Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Not if Trix were concerned - halfway between OO and HO, gives 'OHO', or more colloquially 'Uh-oh'! :)

It was also Rivarossi's scale (except for their American range and odd models of Pocher or Trix express origin). I did see a name given to this scale once but I can neither remember the name or where I saw it! (It is approximately 1:80, but in both cases their ruler is rather elastic!). It would appear that the 'Western' is not based on the Trix version luckily.

Scanning the alleged GBL list, there would have been some useful/attractive/must have models. Pity! :(

It seems our 'wish lists' may have caused some irritation, though I don't see why, as they are just that - wish lists - and can be freely ignored. Quite a lot of the surmises appear on the 'release' list however.

EDIT (This and others) to remove useless spurious numbers.
Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Thanks John this series has provided a number of projects ...variants that I would not have attempted without this cheap source of bodies..tenders. I have also bought examples that would not have been on my must have..but rather nice to have list..the southern trio t9...n class and hopefully the nelson....the latter one of my favourite southern locos...put off buying the Bachmann example because of its split chassis...had too many mainline Lms 460s succumb to the dreaded shredding of the split axles. I've read it was partly as a result of the lubricants acting on the plastic...anyway have steered clear of these types...

My modelling list of loco types that would have gone through my chosen prototypical location....steam and deisel post 1950..pre tops...well there is only big Bertha and the u1...which I have yet to model....both on their way to and from the lackey incline...Bertha may yet be added....the gresley monster...doubtful....but never say never..

• Like 1

?... there is only big Bertha and the u1...which I have yet to model....both on their way to and from the Lickey incline...Bertha may yet be added....the gresley monster...doubtful....but never say never..

If it's any help, some bloke in Hemel Hempstead is trying to flog a DJH Big Bertha kit for 200 quid on eBay....

• Like 1

Hi all.

I know we have been told that the series will end at No 41, But I would not hold your breath on that count. I am a long term collector of part works. Hell I am a long term collector of a lot of things. I have collected several Amercom part works and they have all gone past their initial number. As an example Combat Tanks collection should have run for 60 issues. It actually ran for 120 issues. Same goes for tor the Fighter Aircraft collection, Should have run for 48 issues and actually ran for 61 issues. I know we have been told that it will end at 41 but we shall see and I have not given up hope yet.

On a separate note. I must say my wife is wonderful. She has just bought me the Bachmann K3 and J39 for my birthday. What man could ask for more.

• Like 5

It all depends on sales if enough people are purchasing the series it will continue if sales have dropped off then it will finish. My understanding is sales have dropped off, and the manufacturing slots are required for a new part work.

I have been to take a look at the 'model rail and rageoad zone', MRRZ, no need to register at all, everything's accessible to view.

Now consider what happened here on this thread. The Weathering Man made many postings on the basis of inside knowledge, then a character 'Kingpin' appeared with 'inside' information and this appeared to upset the original source of insider info, and he withdrew deleting all his postings from this thread. Now here's something odd: since that time no more Kingpin either as far as I can see.

Take a look at MRRZ, and form your own conclusions about the identity of at least three ostensibly differently named members who post a lot on the GBL subject...

I'm still about! But I've been in Thailand these past two months.

As I said at the time, I have no inside knowledge, or 'contact', I merely phoned the publisher like any one else could do, and they freely provided the information, which has so far been 100% spot on.

post-25412-0-31937000-1431931863_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

If it's any help, some bloke in Hemel Hempstead is trying to flog a DJH Big Bertha kit for 200 quid on eBay....

Sadly still recovering financially from my eldest sons nuptials a couple of months ago....one day though...one day

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm still about! But I've been in Thailand these past two months.

As I said at the time, I have no inside knowledge, or 'contact', I merely phoned the publisher like any one else could do, and they freely provided the information, which has so far been 100% spot on.

attachicon.gifTrang Station.JPG

Glad to see you are still with us, although no one still posting on here could have blamed you for wondering what you'd got into with what was a perfectly valid series of posts, none of which had any ill intent. You simply shared information volunteered by employees of the publisher, which as you say, has been spot on to date.

Thank You,

Regards,

John

edit syntax + spelling (Will someone sort this mis firing keyboard out ? Grrr)

Edited by Brit70053

Lots of good things on the list of proposed models the derby lightweight DMU could have been cut and shut into test coach iris.

Some not so good the copy of the triang class 81 a Bachmann 85 would have been a lot more usefull especially when I have resin bodies for class 81, 82, 83 and 84.

Still it's a what could have been. Maybe we will get lucky and the series will continue. But I won't hold my breath.

... I must say my wife is wonderful. She has just bought me the Bachmann K3 and J39 for my birthday. What man could ask for more.

Since you clearly seem to enjoy smaller black LNER group design goods locos, the J11, J15 and K1 come to mind... (That's three RTR 0-6-0s now available that saw service on the LNER. Three! Would you ever have believed that might happen?) The J39 from GBL will make very good conversion potential fodder for a J38: this looks decent with a Derby 8'+8'6" wheelbase 4'7" wheel mechanism, and these are easier to find at sensible prices than most RTR mechanisms. Because the J38 has no splashers, the slightly short wheelbase really doesn't show up.

