Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

Funny, the collection started so well and gone down hill quite a bit with some of the recent models.....

And seems to correspond with a certain person on here throwing his toys out of the pram......

Andy G

It's probably an 'unstoppable machine' type process; there was going to be a free binder issued roughly in the middle of the 'second half' of the orignally planned series of 52 issues, and no one got to the 'off switch' in time.

Regarding the Britannia, another accurately reproduced inaccuracy of the Triang model is the bogie position, which is too far forward. Altering this was one of the quickest and simplest ways to improve the Triang model's appearance and will work just as well on this replica.

Intersting.

The Tri-ang chassis has two holes in line astern for the front bogie screw. One for the "Princess", and the other for the "Britannia". (I',m not sure which one is used with the BoB!) All 3 locos (and others) used the same chassis block!

It's quite straightforward. Three screws secure the chassis to the body. One is hidden under the plastic plate that holds the bogie wheels in place, which needs to be unclipped. The locomotive is now in four pieces - body, chassis, front bogie and rear pony truck. At the front of the chassis, there is a boss which holds the bogie in line - this needs to be filed flush. Then drill a new hole for the bogie in the correct place and the job is done. Painting over all that silver and possibly resiting the steps from the bogie to the body is next and then the model can be reassembled. (Further detailing is optional.)

There is a boss on the bogie which can be drilled out, but it's not quite in the right position. The front body pillar for the fixing screw also needs filing flush with the chassis block.

Tri-ang's compromises in the wheelbase to use the (underscale and inaccurate) 'Princess' chassis (it was only intended for a cheap toy originally) mean that the result can never be 100% correct.

By sheer coincidence I've just acquired a Tri-ang Princess chassis block - one of the proper ones with frames that screw to the mazak weights.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

IMHO, cloning the Dublo model would have produced a better model than the one they did... (provided they didn't copy the cab full of motor of the ringfield versions!).

I was rather expecting a 'Duchess', but we got the streamlined version and a 'Princess' instead*. It's just as well as I have quite a few** Dublo 'Coronations' already (Still need a 'City of Liverpool', and a C.P.R. 1215, but seeing what they cost, I'll have to do without (or fake them :secret: ). I must finishing fitting the Dublo chassis in one of my streamline GBL '6220's (to become 'City of Bristol').

*I'm not complaining :)  though 'Coronation' should be blue of course. (Renaming to do - one will be 'City of Bristol' and the other??? - I could just add a headlight, I suppose, but that would need a train to match......) (The Emoticon is supposed to be a Smiley :) , like in the toolbar and list, but comes out as moronic!)

** Let's say I'm running out of 'curved frame' names....

A streamline Duchess on a Dublo chassis sounds a neat idea. Some GBL releases lend themselves to a sort of retro modelling. Increasingly temped to unpack the 3 rail I've still got from way way back and have a go running it.

ps No numbers on this post, still can't work them out, I'll have to ask if not revealed by the end of GBL releases.... :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

A streamline Duchess on a Dublo chassis sounds a neat idea. Some GBL releases lend themselves to a sort of retro modelling. Increasingly temped to unpack the 3 rail I've still got from way way back and have a go running it.

ps No numbers on this post, still can't work them out, I'll have to ask if not revealed by the end of GBL releases.... :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

If Wrenn can stick a K's body on a City chassis, I can do the same with a GBL one. There was even a pre-production prototype pre-war to add legitimacy.

The numbers appear to be some sort of Firefox/Vista/RMweb glitch. When I reloaded Firefox on my laptop they went away! However they still appear, when I use my PC. Since reloading Firefox is an immense pain, so I'll just ignore them. As to their cause - :scratchhead:

Warning - unpacking Dublo three rail is addictive - another wagon - "I haven't got that one!" - a new locomotive - more track - converting something to 3 rail ........ (the rare items are expensive, but common and less than perfect pieces can be had cheaply.)

Edited by Il Grifone

The next model is up on the website - it's the Western. It's maroon but even at high magnification I can't get the name and number.

It's as anticipated, so the next should be the J39.

>SNIPPED

Warning - unpacking Dublo three rail is addictive - another wagon - "I haven't got that one!" - a new locomotive - more track - converting something to 3 rail ........ (the rare items are expensive, but common and less than perfect pieces can be had cheaply.)

