Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Got one at Astley Bridge Asda in Bolton; there were two more. All were in reasonable condition and I couldn't see any missing bits or horrors in the paint job.

This really is a nice model and all for just £8.99. This is one gift horse whose mouth I will not be looking in. Very pleased.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here is the result of my lunchtime raid of the local ASDAs.

post-6821-0-17747600-1415898566_thumb.jpg

And they are mine, all mine!!!

A bit of a mixed bag quality wise. It should be possible to get one decent model out of them, in this livery. The rest will be modified and repainted anyway.

As for getting them back on their display bases, I've never had that problem as all of mine have gone straight into a bin.

• Like 10

WHS Chester had 4 or 5 Princesses on Wednesday, but as reported, the late running T9 was absent.

Also absent from my backup suppliers in Chester.

On trying to order 2 T9s at WHS Chester, I was eventually advised to phone in this (Thursday) morning.

Called, and after being put on hold for a while, I was advised to call back as the staff member concerned was busy.

On calling back, I was advised that none had arrived, and it looked like WHS Chester would NOT be getting any T9s in. (Go Figure! ;) )

Sainsbury's Ellesmere Port (AKA Cheshire Oaks) today had one slightly battered in the packaging example, so at least I have the one!

This one has an extra set of LSWR lettering on the one side of the tender, luckily enough on the black bit! ;)

gallery_12119_2911_187083.jpg

gallery_12119_2911_155154.jpg

gallery_12119_2911_137761.jpg

gallery_12119_2911_15210.jpg

gallery_12119_2911_75115.jpg

• Like 2

I've read stories of the LSWR triple-heading locos on long trains (over 4 coaches...)

'Skin' and 'rice pudding' come to mind!

The GWR had disposed of all its large wheel 4-4-0s by the early thirties........

Back to the GBL version, that plastic coal has to go, though it looks ideal for hiding a cow-pat pancake motor. At least the brake blocks aren't solid with the wheels, like the 'Princess'. They are too far away, but that can be remedied.

Edited by Il Grifone

Ok just rub it in...none in my usual wh smith in merry hill ( Black Country this where the yanks announce a place...London ...England...shire) anyway if they were in there they were craftily hidden by advent calendars , selection boxes and posters of something called one direction....thought that might refer to a certain railway that used to share this part of Eden with the the nor western...anyway bearing in mind earlier correspondence..thought I'd check in the Anne ( season between spring and autumn) next door Well let me inform you my purchase there dosnt need a 12v transformer.....will try for t9 tomorrow....if I have any energy left!

Ok just rub it in...none in my usual wh smith in merry hill ( Black Country this where the yanks announce a place...London ...England...shire) anyway if they were in there they were craftily hidden by advent calendars , selection boxes and posters of something called one direction....thought that might refer to a certain railway that used to share this part of Eden with the the nor western...anyway bearing in mind earlier correspondence..thought I'd check in the Anne ( season between spring and autumn) next door Well let me inform you my purchase there dosnt need a 12v transformer.....will try for t9 tomorrow....if I have any energy left!

I belive one direction are a currently popular beat combo. They are especially popular with deaf people and people who are hard of thinking. They were put together in a group after they sold their souls to the devil at a crossroads (well there was an X involved and it was Simon Cowell) there music will last until the end of the month before they end up in rehab / big brother/ or the jungle eating insects and kangaroo testicles. Well we can always hope.

Somehow, my wife, who clearly should not be under-estimated, managed to find two T9s for me today in our local WHS. I've never even managed to spot a single example of the GBL mag in there, nor indeed the "bin" in which I'm told these two examples were located. Time I moved over and let my better half run my railway modelling activities perhaps?

• Like 2

I've taken one of the T9 apart to see if is possible to use my B12 chassis method to motorize it and I'm pleased to say it should be quite easy to do as when stripped the GBL body is not unlike the Hornby one. The first job is to remove the four screws that hold the loco and tender to the stand, then four more screws two under the loco and two under the tender hold the respective parts together. When the locos screws are removed the chassis foot plate and boiler come apart in to three pieces (not forgetting to release the two injectors that seem to be lightly glued to the boiler each side I think the cab should come off the running plate but the first one I've had a look at is well glued on so I'll leave well alone for now.

Here's a selection of pictures showing the body in parts.

In the first one is the GBL body left with a Hornby one, using a razor saw and by drilling a succession of holes which could be joined up it would be easy to remove the filled in area on the GBL body

post-17847-0-62570900-1415901843_thumb.jpg

and a closer look

post-17847-0-35656000-1415901906_thumb.jpg

Another look at the two bodies the GBL one in front

post-17847-0-83950900-1415901848_thumb.jpg

and the two boilers upturned

post-17847-0-17023600-1415901857_thumb.jpg

Here's the chassis

post-17847-0-10706400-1415901864_thumb.jpg

The cab is quite well detailed but needs painting

post-17847-0-68377300-1415901877_thumb.jpg

In this view is the Hornby one again (Left) with the GBL body, one wide cab and the other narrow

post-17847-0-32440300-1415901893_thumb.jpg

Next is the tender once again when the screws are removed it breaks down into three parts, the top deck, the main body and the chassis. It would be quite easy to make up a new chassis to make this a running chassis and the removable deck means you can add weight and make the coal well deeper as if there was no or little coal in it

In this first tender picture is the tender and the top deck.

post-17847-0-71752500-1415902501_thumb.jpg

and the body and chassis

post-17847-0-20090600-1415902515_thumb.jpg

The final picture shows the tender along side a Caledonian 8 wheel tender and although it need a bit of work the tender body is very close size wise to the T9 one which is just a bit narrower. So if any one were thinking of converting to a Scottish loco this tender would be a good starting point.

post-17847-0-73350200-1415902527_thumb.jpg

Hope these are a help as I said it shouldn't need a lot of work to convert into a running example. Steve

Edited by Londontram

I belive one direction are a currently popular beat combo. They are especially popular with deaf people and people who are hard of thinking. They were put together in a group after they sold their souls to the devil at a crossroads (well there was an X involved and it was Simon Cowell) there music will last until the end of the month before they end up in rehab / big brother/ or the jungle eating insects and kangaroo testicles. Well we can always hope.

