Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Someone asked earlier (Smiffy?) what livery the Southern Railway allocated 8Fs carried.

Standard 1940s LMS plain black I'm afraid. There's a photo of 8661 almost new in Stanier Locomotives by Brian Haresnape.

GWR allocated ones were also this livery but had the number painted on the bufferbeam but no smokebox number plate.

The LNER ones had both smokebox and bufferbeam numbers, Class O6 painted on the bufferbeam, LNER (some NE?) on the tender and were renumbered in the 31XX and 35XX number series.

Anyone looking for something a bit different? Then there's a cracking photo in the above book of M8602 in 1948 with a WD 8 wheeled tender with British Railways on the tender side.

Jason.

I've seen a similar picture  somewhere of an 8f with WD tender in prussian blue methinks at Longmoor, but am unable to find it :scratchhead:

Bob

J39 should be one of the more accurate GBL models copied from the Bachmann one. Think the wills kit fitted a triang/Hornby 0-6-0 chassis so with any luck the GBL one should as well. A useful engine.

Thanks for the interesting info on Guy Norris, as well.

• Like 2

J39 should be one of the more accurate GBL models copied from the Bachmann one. Think the wills kit fitted a triang/Hornby 0-6-0 chassis so with any luck the GBL one should as well. A useful engine.

Thanks for the interesting info on Guy Norris, as well.

It will probably fit, but there is a problem with the wheelbase. The Tri-ang chassis is a scale 7' 9" + 8'3", whereas the the J39 is 8' + 9' and thus the splashers will be in the wrong place. Conversion to a J38 would possibly be the answer and the wheels would also be nearer to the correct diameter.

I was going to do mine as one of the J39s allocated to the LT&S (the site of Tilbury shed is just the other side of the railway from me), but if* I decide to motorise (it depends on the Tri-ang chassis fitting!) I may go with the J38 solution.

* She will be quite a way down the 'to do' list (It's very long...... :O ).

There's a Wills kit J39 here (from one of our 'friends' - I'm not suggesting anyone would want to buy it at this ridiculous price of course!).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILLS-FINESCALE-KIT-BUILT-MODEL-No-F102-LNER-J39-0-6-0-LOCO-TENDER-VN-MIB-/400764851052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4f72536c

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

J39 should be one of the more accurate GBL models copied from the Bachmann one. Think the wills kit fitted a triang/Hornby 0-6-0 chassis so with any luck the GBL one should as well...

The shorter wheelbase and under diameter wheels issue with the T-H mechanism has already been mentioned.

You cannot take the Wills kit as a guide, well, certainly not the version I had in the early 1970s. Wills had adapted the J39 body dimensions to the shorter and not identically proportioned T-H wheelbase in order that the wheels aligned with the splashers; with 'adjustment' to the rest of the body work so that key features lined up with the altered splasher positions. In short - ah, that says it all.

The Bachmann J39 is a scale model, and the alternative available RTR chassis that best fits is found under the J11; all of a scale inch overlength in overall wheelbase at 17'1", and about a scale 1" mismatch at worst between axle and splasher arc centres by 'sharing out' the positional errors most equitably, the nominal 5'2" wheels dead right for diameter. (In their usual style Bachmann have made the wheels 20mm diameter, so effectively in maximum tyre wear condition, as this then results in wheelsets which are scale diameter over the flanges, permitting the splashers to be as near scale as possible.)

Having got my J39 split chassis into well used condition, I took the opportunity to replace this mechanism with a new one from a J11. The split chassis mechanism for the J39 is very slimline, and I had to shave the interior of the firebox area quite significantly until it was 'waffer thin' to permit entry of the J11 mechanism.

It will probably fit, but there is a problem with the wheelbase. The Tri-ang chassis is a scale 7' 9" + 8'3", whereas the the J39 is 8' + 9' and thus the splashers will be in the wrong place. Conversion to a J38 would possibly be the answer and the wheels would also be nearer to the correct diameter.

