Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Looking for wheels for my 'Princess' I found Hornby spare bodies and tender on eBay at £39.95  This makes GBL's offering a real bargain!

I see the Hornby tender has the same additions to the frame so that's where they came from, but what are they?

Bachmann USA hold very comprehensive stocks of spare parts, although I'm certain they come from dismantled returns instead of a concerted effort to overproduce spares during the original production runs.

I'm actually thinking of taking a redundancy and going into business repairing model railways- the after sales support for foreign imports is woeful, as is the attitude of customers. Years ago, my local model shop would have repaired defective locos, now it seems all that happens is they are returned to the manufacturer.

I believe you are correct in your assessment of how spares are now sourced; other than standard subsystems, of which the motor is the main example.

Test of concept of your repair shop idea. Just try ordering a range of spares, and see what availability and delivery you get.

I realise it may have been a freudian slip describing customer attitude as 'woeful'; but it is not far from the truth of a significant sector of the customer base. You can tell potential customers all you like that it will typically be 'X' weeks from receipt of broken item to return repaired, and repair will often only be possible IF the required spares are available from the manufacturer, with an applicable scale of charges according to the service provided. You'll still be lambasted up and down the internet for making an inspection charge and holding the model for three months until all possibility of the required spares being available has been eliminated, and you have had to return the model as 'unrepairable, manufacturer's spares not available'.

But you never know. Possibly a manufacturer would like someone who knows what they are doing, to whom they can sub-contract the work...

Looking for wheels for my 'Princess' I found Hornby spare bodies and tender on eBay at £39.95  This makes GBL's offering a real bargain!

I see the Hornby tender has the same additions to the frame so that's where they came from, but what are they?

Sieve boxes, I believe. Something to do with water filtering?

A few pics of the 8P, which hopefully will show where some of the problems lie. Giving it a quick once over it looks like the chassis casting is too narrow causing it to sit high. If a solution can be found it will make a very good model for £8.99

15053724144_a2dbd45421_c.jpg
S1670005 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

15675277582_ebf2d16bdf_c.jpg
S1670004 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

15488298298_1df7c93729_c.jpg
S1670003 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

15054325393_aa5ec674fa_c.jpg
S1670002 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

15488300218_92ef97b392_c.jpg
S1670001 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Why help such a disgusting company with no moral fibre get even richer?

Crowd sourcing would be better.[/quote

I Agree with these views. GBL for all its faults has been good for us modellers providing reasonably good static models as a base for convertions. It depends on the donor model, but overall they have been reasonably accurate and cheap to permit much sawing and cutting. A bit like a modern version of Kitmaster. No doubt some customers have suffered from poor customer service but it seems these are mainly those who took out subscriptions. Personally I put a standing order for 1 of each through my local newsagent and purchased more from high street stores if I thought they were good enough and wanted more. I have not had any problems but accept some are better finished than others. As modellers we can usually correct these and anyway I accept the variable quality for the price. So long as the base model is dimensionally ok I am satisfied.

As a general comment I think most of the copies have been fairly good, some excellent. Some of the G W models have not been so good but this is mostly because of the donor model.

Referring to the list of models mentioned by GBL but not yet produced, the packing card also mentions an LNER V2. This would have to be copied from Bachmn and would be welcome.

I too have a number of Hrnby Priness Royals. Photo of my valve gear and trailing frame conversion might be of interest. This was done using fine brass and plasticard from Princess drawings published in Railway Modeller.

Jerryattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

One final attempt to make my points understood.

Price of Hornby Princess : £120

Price of GBL magazine with freebie Princess : £9

Thus you can get a magazine plus a non-running Princess from GBL for 7.5% of the price of the Hornby powered version.

How can this be achieved?

In three principal ways :-

1] instead of investing in extensive research, scan someone elses model to get the basic dimensions;

2] dumb the model down to the most basic standard, whilst still producing something that is recognisable as its prototype;

3] keep production and distribution costs down to an absolute minimum.

Looking at these factors more closely, 1] is self explanatory and does actually produce a model that is a good replica of the original model; (though not necessarily of the prototype loco).

2] involves reducing the model to the minimum number of components, and providing no moving parts; plus simplifying assembly and decoration work as far as is possible.

3] primarily involves achieving massive reductions in overall human input, as staff wages are probably the most expensive single outlay in producing these models.

In other words, they have to knock these things out at a phenomenal rate ! Thus you don't worry about mis-assembly, missing components, wonky livery, etc.; in fact, you don't bother with quality control.

As to distribution, you ship them out to major retailers en masse. Your target market doesn't know much about trains, and is very unlikely to notice the odd missing component or dodgy livery application.

Once the series goes on sale, you discover that there are a significant number of railway modellers who can find a use for your freebies. In fact, they start badgering you for multiple re-orders that need individual despatch, and they complain about what are, to you, trivial detail defects. You don't get any other complaints except from this tiresome group of individuals.

So, you second one of the office minions to dealing with this unwanted distraction; this person would much sooner be doing his regular duties and so 'can't really be @rsed' !

All in all, you come to regret choosing model railways as a subject for a series, as dealing with these nuisance customers is eating into your mass market profits.

A very cynical view, perhaps, but probably not far from the truth. But - what can you expect for 7.5% of the cost of a Hornby model?

All of the things that have been complained about could, of course, be eliminated by devoting more person-hours to production and distribution.

But - would your mass market stump up £15 to £20 for a magazine and a better quality freebie? Not on your Nellie !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Oof. Shane, you must be bursting.

On the Princeress, the same problem of overtightening the front fixing screw also caused trouble with the Claud Butler Henderson. It simply distorted the boiler moulding so that the smokebox door couldn't fit (I did mention that to someone who had the problem, but they never answered whether or not it helped cure the problem). I guess that's just representative of sloppy assembly practices, and cheap screwdrivers (no torque setting). But yours looks very high - about a scale foot.

