Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The next model is up on the website - it's the Western. It's maroon but even at high magnification I can't get the name and number.

It's as anticipated, so the next should be the J39.

Dick,

I take it the Stanier 8F is still due this coming week as per your last list?

Kind regards,

Jock.

The '8F' is listed on the website as the next issue, followed by the 'Western'. They've kept to this up to now, even if they've been a day or two late sometimes, so the '8F' is due next Wednesday and the 'Western' two weeks later. A further fortnight after that, we should see the 'J39' , but there's nothing definite on that one as yet.

I already have both, so the wallet should be safe for now. true I wasn't going to get a 'Britannia', but SWMBO insisted and she** isn't too bad (considering her almost prehistoric origins (The prototypes were still in service when the model first appeared*) and it did come with a binder.

* The GBL model is copied from the Hornby tender drive version, but this differs very little from the Tri-ang original.

** Refers to the Britannia of course!

Edited by Il Grifone

Dick,

I take it the Stanier 8F is still due this coming week as per your last list?

Kind regards,

Jock.

That's right. And if anyone wants an extra one, mine's up for swapsies, when it arrives.

I've just had a thought. The 57xx might look interesting in London Transport livery. The decals, including lining, are available as a set from Modelmaster.

• RMweb Gold

The '8F' is listed on the website as the next issue, followed by the 'Western'. They've kept to this up to now, even if they've been a day or two late sometimes, so the '8F' is due next Wednesday and the 'Western' two weeks later. A further fortnight after that, we should see the 'J39' , but there's nothing definite on that one as yet.

I already have both, so the wallet should be safe for now. true I wasn't going to get a 'Britannia', but SWMBO insisted and she isn't too bad (considering her almost prehistoric origins (The prototypes were still in service when the model first appeared*) and it did come with a binder.

* The GBL model is copied from the Hornby tender drive version, but this differs very little from the Tri-ang original.

I thought I'd missed the 8F, seems more than two weeks since the Brit appeared!

Nevermind, I'll be looking out for the 8F and the Western; the J39 looks like a potential purchase too.......

Any suggestions of retailers in SW London/Surrey where I might lay my hands on an 8f please? After the cement terminal at Hamworthy closed there was a group rebuilding one of the Turkish 8F's based there... I quite fancy a model but only at the right price.

Thanks

Jon

Any suggestions of retailers in SW London/Surrey where I might lay my hands on an 8f please? After the cement terminal at Hamworthy closed there was a group rebuilding one of the Turkish 8F's based there... I quite fancy a model but only at the right price.

Thanks

Jon

I get extras at WH Smith in either Wallington or Sutton, but you have to be there early. But see earlier post for simpler solution.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon

Are you going to do a British 8F or a TCDD "Churchill"?  If it's the latter, I can help with some post-withdrawal photos.

• Like 2

Guest spet0114

Please. Any mention of a livery other than maroon for western diesels should not be made in polite society. :-)

Anyone with a copy of the March 1987 edition of the toddler, turn to p114 for a very nice 'might have been' relivery project...

You reminded me someone has already done photoshopped versions of a Class 52 in BTC Black, here http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?52075bk1.jpg, which does look rather nice.

In response to earlier comments about NSE, http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?52075nse1.jpg Not for the faint hearted!

Can somebody have a go at FGW livery on a Western? Just for a laugh?

• Like 1

I'll send you mine on a promise of a Lord Nelson later. Or a set of transfers for a LPTB 57xx...

Can't promise an LN but the transfers are a possibility - I have another iron in the fire for this that might also come through - when would you need to know?

Hi Jon

Are you going to do a British 8F or a TCDD "Churchill"?  If it's the latter, I can help with some post-withdrawal photos.

Its a specific loco that I know next to nothing about beyond an article in the railway mag of nov'91 that tells me its 45160 owned by the Churchill Locomotive co. So any info on what modifications where in Turkey would be welcome.

Thanks

Jon

Can't promise an LN but the transfers are a possibility - I have another iron in the fire for this that might also come through - when would you need to know?

Absolutely no rush. Weeks...

Does your wife mind you referring to her 'prehistoric origins'? 

She's younger than me by a few years, so what would that make me?

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Its a specific loco that I know next to nothing about beyond an article in the railway mag of nov'91 that tells me its 45160 owned by the Churchill Locomotive co. So any info on what modifications where in Turkey would be welcome.

Thanks

Jon

My identified pictures are 45161 which is recorded as having worked Irmak-Cankiri north-east of Ankara.  It seems this was a common area for the 45151 class.  I have a few other photos of locos in traffic but none are identified as 41560.  I suspect the modifications were standard at first, but locos will have had more local adaptations as the years went on.  If you want what I've got, please PM your e-mail addy.

post-7420-0-45801200-1431293991_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

45160 was one of the batch built with right-hand-drive for service in Turkey. It runs today in British guise as LMS 8274.

They led a very hard life, as is evident from 45161's very bent footplate. TCDD didn't spend much money on cosmetics!

Local modifications would be the Prussian P8-style smokebox door with 4 "dog" handles on the door ring, the cowcatcher and the three headlamps, arranged German-style "Dreilicht-Spitzensignal".

• Like 1

I subscribed and get every issue sent to me. Ok, actually sent to my friend in Bromley since I am in the States, so I have not actually seen any of the 31 locos that I bought and I have waiting for me in the UK. All the postings have been great for me to read even though I will just be putting mine on shelves. Anyway, according to my friend who  is graciously collecting them for me in his small flat, along with the 31 locos there are also 3 more that came, a Ty5 1947, a F40PH 1976 Amtrak, and a Seria 1200 1961 (Portuguese). I am told two of them area smaller scale. Does anyone know anything about these other locos and why I got them?

• Like 1

... the J39 looks like a potential purchase too...

It won't take much for this one to go horribly wrong though, because a large proportion of the boiler underside is formed by the cast block of the mechanism. Either of scanning the body with the mechanism removed, or the mechanism slightly mislocated in the body, is going to produce something very odd. I bought my J39s s/h, and mislocating the mechanism is clearly very simple as all 3 were in versions of this condition; they came quite separately from 3 different owners over an extended period of time.

She's younger than me by a few years, so what would that make me?

Then again, we're all of prehistoric origin, with our assembly of 'useful parts' picked up along the way.The fine external appearance conceals some stuff not far distant from what is believed to have been floating around in the primordial gloop. Cautionary note: I can from personal experience attest that this sort of thing does not work as a chat up line for the generality of the female of the species. Best not to tell her that she's made of ancient salvage inside...

along with the 31 locos there are also 3 more that came, a Ty5 1947, a F40PH 1976 Amtrak, and a Seria 1200 1961 (Portuguese). I am told two of them area smaller scale. Does anyone know anything about these other locos and why I got them?

I expect those would be the delPrado models in 1:160 N.

Ty5

F40PH

CP1200