I was going to do mine as one of the J39s allocated to the LT&S (the site of Tilbury shed is just the other side of the railway from me), but if* I decide to motorise (it depends on the Tri-ang chassis fitting!) I may go with the J38 solution.

There's a Wills kit J39 here (from one of our 'friends' - I'm not suggesting anyone would want to buy it at this ridiculous price of course!).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILLS-FINESCALE-KIT-BUILT-MODEL-No-F102-LNER-J39-0-6-0-LOCO-TENDER-VN-MIB-/400764851052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4f72536c

Blimey, that's expensive! The triangle chassis I was going to use I bought with a built wills 94xx body - going to put a decent chassis under that one - and it was less than a tenth of the eBay j39 you quoted!

Thanks to all for the wheelbase dimensions for the j39, away from home at present so can't get at the drawings of the loco.

J38 could be way out but as it will be an accurate model perhaps worth a scale chassis.

• Like 1

Blimey, that's expensive! The triangle chassis I was going to use I bought with a built wills 94xx body - going to put a decent chassis under that one - and it was less than a tenth of the eBay j39 you quoted!

omis

That seems more like the right price! I paid about a tenner (£9.50 IIRC) for my Wills 94xx years ago (quickly reduced to bits, but still on the 'to do' list!  :O )

• Like 1

J38 could be way out but as it will be an accurate model perhaps worth a scale chassis.

Because the J38 has no splashers to 'give the game away', the mechanism from the Bachmann Jinty 3F tank can go under and looks very well indeed. Derby's 8'+8'6", instead of 8'+9', right size wheel diameter, new balance weights required. Did one of these for a friend, and it looks very well indeed; most will never perceive that there is 6" missing from the loco wheelbase, and that the wheelbase proportions are slightly wrong if the end wheelsets axle centres are positioned 3" inside the actual axle centres. There are other errors too for a J38 as built, but in later years the two classes boilers got all stirred up...

• Like 2

Its probably about the right price IMHO  .If you gave me that pile of bits I would charge at least 100 quid to put it together and  paint it to a basic standard .Far more if you wanted a scale chassis  and good motor ,gearbox .That would add 90 odd  quid just in parts .

I used to double the kit price  plus all the bits  as rough price guide to making a kit up.I made kits from DJH horrors to Ferro Suisse wonders .

Edited by alfsboy

Isn't it the turn of the clone Western this week?

it is indeed but it has seemed to me that the steam outline models generate more comments.

If I am honest the models that I have thought will have the blog buzzing have come and gone with little mention....then others....this is probably why I don't invest in stocks and shares...?Or more probably have too little spondoolies left after buying the latest Bachmann/ Hornby/ beljan/ Dapol/ rapidly/ DJ models/ Oxford/....goodness me and that's not counting the special commissions....no I'm not starting a thread on the proliferation of manufacturers just bemoaning my penniless state....

I have found out quite by chance that "Buy & sell" is now operational this weekend. Have tracked back to my last comment on it on page 188 I can see no official announcement of this since on this thread. Given the fact that we have "64" followers - which I suspect is the largest for any topic on here - a short announcement by the powers-that-be that it is now fully functional would have been appreciated. Or am I just old-fashioned in a business sense?

Edited by emperordalek

I have been following this thread for sometime and one thing that bugs me is; how are they getting away with copying other company's models like this?, or are these model made just for them from new?.

Darren

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1

I have been following this thread for sometime and one thing that bugs me is; how are they getting away with copying other company's models like this?, or are these model made just for them from new?.

They are clearly cloned from existing models, but tweaked sufficiently to differentiate them from their source. And obviously the solid chassis helps.

Darren

For about the millionth time.  The only physical objects that are subject to copyright are unique works of art (i.e sculptures).   

Isn't it the turn of the clone Western this week?

This is another subject with similarities to the B12 in terms of quantity of past product readily available. Four manufacturers offering versions at various times over the past thirty (or more?) years with the more recent models supplanting the earlier efforts. I would have thought that most folks with modelling intentions toward this class would very likely have already picked up s/h oldies as the opportunity offered, with the likely benefits of choice of liveries, some or all mechanism components present.