I wish it was the J72...

There's plenty of clapped old Mainline examples about which can usually be got for sensible prices. It helps if you tell the owner that since it doesn't run it's a wagon, and so the normal price for an old Mainline wagon in a tatty box applies. Well, it works with some folks...

Mainline must have sold an almighty pile of them. I still remember at my then local MRC three of the 'old codgers' muttering darkly about the first of these I ever saw, with past eighty mineral wagons in tow. It was something about 'that I should have lived to see a RTR model outperform what I can scratchbuild' I think. Little did they then know that this RTR model's advantage was strictly what we now know to be 'temporary'.

• Like 2

I'm waiting with baited breath for the North British/Parsons/Ministry of Fuel & Power 1A1A-1A1A coal-fired gas turbine of the 1950s.

Would've been some beast.

Shouldn't that be 1A1A-A1A1? ;)

Most locos (Co-Bo Excepted) seem to have mirror image bogies?

I suppose this would use pulverised coal, fed on the fluid base firing principe? (Coal dust in a hot air blast, almost like a rather "solid" gas! As used in coal fired power stations.)

That is one of my "gripes" about Gas Fired Power Stations...they use the same gas as you could use to cook your dinner, whereas the coal used was not the best quality, and was pulverised in a ball mill to make it even dustier...not even Nutty Slack!

Edited by Sarahagain

The problem with the J72 seems to be that the wheels go out of quarter - is it relatively easy to replace the wheels with Romfords?

Er..no. Split-frame system means you need to cobble together an insulated axle somehow. Also, I think the channels on the chassis blocks which passed for axleboxes were bigger in diameter than the Romford 1/8" axle.

When I was a member of the EM Gauge Society (I only joined it to have another source of 18.83-specific bits, especially cheap Ultrascales which the Society Stores used to stock) I remember they offered specially-produced custom axles or stub axles to allow you to rewheel Mainline engines, but you could not use Romfords with them, only scale wheels such as Alan Gibson.

Edited by Horsetan

The problem with the J72 seems to be that the wheels go out of quarter - is it relatively easy to replace the wheels with Romfords?

Yes, the wheels go out of quarter, due to them moving in the split axle plastic centres.

In theory, superglue can help here...but the parts need to be cleaned of oil first.

My repair has not really done enough miles to be certain of the long term "fix" to my B.R. example...

It's probably the oil that caused them to split in the first place, not that plastic really likes being force fitted. Superglue does work, but I wouldn't like to say for how long as the composition of the plastic has almost certainly been compromised. What is really needed is a replacement part....  (hen's teeth are common in comparison), but one could possibly be manufactured. A lathe may be necessary, but something could possibly be constructed from rod and tube.

One of my Mainline panniers has sound axles (until now), but one of the frames has broken up due to the dreaded 'mazak pest'.

Similarly my Mainline 'Warship' has split her drive gears. (Plastic is not a suitable material for gears in my experience.) and runs with replacement nylon ones. Mine were bought from 'Greenweld' in Southampton many years ago, but are still available (or something similar) on eBay I believe.

• Like 1

The problem with the J72 seems to be that the wheels go out of quarter...

And the gears crack up, and the half axle castings lose their locating pins and the plating eventually wears through on the stub axles and chassis locations. The bodies still look as well as ever... There is no RTR chassis that's a good substitute, with steel axles and wiper pick up. The current Bachmann is split chassis too, a little more long lived, but you can only get that with the body on it unless you strike very lucky.

• RMweb Premium

Peters Spares advert in the latest issue of BRM mentions and illustrates replacement plastic axles and gears they are producing themselves "to bring old Mainline locos back to life". At £5.99 a set they might be worthy of consideration ? Texture of the plastic used would of course be an unknown quantity until obtained and tried.

Usual disclaimer, no connection with the firm etc etc.

Peters Spares advert in the latest issue of BRM mentions and illustrates replacement plastic axles and gears they are producing themselves "to bring old Mainline locos back to life". At £5.99 a set they might be worthy of consideration ? Texture of the plastic used would of course be an unknown quantity until obtained and tried.

Usual disclaimer, no connection with the firm etc etc.

thanks for pointing me to this...I remember reading an article where these plastic centred axles were repaired, a combination of glue and brass rings holding them together if I recall. Having said that I only currently have one ex mainline jubilee...the rest are the newer Bachmann...Hornby Lms 460s....it might tempt me to buy the nelson chassis knowing these are available to do any necessary repairs. In any event I am determined to motorise this one...if and when bought
  • Like 2

Hi all again,

Well reading the mag for the 8F in the middle page there is a picture of the 8F with a Fowler 3500 gallon tender. There is a really easy way to get a running model out of it. Use the Fowler 3500 gallon tender from the Airfix 4F and the chassis from an old Wrenn 8F.The old Airfix 4F was tender drive and putting a unmotered chassis on to the body should be fairly easy. Ok it is not perfect but should be quite reasonable and slightly different model out of it.

• Like 6