Met 2 old colleagues for lunch today and it turned out that one had taken his 15 year old grand daughter to see One Direction at Wembley.  I said Wembley arena and he said no, Wembley Stadium, it was packed. What a nightmare. I'd never heard of One Direction and referred to them as One Round but my other friend pointed out that that was a character in the Ladykillers.   What fun we have. :fan:

I say all this because I went to Asda this morning only to find...   they didn't have any T9s!!!!!!   (Couldn't find anyone who knew about GBL either).

Going to widen the  search tomorrow.....  :(

Good afternoon/evening all.

T9 day today!! After late deliveries to all my normal places for finding Gbl items. Sorry to say that I think the T9 model that I first purchased was utter rubbish. Unbeknown to me the base it sits on had a major split in it. !! :O

Again this was out of sight through the front packing, I could not take item back to seller as it was to far away and I will not be going back there this week. 

Ok, I have mentioned this in previous threads, I don't understand what 'Great Bulbous Lumps' production line quality final checking policy is??

Think in my job, if things were this bad it would be the sack and a size ten out the door!!!

The base however was least of my worries, pipework on right hand side of T9 was missing completely. Did not notice this either as its on side where you cannot see in packaging. Looked like an attempt to glue it back on had failed!!???

W H Smith had chucked this item in those crazy black boxes at rear of shop so I did not see it on purchase!!

Think this is the second time I have had this problem with a Gbl model with parts missing and damaged. See my thread sometime ago on subject of Coronation model issue number 2.!!

Will not be contacting GBL as you will all be aware and remember a complete waste of time!! :rtfm:

The tender also had major issues. One of the foot steps, again on side you cannot see is way up in the air!!I also agree with the earlier threads that the coal is so unrealistic.

On the T9 Locomotive Is it also my imagination or does width of the cab look far to narrow, and tall looking head on??

Looks a bit 'Thomas The Tank' :sarcastichand: !!!!

Numbering and lettering was also a bit skew whiff!!! Again none of this could be seen from the front of the packaging.

Colour scheme is odd to say the least, I remember this loco as the famous 120 in (NRM) green. Think this is the colour they were trying to achieve !!!!?????

( swmbo) in doors, said of this model it looks like bogeeee green, think she could be right!!!!???

Strangely went and got another one of these models on the way back from London this afternoon. The one I got was better, but not much!! I will be following in (Smiffy2) shoes and one of these will be knocked out in British Railways Colour scheme and this will be the first model one that is damaged.

Got to delve deep in scrap box I think I have some clack spare clack valves and florist wire to replace missing pipework. I worked on the T9 up the Midhants Railway so I have plenty of photographs to get it right.

The other model I have here maybe converted to Oil burner No731, this will cover up the rubbish coal moulding in tender area :dontknow:.!!!

Call it a day here for now, I will try and get round to up loading photos of the 'green wet and rusty' (GWR) 45xx that has been completely stripped rebuilt and started to be super detailed using Se Finecast and airfix /kitmaster parts. All out of scrap box, I never throw things away concerning railway modelling.

Going back to the T9 photographs are very good in the attached magazine. If you go out and about in the Meon Valley area in Hampshire around and about West Meon you will be amazed how different it now looks, the yard and platform area at West Meon has now been completely cleared always worth a look up there to see what's going on.

But on the subject of the T9 model was it really worth waiting for, think the jury's out on this one!!! :cry:

Edited by Uries15
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've read stories of the LSWR triple-heading locos on long trains (over 4 coaches...)

I've not got any LSWR oaches (yet), and Wyndal isn't really big enough for this sort of thing, but here goes.

post-6821-0-31928700-1415907339_thumb.jpg

My local 'smiffs' is more interested in being a post office and selling calenders than selling interesting magazines. The last GBL is saw in there was Mallard! Just as well the two ASDAs here stock them.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Here is the result of my lunchtime raid of the local ASDAs.

attachicon.gifGBL_T9_1.jpg

And they are mine, all mine!!!

A bit of a mixed bag quality wise. It should be possible to get one decent model out of them, in this livery. The rest will be modified and repainted anyway.

As for getting them back on their display bases, I've never had that problem as all of mine have gone straight into a bin.

Not the Basildon branch by any chance? Went in there this morning and only a gap on the shelves. :rtfm:

Just been into my local azda Halesowen to buy some more batteries....there she is a T9....she is so attractive.in her LWSR .yes you've guessed it going to attack with razor saw...fix bits of plastic....paint drab black. Stick on highland chimney and dome....relocate to the far north and rename Ben alder...will post results

• Like 7

Actually, I've already got one, one on subscription to come and three swapsies, so I should have five...

Question - I've been looking but not finding - is there an easy (r-t-r or kit) route to a 6-wheel tender?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a really easy way to a 6 wheeled tender (with pickups!) Peter's spares sell the two chassis parts and the wheels. You will then have to cut down the body to fit the chassis (I think you will have to take about an inch out of it). Piece of cake... The criminal thing is that the chassis bits cost more than the GBL body!

Andy G

• Like 1