Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The list is on the 'rebel' site ... I still don't understand why the toys left the pram...

I have been to take a look at the 'model rail and rageoad zone', MRRZ, no need to register at all, everything's accessible to view.

Now consider what happened here on this thread. The Weathering Man made many postings on the basis of inside knowledge, then a character 'Kingpin' appeared with 'inside' information and this appeared to upset the original source of insider info, and he withdrew deleting all his postings from this thread. Now here's something odd: since that time no more Kingpin either as far as I can see.

Take a look at MRRZ, and form your own conclusions about the identity of at least three ostensibly differently named members who post a lot on the GBL subject...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been to take a look at the 'model rail and rageoad zone', MRRZ, no need to register at all, everything's accessible to view.

Now consider what happened here on this thread. The Weathering Man made many postings on the basis of inside knowledge, then a character 'Kingpin' appeared with 'inside' information and this appeared to upset the original source of insider info, and he withdrew deleting all his postings from this thread. Now here's something odd: since that time no more Kingpin either as far as I can see.

Take a look at MRRZ, and form your own conclusions about the identity of at least three ostensibly differently named members who post a lot on the GBL subject...

Funny that - the GBL topic is not viewable by guests - why could that be?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Although later lesser models have come and gone I just had to keep the h-d 3 rail. Agree about the flush glazing (unfortunately some of my packed away stock had printed windows!) The mainline ex lms 57' coaches that came out in the 80s looked very good window wise imho certainly compared to thick windowed mk1s.

Your 3rail lima western in an earlier post sounds an interesting idea...

The printed windows were typical of thirties models (the LNER coaches and horse box). I believe the non-corridor coaches were also drawn pre-war???). The windows also seem to be the first part of the printing to corrode. I have toyed with the idea of cutting out the windows and glazing them - the coaches are models of steel prototypes with faux panelling.

I've forgotten the exact details of my Lima Western conversion, but I think I connected the 2 rail pickups together and to one brush and connected the other to a pickup madefrom phosphor bronze mounted under the unpowered bogie. I can't remember if I replaced the dreadful Lima couplings with proper Dublo (or Peco) ones. (The wretched thing is now 'collectable' - I still haven't fitted the engraved plates I got for her - maybe the GBL one???) Luckily Lima wheels run well on Dublo track. I did find the drive gear on the 4575 fouled check rails on pointwork though. I'll have to dig her out of storage.

The 8F must be popular - I got the last one in Tilbury Asda and Greenhithe Asda had none this morning - lots of dinosaurs (an orange spinosaurus - a much superior spinosaurus is sold by Asda for £1*) and starships (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C. I saw this was £9.99 :O and decided I didn't want one after all! and bought a second hand Bachmann R.C.H. mineral wagon instead).

* Other dinosaurs are available.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Funny that - the GBL topic is not viewable by guests - why could that be?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I got this message - "Sorry MRRZ is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance work - back soon!"

• RMweb Premium

So I took a wander over there (*), and I don't think they liked your post that much....

http://modelrailwaysandroadszone.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1038&sid=15ee10bc4e4eb08628d138fd9d69eb37#p1038

* Took me several Google searches to find it! The link is here: http://modelrailwaysandroadszone.co.uk/ 

• RMweb Premium

So I took a wander over there (*), and I don't think they liked your post that much....

http://modelrailwaysandroadszone.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1038&sid=15ee10bc4e4eb08628d138fd9d69eb37#p1038

* Took me several Google searches to find it! The link is here: http://modelrailwaysandroadszone.co.uk/ 

Take cover !!!!!!!

Incoming ex-pram toys !!!!!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The printed windows were typical of thirties models (the LNER coaches and horse box). I believe the non-corridor coaches were also drawn pre-war???). The windows also seem to be the first part of the printing to corrode. I have toyed with the idea of cutting out the windows and glazing them - the coaches are models of steel prototypes with faux panelling.

I've forgotten the exact details of my Lima Western conversion, but I think I connected the 2 rail pickups together and to one brush and connected the other to a pickup from phosphor bronze mounted under the unpowered bogie. I can't remember if I replaced the dreadful Lima couplings with proper Dublo (or Peco) ones. (The wretched thing is now 'collectable' - I still haven't fitted the engraved plates I got for her - maybe the GBL one??? Luckily Lima wheels run well on Dublo track. I did find the drive gear on the 4575 fouled check rails on pointwork though. I'll have to dig her out of storage.

