Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Just an update on my hare brained scheme to utilise the d11 cast chassis....well after a couple of hours with dremel heavy duty cutting disc....razor saw...much expletetives..Wheels hacked off. That is when I had that moment of enlightenment....most of the weight in the chassis is contained in the wheels......doh........will create this chassis from an alternative source . Must remember in future my qualifications , b minus GCE "spotting the flipping obvious" and my a star in " how to ask a SFQ". Meanwhile back to my neglected Ivatt.....

I think most of us have those qualifications truth be told. SFQ sounds like a TOPS wagon code (handbrake only with air pipes!). I'm hoping to obtain a second-hand Hornby D49 for my version.

W H Smiths in Tamworth still had the 4MT 2-6-4 on the shelf today; surprisingly I then found Butler Henderson in Sainsburys.  Admittedly only the one (make that none; my hands went like lightning....) but it is mine now, mine ha ha ha....

Oh sorry, no idea how I started channeling evil laughter there....

From an initial inspection it looks to be a very nice clean, crisp model.  With a bit of work it could be superlative. 

So Mr Bond.......I have the means to motorise the D11 ..and there's nothing you can do to stop me...!!!!

• Like 1

I think most of us have those qualifications truth be told. SFQ sounds like a TOPS wagon code (handbrake only with air pipes!). I'm hoping to obtain a second-hand Hornby D49 for my version.

cheers emperor you think at times like these you are alone in your failure to have appreciated the obvious....two grown up sons...ready to add unsolicited advice...just when you need it most...anyway considered the d 49 chassis as a replacement. I have however built what appears to be an acceptable brass 040 chassis....at least the driving wheels sit nicely on glass plate...yet to add reworked coupling rods...if this results in no binds....ie freewheeling...then will add front frame extensions for front bogie.My biggest problem is concentrating on one project at a time. I'm writing this looking at a number of my purchases from this series....all of which I will seek to rechassis and motorise. The irony then they will sit with the rest of my collection probably not turning a wheel for a considerable time. I suppose the pleasure for me is the knowledge they can work if required...and yes overcoming these little (major) setbacks. Apologies for rambling..my last qualification as a recognised cure for insomnia....SFQ...yes tops code indeed....
  • Like 1

Twelve directors in WH Smith Wigan when I went in today, ten when I left. A nicely painted and lettered loco, with a decent mag and a binder for under £9. The kids have claimed the binders for schoolwork so a saving there. Front bufferbeams on both mine are drooping down abit (see above) - a minor job (I hope).

One will adorn my computer unchanged, and the other will be tatified, heavily weathered & live alongside my Kitmaster Garrett in the scrapyard.

Brit15

There's a good picture in the "Scenes from the Past" book on "Manchester & District" of a Director awaiting cutting-up at Gorton which may be of interest.

Darrel just a quickie (actress and bishop ...) and tongue firmly in cheek.....the spatula in background....is it the right hand GWR...left hand LMS or even the Eastern as rebuilt by Mr Thompson.....can't be a bullied as it still looks like one......

Darrel just a quickie (actress and bishop ...) and tongue firmly in cheek.....the spatula in background....is it the right hand GWR...left hand LMS or even the Eastern as rebuilt by Mr Thompson.....can't be a bullied as it still looks like one......

Dunno but we'll seen I don't have a SWMBO I wouldn't be allowed to use the kitchen like this if I did. And as for the coffee table in the lounge ......

Just an update on availability in the dudley area Stourbridge smiths had two yesterday...merry hill had four. I am intrigued by the 7mm mallard part work...but then again why would I want a 7mm A4...,about as relevant to my 4mm midlands layout as say a model of butler Henderson".............

got a £5 off voucher with mine yesterday, for people thinking about multiple buys, get 1 , my voucher gives £5 off when spending over £15 on All  books magazines and bookazines, so buy another 2 for £5 off and repeat as required!! valid from 22nd to oct 5th though

Edited by kernowtim

The D11 does look nice there's something almost Noble about British 4-4-0s. I'm still hoping no almost willing for the series  to last long enough for the T9 ...

I yearn for the T9...The 4-4-0 thing is interesting. because we could now make quite a nice little display of them...

What surprised me with the D11 is how big it was.

With one or two aberrant specimens excepted, the UK's 4-4-0s as a group were consistently very handsome. The lovely pre-group liveries that almost all can carry doesn't hurt either. With any luck both Bach and Hornby's ventures into models of the type have established their commercial viability for the future. Many very attractive subject options out there. The only problem is a 'period train' for them, (unless run 'as preserved') and the thought that crosses my mind is what about a Royal Train? These presumably worked 'through' to spare the monarch of the day the necessity of changing trains, so would be a 'goes anywhere' option.The loco would be bulled up too in this service, so looking ex-works..

The D11 is in the maximum weight group for a 'traditional' inside cylinder 4-4-0, and a clear contender for best of this breed by its longevity in service. (The significantly larger later 4-4-0 designs built in the grouping period were  three cylinder types.) The interesting comparison loco to the D11 is the GER S69 / LNER B12, the sole truly successful stretch of the inside cylinder 4-4-0 to the inside cylinder 4-6-0 format, and in its original form little heavier than a D11.

