edited by Il Grifone

At least with the County there's no faffing with valvegear!  As for the livery, just carefully scrub the GW off the tender and apply a BR totem (Unicycle or Dartboard to taste).

I wonder if I could cram the Triang B12 chassis in there.......   :jester:

The wheelbase is wrong, but it might fit. Tri-ang did fit it to their Hall, but that is not noted for its accuracy.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its being made for Atlas by Bachmann so I presume it will be a working model.

The wheelbase is wrong, but it might fit.Tri-ang did fit it to their Hall, but that is not noted for its accuracy.

Exactly what I was thinking. A sort of "Homage to Margate", along with a nifty rename to "County of Kent".....

• Like 4

I know its off topic but in reply to the person who mentioned Atlas Editions i have ordered a specific model I wanted

in there great british buses collection they do a Leyland lynx in midland red west livery and because they were operated in Redditch I rang them and asked if I could order just that one? and because I already had the £2 model at the start so phoned up to pay my £2 and while I was on I asked if they had the one I wanted and was told it wont be out for another 3 month but if I want one I can order one! so I paid for it there and then. and the lady on the phone asked if I wanted  to order any of the other upcoming models if not ill cancel your subscription its up to you? so I said no I just want the one please so she  cancelled my subscription. Low and behold the bus I wanted came just as she said a few months later and iv not heard of them since  

• Like 1

Others have complained about their service, but I have no complaints. I did have a little trouble when the next instalment arrived after I'd cancelled the subscription, but it was all quickly resolved with a Freepost address for its return. I understand they are are all on approval and can be returned, but you normally have to pay postage (which is fair enough in my opinion).

• Like 1