The 8F must be popular - I got the last one in Tilbury Asda and Greenhithe Asda had none this morning - lots of dinosaurs (an orange spinosaurus - a much superior spinosaurus is sold by Asda for £1*) and starships (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C. I saw this was £9.99 :O and decided I didn't want one after all! and bought a second hand Bachmann R.C.H. mineral wagon instead).

* Other dinosaurs are available.

Thanks David. The printed windows were of their era I suppose. My maroon br suburban coaches have printed windows too. Plus the freight wagons are printed tinplate as well. The moulded plastic stock was a great advance imho.

I've got a couple of Lima westerns in bits having used the bodies to practice spray painting ages ago so probably got enough parts for a working one and a 3rail experiment is on the cards. Getting interested in actually running the 3 rail now.

I sold my ok lima western when the Dapol one came out. Think they got the shape right.

Agree about the 8f being very popular. Asda only had one left early on the wednesday they were released which soon became mine. :-)

There's also a thread about Hornby/wrenn 8fs on model rail forum as well at the moment so a popular loco indeed.

• Like 1

Oh FFS!

I agree completely with Dick. This thread would be a lot more pleasant if it could be restricted to the op, and just be about model railways and model engines attached to magazines, again. Thank you.

Edited by railroadbill

• RMweb Premium

The popularity of the 8F could be down to several factors:- Its a really decent copy of the most recent Hornby RTR offering, many people have nostalgic recollections about the Hornby Dublo original models and its numbered as the LMS incarnation of the loco preserved on The Severn Valley Railway.

All good selling points I would say.

I agree completely with Dick. This thread would be a lot more pleasant if it could be restricted to the op, and just be about model railways and model engines attached to magazines, again. Thank you.

That wasn't my point...

We didn't start this, Bill.

• RMweb Premium

I clicked on the first one and it comes up 'No such post', the second one comes up 'Error 405'? The toys must be well and truly out of the pram.

Hmm, I registered a few weeks ago on MRRZ, didn't get any reply from my registration request but could log in a couple of days later anyway. Just tried to log in again and got "you have used an invalid username."

Username I registered with is the same as on here; I wonder what could possibly have happened? Perhaps the MRRZ site administrator will see this (seems to keep a close eye) and explain :)

Cheers

Phil

I was one on the earliest members to join that forum but it seemed to go through so many changes in a very short period of time I stopped looking. Now it seems I cannot reply to any topics. So I won't bother with it anymore.

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

I clicked on the first one and it comes up 'No such post', the second one comes up 'Error 405'? The toys must be well and truly out of the pram.

Just checked again, and at a guess the second one has been changed so that only members of that forum can view it.

The bit in it that related to the GBL reviews seemed to suggest that they'd been removed from this thread on RMweb, and moved to the new forum, to give it a unique selling point and that was why you had to sign up to view them. Personally I wouldn't join a new forum just to read some reviews, especially as there's not much else on there.

• Like 1

Dear all never meant to start any controversy ...just thought the proposed locos would be on interest...for myself have thoroughly enjoyed this series and when it's gone....well might start making things...only joking ..currently building a signal box long since disappeared, that controlled the west junction of my models location...its an ugly beast..just like me...all 1940s ARP design...brick and concrete. I make it whilst looking at the numerous GBL projects yet to be started let alone completed.....

• Like 3

Dear all never meant to start any controversy ...just thought the proposed locos would be on interest...for myself have thoroughly enjoyed this series and when it's gone....well might start making things...only joking ..currently building a signal box long since disappeared, that controlled the west junction of my models location...its an ugly beast..just like me...all 1940s ARP design...brick and concrete. I make it whilst looking at the numerous GBL projects yet to be started let alone completed.....

What controversy?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ho-hum.

If you have to be a member of a forum to VIEW the discussions, then I'm firmly of the Groucho tendancy.

Now we've got the unknown unknowns out of the way, Western HO!

Thinking of the Western, how were the bogies of the Peak and the HST treated?  Were they cast metal screwed to a flat bottom under the body, or something more involved?

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Guest spet0114

00 I trust!  :jester:

Not if Trix were concerned - halfway between OO and HO, gives 'OHO', or more colloquially 'Uh-oh'! :)

That list shows a wopping 28 locos planned. Was any evidence provided as to the validity of this list? I thought the series was only planned for 50, and was any reason given why its stopping at 41?

cheers

Shane