• Like 2

With one or two aberrant specimens excepted, the UK's 4-4-0s as a group were consistently very handsome. The lovely pre-group liveries that almost all can carry doesn't hurt either. With any luck both Bach and Hornby's ventures into models of the type have established their commercial viability for the future. Many very attractive subject options out there. The only problem is a 'period train' for them, (unless run 'as preserved') and the thought that crosses my mind is what about a Royal Train? These presumably worked 'through' to spare the monarch of the day the necessity of changing trains, so would be a 'goes anywhere' option.The loco would be bulled up too in this service, so looking ex-works..

Don't forget that even back then even ordinary passenger carriages could be "worked through" from one railway to another - for example the WCML was run by different companies north and south of Carlisle.

I would be interested to hear if anybody has had any thoughts about how to motorise Butler Henderson. 

I've just stripped mine down and there are some.... interesting discoveries I seem to have made.  I'll come to those later. 

After releasing the three screws holding the model to the base you are presented with the body loose from the driving wheels. With the tender, once the longer model-base screw has been released there are two smaller screws to be undone and then the body moulding is free from the chassis block. 

DSCF2315_zpsc685e19f.jpg

DSCF2317_zps3709c14b.jpg

DSCF2316_zps48dff3e7.jpg

SAC Martin has already shown how the tender needs no further work and can be grafted straight on to a rolling chassis, so I'll concentrate on the locomotive now. 

The bogie casting is secured by a moulded lug on the body, and can just (carefully!) be popped off.  The bogie also holds the front bufferbeam in place so once removed the bufferbeam also comes loose. 

DSCF2318_zps24b50d03.jpg

DSCF2319_zpsa73c2305.jpg

Have a care at this point; removing the bufferbeam, the vacuum pipe shot across the room and I had the Devil's own job finding it again....

You will now note two deep-set screws, one between the wheels and one between the drivers and the bogie.

DSCF2320_zpsd7948782.jpg

Removing these the boiler and cab come free from the running plate. 

DSCF2321_zps594f6cb0.jpg

DSCF2322_zps00f32019.jpg

Hmmm, it looks as though there is no room for the motor- I checked against the service sheet for my Bachmann Butler Henderson and it appears that a blanking plate has been incorporated into the GBL model, and a lug driven down through the motor space.

DSCF2324_zps83ce1d1f.jpg

It also looks as though the splashers have been extended in-board; there is a definite lip on the off-side which compared to the Bachmann offering seems to be where the splashers have been extended.  This may be obscured on the drivers' side by the reverser lever. 

I have enquired with Bachmann as to the availability of their complete D11 chassis; if I can get hold of one I'll investigate further.  My initial suspicion is that the Bachmann chassis/ body securings have been done away with by GBL and replaced by their own idea, and this may make motorising it with a Bachmann chassis that bit more complicated than merely dropping the body onto it. 

Edited by James Harrison
  • Like 2

I'd be surprised if Bachmann actually have a complete chassis available. More likely there will be parts from it available or, seeing as it's the NRM edition, nothing at all.

I keep on enquiring about parts for the NRM ProtoDeltic. Bachmann keep on ignoring my enquiries.

I'd be surprised if Bachmann actually have a complete chassis available. More likely there will be parts from it available or, seeing as it's the NRM edition, nothing at all.

I keep on enquiring about parts for the NRM ProtoDeltic. Bachmann keep on ignoring my enquiries.

That is a possibility- but I would hope Bachmann do sell spare motor units etc. considering the D11 is in their main range.  If not, I'll look for a D49 chassis.

Managed to get 1 Butler Henderson  in Chelmsford Asdas last night, the last one. Thanks to Nile and James for the disassembly pics above. The finish is actually very good on the one I got, plus I got the binder as well.  Might go and look elsewhere for another one as I think it would look good in LNER green but really like the GC livery. .  Looks like some heavy cutting of the splashers will be needed to motorise it.

Managed to get 1 Butler Henderson  in Chelmsford Asdas last night, the last one. Thanks to Nile and James for the disassembly pics above. The finish is actually very good on the one I got, plus I got the binder as well.  Might go and look elsewhere for another one as I think it would look good in LNER green but really like the GC livery. .  Looks like some heavy cutting of the splashers will be needed to motorise it.

You can have best of both worlds livery-wise as those completed late 1922 entered service with a GCR paint scheme with LNER on the tenders.  This is how I'm planning to do mine- as LNER 5504 Jutland c.1923-24.  There's a photo in the RCTS green bible (volume 3B I believe) showing this. 

Here is Ypres so far, just transfers and handrails to go, it'll be LNER Lined black as 5505.

I want it to be at least Named and Numbered or even better visually ready for when I go to Ypres in December so unfortunately that awful chassis has to stay until I can afford a better one.

I also know its not really correct but I've kept the GCR crest on the splashers. I don't know whether to cut out the decorative splashers or leave them as they are.

post-18430-0-04894000-1411325436_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-21276800-1411325389_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-83287100-1411325376_thumb.jpg

Since these photos I've reattached the right hand coupling rod and the steps.

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 8