I can certainly agree on the 3-rail addition problem...

I bought an incomplete 3-rail 4mt 2-6-4 tank loco for sapres to fix a 2-rail one.

The problems started when I found the parts to rebuild both the 2-rail AND the 3-rail models....

After getting the 3-rail one running on a temp. modified Hornby Rolling Road, I though I'd get some 3-rail track for it.....

Now I have a quite large collection of 3-rail, including sets in boxes, a turntable, more locos, coaches, wagons, stations, signal boxes, footbridges....... :O

• Like 2

The Western appears to be based on the Lima version which opens up more possibilities for reworking over the Hornby version. I'll be getting a few of these.

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Gold

The Western appears to be based on the Lima version which opens up more possibilities for reworking over the Hornby version. I'll be getting a few of these.

Cheers

Shane

Looks like the Lima version, there's a deep windowsill around the windscreen, and the gap under the buffer beam between the front steps, for the coupling to stick through.

I could do with a cheap maroon Western to go with my green one....

• Like 1

The big clue is the moulded lamp on the front end. The Lima one had this as well. Lots of potential livery options with this one.

The moulded lamp is on both ends....so which one is the official front? "A" or "No.1" End I suppose... ;)

The lamp is meant to be a Tail Lamp, the Westerns would carry one when running light engine.

LIMA probably had a photo....and the rest is history!

The lamp takes a bit of removing so I am told! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

Mine (maroon Lima) is D1016 'Western Gladiator'. Converted to 3 rail (reversibly), she goes like the proverbial wind and will pull almost any load (even Dublo coaches.....)

I don't need another 'Western!

ad infinitum (or ad nauseam if you prefer)

I can certainly agree on the 3-rail addition problem...

I bought an incomplete 3-rail 4mt 2-6-4 tank loco for sapres to fix a 2-rail one.

The problems started when I found the parts to rebuild both the 2-rail AND the 3-rail models....

After getting the 3-rail one running on a temp. modified Hornby Rolling Road, I though I'd get some 3-rail track for it.....

Now I have a quite large collection of 3-rail, including sets in boxes, a turntable, more locos, coaches, wagons, stations, signal boxes, footbridges....... :O

Not so much a problem as an addiction (SWMBO would say these are the same thing!)

(Waffle warning!)

Buying another one "For spares" is fatal, I find - I end up buying the bits to complete her... The latest (GBL aside!) is yet another 'Duchess', bought as a tatty thickly overpainted green Atholl* body on a 'Montrose chassis (block wheels and LH cylinder and valvegear) for the valvegear. I can't make up my mind whether to do her in black post war LMS livery (Dublo missed this one) or as a fake replica C.P.R. 1215 (the bits are available on eBay, though for more than I paid for the sad remains).

* I did this to my original 'Atholl' many moons ago in my youth (the less said the better about the result!). One day dad presented me with the body stripped back to the original paint (though the transfers had gone). I wish I knew what he used. I tried caustic soda on this one, which left her in bare metal - hence the repaint in black. Since I have two other 'Atholl's, this one will end up as 46251 'City of Nottingham' in BR maroon.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mine (maroon Lima) is D1016 'Western Gladiator'. Converted to 3 rail (reversibly), she goes like the proverbial wind and will pull almost any load (even Dublo coaches.....)

You don't need another 'Western', but you WANT at least one!

You could have four more - Desert Sand, Ochre, Green, Rail Blue.....  :jester:

• Like 1

I did have the LIMA D1016 Western Galdiator, but after planning to keep it (including fitting a crew member in each end) I passed it on....they are rather nice locos though! :)

• RMweb Gold

Or how about the black and silver livery used on 18000?

Now that would be striking!

Funny to think that the Western would gravitate to unconventional machines to replace "Kings"...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Or how about the black and silver livery used on 18000?

Now that would be striking!

You reminded me someone has already done photoshopped versions of a Class 52 in BTC Black, here http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?52075bk1.jpg, which does look rather nice.

In response to earlier comments about NSE, http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?52075nse1.jpg Not for the faint hearted!

regards

Moxy

Edited by Moxy
  • Like 2

The big clue is the moulded lamp on the front end. The Lima one had this as well. Lots of potential livery options with this one.

Ideal solution would be Brassmasters improvement kit, and then try to stuff the Dapol chassis and bogies into it....

• Like 2