Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Not surprisingly, the GBL B12 is a straight copy of the Hornby model, but with simplified livery and moulded handrails. The dome is flatter and the chimney seems a touch thinner. There is no cab glazing, unusually. So all that was wrong with the original, -too short, too small-diameter boiler-, is replicated here. But plenty of folk have adapted the model over the years to produce something usable, so for £8.99 it seems a reasonable buy, esp if, like Railroad Bill, parts to motorise are already sitting in the parts box.

There's a couple of things that make me think it's not an *exact* copy, but better in some subtle ways - the lack of the slot in the front of the body for the thunking great piece of metal that holds the Hornby chassis in place, and the rather nicer vacuum pipes and coupling hooks than on the original. The lack of chassis slot would make a simple re-body of an older model a rather more challenging prospect.

Were there any real engines which had a 7'9" x 8'3" wheelbase?

There were a few,off the top of my head,without trawling through a lot of reference books,the LC&DR Kirtley 'B','B1' and 'B2' classes spring to mind..

Subscription copies have just arrived. No major build or printing issues apart from the B12 chimney being a bit out of true.

At first I thought that the smokebox on the B12 was wrong with the straight line at the bottom. But it is prototypical. You learn something new every day. Another one for the shelf, although it is crying out for something to be done with it. The Scot will be detailed and motorised eventually.

Jason

Sainsburys at Frome had a single B12 on the shelf late last night.

None in Ealing WHS. Looks like they've given up again.

....At first I thought that the smokebox on the B12 was wrong with the straight line at the bottom. But it is prototypical. You learn something new every day. ...

Whereas the D16/3 (the popular conversion option) had a fully circular extension on its otherwise built-up smokebox.

I've had something delivered but I've no idea what it is...

I've had it redelivered to #1 son (you can do that online) but when he goes to get the registered letter at the post office he may have trouble with the ID as it appears to have been addressed in 5-year old writing to 'Nana and Pop-Pops'...

I hadn't really noticed until the weekend mainly as the b12 wasn't on my to buy list....now been in a number of local shops that normally stock it...none in sight....this does not bode well for the ones I require...

• RMweb Gold

My usual stockist only received a single B12, but it is an attractive loco.

I was on holiday for the C class and missed out on it, anyone got a swapsie requirement I might match or is willing to sell.

I'm up in Cumbria next week, anywhere round Carlisle way that a reliable stockist?

• RMweb Gold

Saw the B12 in Sainsburys yesterday, its a nice looking version.  Its the first GBL issue I've bought since the intro Mallard and Coronation replicas.  It may go to replacing the body on a Hornby B12 thats met the floor one time too often, although having said that, while the A4 got motorised using a surplus Flying Scotsman chassis, the Coronation is still awaiting a cheap Duchess chassis...

I might look out for the Pannier, it may do to modernise a Hornby 27xx!

It probably would, as the GBL model appears to be based on the Hornby version of the 8750, which uses basically the same chassis as the 2721.

My Coronation is awaiting her Dublo chassis to be fitted. I'm still debating whether to do the job properly and replace the wheels.

The 'N' class is listed on the GBL site as issue 31 in BR lined black with the 'ferret' emblem.

http://greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/_uk/?page_id=7

EDIT

Blowing up the picture, it seems a decent model (presumably ex Bachmann). There appear to be some minor issues with the valvegear (not the first time) and the pony truck guard irons. (I'd better save up my £8.99!)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

That's according to schedule and due April 15th. That's good, as I get back to England on April 14th! I shall want 2 or 3 for repainting in livery variations.

BR black, I see. Southern green would have been better, but I think SECR grey might also be appropriate if it can be shewn as an earlier loco from the first batch. I don't know if the nameplate will be present as that's not clear from the small illustration.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Southern green would have been better.

Yes! I was so looking forward to another pretty little green engine.......

• Like 2

lowing up the picture, it seems a decent model (presumably ex Bachmann). There appear to be some minor issues with the valvegear (not the first time) and the pony truck guard irons. (I'd better save up my £8.99!)

Pardon my ignorance, but what seems to be the problem with the valve gear, other than the motion bracket being painted silver? I'll grant that there have been... interesting interpretations of Walschaerts valve gear so far, but I can't see anything on (the tiny picture of) this model.

The return crank is misaligned with the wheel. Of course, it could just be the part not being located properly , though GBL motion is usually (always?) just one solid piece. Also the crosshead is in a forward position, whereas the wheel cranks are pointing towards the rear. This would produce some interesting results...... (from a safe distance!)

(Comparison with the photograph of the prototype shows this quite clearly, as the wheels are more or less in the same position.)

Edited by Il Grifone

You're absolutely right! Can hardly believe I missed that now... Ah well, I'll probably still have a look at it in the shop. Almost as strange as the Royal Scot where the front half of the crosshead was in one position and the back half another...

You're absolutely right! Can hardly believe I missed that now... Ah well, I'll probably still have a look at it in the shop. Almost as strange as the Royal Scot where the front half of the crosshead was in one position and the back half another...

I missed that one! but then my Scot is rather down the list for attention.