Great British Locomotives

EddieB

It might be easier to find a Hornby Dublo chassis less motor, (though check it's not 3 rail). There are ringfield*  and 1/2" motor versions, but either would do with a tender drive. (The 1/2" motor doesn't fill the cab so much if you prefer locomotive drive).

* The Wrenn and Dublo ringfieldchassis are more or less identical. The pony wheels are metal tyred on later Wrenn versions but need changing anyway as they are undersized - about 10mm in diameter - to go around sharp curves.

• RMweb Premium

The problem with the J72 seems to be that the wheels go out of quarter - is it relatively easy to replace the wheels with Romfords?

Apologies for veering slightly off topic, but mention of Romford wheels reminded me etched replacement chassis are available for the J72 from Mainly Trains http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/exp_mt248.htm or Perseverance Kits http://www.perseverancekits.co.uk/ .

I realise these are a bit more involved than the Peter's Spares axles & gears option, but it might be useful to those of us whose original split frame chassis is beyond redemption, or as in my case, missing.

HTH

Moxy

• Like 1

Re the j72 I first saw one in Guy Norris in Covent garden when they first came out. Can't remember what their main business was, trains were a sideline. Anyway, just had to buy the j72. This was the original with the pancake motor. Because the chassis design meant that all wheels were in contact with the track and the split frame should have given good pickup - for a while as we know. Later I got a replacement chassis with the "flywheel" motor, actually with a chunky worm gear. That still sort of works when I try it out after some TLC. I've got a mainline std 4 and a collett goods that still run very well with the original pancake motor chassis although not used much so if you were lucky..

• Like 1

Records (the flat black things with a hole in the middle).

I have quite a few of these too!

I find that the music recorded on them tends to be better than on CD! (or is it just me?). (The music - I'll avoid the analogue/digital debate.......)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

...I remember reading an article where these plastic centred axles were repaired, a combination of glue and brass rings holding them together if I recall...

I swear by Araldite (long curing time type, applied once the parts are fully degreased) and it held for 'long enough': that is until all the other ways in which this short life design could wear out had happened. Usually wearing through the plating on the wheel tyres, stub axles and axle recesses in the block. Once that's gone it's out of life.

I have used plastic tube to replace insulating muffs that were irrepairably split; and sometimes gears could be transferred from a dead mechanism due to plating wear out, to another stopped by the gears splitting. Gluing in the slightly trimmed bowed out  wheelface inserts was another 'O be joyful' task. I was very glad to give all this malarkey up when Bachmann decided on steel axled wheelsets for the 'Blue Riband' range.

• Like 3

I've looked at Peter's Spares and found the axles, but they don't seem to be specific for the J72. Are the ones for 0-6-0 generic, does anyone know? Because at £5.99 a set that looks like a bargain.

• RMweb Gold

And the gears crack up, and the half axle castings lose their locating pins and the plating eventually wears through on the stub axles and chassis locations. The bodies still look as well as ever... There is no RTR chassis that's a good substitute, with steel axles and wiper pick up. The current Bachmann is split chassis too, a little more long lived, but you can only get that with the body on it unless you strike very lucky.

High Level Kits do a replacement chassis, though the price will put some off.

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

When is the Western due? I might have a dabble this month.

I've looked at Peter's Spares and found the axles, but they don't seem to be specific for the J72. Are the ones for 0-6-0 generic, does anyone know? Because at £5.99 a set that looks like a bargain.

They are listed as PS27. There is no hurry as he claims to have over 5000 in stock!

There are also brushes and springs. Useful, especially the springs,which have a nasty tendency to fly away never to be seen again.........

The Western is due Wednesday next week

Edited by Il Grifone

Guy Norris had a shop in Gants Hill,Essex  .I believe intially it was hardware  .I worked for JJ Double motorcycles and sold him a BSA 250 , from memory an SS80 .He was a leaner at the time .This would have been 64 ish before records and trains .I do remember  that later when he went into model railways Peco wouldnt sell him track as he wasnt classed as a proper model railway  shop .Was he the first box shifter?

• Like 1

Someone asked earlier (Smiffy?) what livery the Southern Railway allocated 8Fs carried.

Standard 1940s LMS plain black I'm afraid. There's a photo of 8661 almost new in Stanier Locomotives by Brian Haresnape.

GWR allocated ones were also this livery but had the number painted on the bufferbeam but no smokebox number plate.

The LNER ones had both smokebox and bufferbeam numbers, Class O6 painted on the bufferbeam, LNER (some NE?) on the tender and were renumbered in the 31XX and 35XX number series.

Anyone looking for something a bit different? Then there's a cracking photo in the above book of M8602 in 1948 with a WD 8 wheeled tender with British Railways on the tender side.

Jason.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have joined MRRZ so that I could see some of the information mentioned here. I received a message (that went straight to my spam file) saying that my user name was recognized as someone who has been rejected before (I have never previously applied), my IT address was new (I have had my current IT address for at least 5 years.) and my location was in Skipton, Yorkshire (which is about 200 miles away). So I dashed off an e-mail querying this and I got an apologetic reply saying this was due to problems with their new software and the automatic message was intended for someone else. So as some others have had problems signing up or signing in to MRRZ I would suggest checking your spam folder and/or getting in contact with them.