Is that a curve on the footplate or is it an artefact of the lens?

Edited by Smiffy2

Sieve boxes, I believe. Something to do with water filtering?

Checking photos it would seem they appeared in the BR period (I had never noticed them before!) and are also present on 'Coronations'.

There is a curve present in the running plate. It will depend on how tightly the screw is inserted, as it's due to misfitting parts. The excessive height is due to the sub-frame being too deep and not fitting properly between the splashers. This can be seen in the photos.

All will be resolved by fitting a proper chassis with a motor....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Yet again you have replied in a way that misses the point.

Again your reply is grossly insulting to a sector of the market in that you suggest that some of 'joe public' will not notice missing parts etc.

You state that a person who complains perfectly justly is nothing more than a nuisance.

You make excusses for a discusting standard of 'customer service' by trotting out these statements.

Yes agreed that there will be a minority of railway modellers who will expect too much for the price of the GBL models (isnt there always) but the vast majority of us know what we are getting from GBL and accept them for what they are - a pretty good starting point for acheiving much more.

What none of us expect or should be expected to accept is models that are incomplete or damaged REGARDLESS OF THE PRICE.

And as for a company adopting the attitude you sugest as policy then other authorities would soon step in an take action.

What I believe has happened is that the series was launched before a proper customer care centre was set up and consequently what is now in place is strugling - I base my thoughts on the fact that to my personal knowledge the 'returns' arrangements and customer service dept has moved three times, once from Poland and to two addresses in the UK.

This is no excuse for poor service but may be something of an explanation, albeit little help to those caught up in the problems.

I'm sorry John but one is forced to wonder if as a model trader yourself you see a customer who might have reason to complain to you in a similar manner to your comments.

Nobody, least of all, JohnMartin has asked for anything unreasonable of GBL and I ceel it sad that one of our hobby's traders should make the kind of insulting comments that you have done about a sector of the market, whether that sector be from among us modellers or the so called 'joe public'.

Regards

As you don't sign your postings I can't address you by name - so, TheWeatheringMan,

Please read my e-mail again; at no point have I suggested that the scenario set out in my hypothesis is based on my own views.

However, I do feel that it is likely to be a fair stab at the thought processes that preceded the GBL series coming onto the market, and which arise from the negative feedback which they are now receiving from a minority of their customers.

As to my own standard of products and customer service, I would simply direct you to http://www.cctrans.org.uk/ . There you will find a tiny sample of the extremely positive feedback that constantly receive.

As an example, a customer contacted me last evening pointing out that, in changing the wagon numbers on a second sheet of transfers that he had ordered, (to save him extra work), I had forgotten to duplicate the numbers over to the RH side of the sheet. No, quibble, just apologies for my oversight and a replacement sheet in today's post.

So, please don't insult me by suggesting that, because I put forward reasons why the GBL locos are not pristine, and their after-sales service is poor, this somehow reflects my own attitude to my customers.

I try to put forward logical arguments in my posts; clearly they are wasted on some readers. Hysterical haranguing, and suggestions that the 'authorities' could step in, will achieve nothing.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

I've just done some mods (with a hacksaw) to the 8P and it looks fantastic and almost P4!15672956111_be9a922938_c.jpgS1670006 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr15651147606_093feca95c_c.jpgS1670007 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr15489486248_7472291538_c.jpgS1670008 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr15490067210_271f6b7e51_c.jpg[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/50531694

Brilliant Wolf27. Can you tell us or show where you made the cuts. It seems to have solved the chassis height problem.

• Like 3

Could you do a description of how you did the mods with photos showing how you did it please.

I will over the weekend and do some better pics. Doing the pics and write up will take longer than the actual butchery!

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 1

On both the GBL LMS class 5 and the princess and possibly the standard 4 mt tank, the smoke box door ring is stuck on the end of the boiler and sticks out more than on the original model. I know this was mentioned in earlier threads about the class 5. In fact the smoke box front needs to fit inside the boiler rather than in front.

Has anyone yet solved this problem and found a way of making a correct fit for the boiler front? The outer ring could be filed down but this might be difficult to do easily and neatly.

Any advice would be helpful.

Jerry

Is that also why the cylinders appear to be set at far too steep an angle?

It is one of the nicest GWR designed locos, though.

Yes, they are fixed to the front frame section which is correctly fixed to the running plate. The huge gap between the rear frame sections does the rest.

Hi David,

I am informed that there is several small faults in the tooling resulting in the moulded parts not fitting together quite as they should and resulting in the development of the curving. The curving does vary between samples as not all parts suffer the same amount of distorsion as this is to some extent dependent on other factors such as the plastic 'grind' (mix) used for a batch of 'shots'.

It should be possible to make adjustments in the way you have suggested and provided the 'bending' is properly teased out the result should remain stable - although inbuilt moulding stresses might mean some warping will re-occure after some time.

Regards

Hi,

They appear (or at least my single example does*) to be moulded flat and the bend is due principally to the smokebox door moulding not fitting flush (not helped by a moulding 'pip' right at the bottom). Only time will tell whether the curvature will reappear, but firmly fixing it to the frames should discourage it. I have still to measure things up properly.

* I'm after another to make into the 'Turbomotive', but our local Asda only had one.

On mine I've taken a saw and cut straight back from the front section of the frames above the bogie and deepened the slots that take the wheel casting. This brings the wheels up to the underside of the running plate in which a clearance hole will have to be cut.

It's interesting how all the original fixing screws etc. have been faithfully copied under the chassis.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible that the petty squabbling and arguing that has started to dominate this and other threads lately be taken elsewhere please as I for one am getting sick of it.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1