Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Hi.

The Modelmasters Transfers are NOT the crest and a coloured background.

They are, like most transfers, the crest on a CLEAR background.

Not quite correct.

Below is the info from the from the Lord Nelson pack

As you can see the give the option of the transfer with a clear background OR a coloured background. This is for the cabside numbers, not sure about crests, etc.

Luke

+++++++++++++

30850 Lord Nelson
No Picture Price: £9.25
Pick Plate Colour:
Red (Plus £0.60)
Black

Options for Cabside No. Decals & Background:

Waterslide (Green)
Waterslide (Clear)

Hi,

What exactly is the point of your post.

The OP was asking for help in regard to the 'Jinty' so what on earth was the point of telling him what Modelmaster do for a 'Lord Nelson'.

This hasnt offered the OP any help at all.

Regards

Very Simple. There was a discussion as to whether Model Master decals came with a clear background or a coloured background. There positions taken that it was one or the other. I provided confirmation that it can be both. The Lord Nelson was simply used as an example of one of their Identity Packs.

Luke

Thank you very much, I had a look on Flickr at jinties in that number range and they seemed to match so I went for 47289.

Smokebox numberplate applied and shed plate, I can't remember dates exactly but the shed chosen was suitable for the early crest which ill buy eventually. I do have the bunker side numbers (somewhere) and will apply them another time.

post-18430-0-17848400-1406705987_thumb.jpg

This is my second one, the first is staying as LMS 7279.

7279 will have a plasticard chassis (partially constructed already) with Bachmann wheels.

47289 will have a highlevel chassis and other suitable wheels.

Ill compare both, I know the highlevel will be far superior and will likely end up under both but I want to experiment with scratch building my own plasticard on first.

Could anyone who's built a highlevel Jinty chassis tell me hard they are to build please?

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 4

Interestingly, there was a picture of a Jinty with a very unusual headboard: "The Asperger's Flyer". Got to do that one, doubt it will be available to buy anywhere though. Be a case of trying to fix perspective of it and print it out onto photopaper, which is not the ideal choice but headboards can be reprinted as needed.

Not just applicable to the Jinty....

http://aspergerfundraiser.weebly.com/the-aspergers-flyer.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspergers-Fundraiser/224012127742940

There's quite a few head-on shots on their Facebook page that would be handy

Following my earlier post, here are 3 photos of my work in progress K3. One shows the cut needed under the boiler and another the cut at the rear of the V1/3 chassis The third is the loco as of today, still needing boiler band completed, and cruelly, showing a misaligned band and drooping handrail at the smokebox.end.Both of these are easily remedied though I'm waiting for Fox transfers to complete the boiler bands. The red/grey are Modelmaster which match the original Bachmann on the tender, and the loco numbers are HMRS. I was surprised how large the cabside numbers were when I studied the prototype photo taken at Filey.

I know this won't pass the test of some of the purists, but it's been enjoyable to put together, and I would certainly encourage those too nervous to take a knife or airbrush to expensive Hornby/Bachmann locos to use the GBL models as test beds, especially if you want what Tony Wright calls "layout locos" rather than display models. Though I hasten to add that I don't aspire to Tony' s standard- well I aspire to it but don't achieve it - For those who saw his article on converting Bachmann's K3 to a short cab RH drive version, I don't see why the GBL bodied cannot be used with a V1/3 chassis for the same purpose.

Just one caveat - unless you have a decent spares box and/or access to an inexpensive RTR chassis, the cost of wheels, motors and etched chassis kits really does mount up, so the "cheap" GBL body becomes far from a cheap project.

Next project is the Thompson K5 when I can track down a B1 body for the footplate and B1 cylinders.

p.s I've also noticed from the photo how awful the reversing lever looks. It honestly seems ok "in the flesh" but clearly needs replacing.

post-1659-0-63525400-1406711004_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-76339900-1406711131_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-00358000-1406711167_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 6

I would certainly encourage those too nervous to take a knife or airbrush to expensive Hornby/Bachmann locos to use the GBL models as test beds, especially if you want what Tony Wright calls "layout locos" rather than display models...

Worth adding that a GBL model's body makes life simpler than the Bachmann original, if the source of a cheap mechanism to power it is a split chassis model. The Bach K3 has a cast metal footplate for weight, and would require very careful insulation to prevent it shorting out the split chassis halves. Whereas there are no such problems with the all plastic GBL body.

...the thing with the medical profession, the first day of medical training they are told they are God, the creme de la creme, they are infallible ...

That used to be the training (seriously, it was what people expected of doctors in the past, 100% confidence in their godlike powers), but was phased out in the 1970s, replaced by a more reasonable approach. But the last of the 'old guard' are still working, and I can promise you that this attitude is visited on all indiscriminately.

And even the more reasonable approach that has replaced it fails to cope well with folks suffering conditions like short term memory loss, such as Alzheimer syndrome. The current crop of medics are so pumped full of patient confidentiality, that if someone with short term memory loss asks for a private consultation they get it. Leaving the poor carer (who is responsible for the patient's welfare!) with no more clue than the patient what was said in the consultation! You have to treat this as unintended comedy, otherwise you would tear your hair out.

Worth adding that a GBL model's body makes life simpler than the Bachmann original, if the source of a cheap mechanism to power it is a split chassis model. The Bach K3 has a cast metal footplate for weight, and would require very careful insulation to prevent it shorting out the split chassis halves. Whereas there are no such problems with the all plastic GBL body.

That used to be the training (seriously, it was what people expected of doctors in the past, 100% confidence in their godlike powers), but was phased out in the 1970s, replaced by a more reasonable approach. But the last of the 'old guard' are still working, and I can promise you that this attitude is visited on all indiscriminately.

And even the more reasonable approach that has replaced it fails to cope well with folks suffering conditions like short term memory loss, such as Alzheimer syndrome. The current crop of medics are so pumped full of patient confidentiality, that if someone with short term memory loss asks for a private consultation they get it. Leaving the poor carer (who is responsible for the patient's welfare!) with no more clue than the patient what was said in the consultation! You have to treat this as unintended comedy, otherwise you would tear your hair out.

Patient confidentiality is only used when it suits them or to evade dealing with complaints of malpractice. After objecting to a student being present at a private consultation (after telling them in advance that no students should be present or allowed near my medical records, I was abused by a vile, indian doctor. I am sick of the NHS.

Anyway, back to GBL stuff (but something that sickened me all the same)...

As we have seen, customer service from the magazine company is utter crap. I ordered two 9Fs from them, one was sent which my wife collected this morning. Cylinders and valve gear missing as will be seen from the picture (the model above is also a GBL one which I repainted the wheels and valve gear, otherwise unaltered.  Let's see what these useless trolls at customer service do about this..

post-23118-0-44438800-1406826932_thumb.jpg

John, are you dealing with them via email? I found them to be very quick at replying and helpful.

I am dealing with them by e-mail. At first they seemed on the ball and as you say, pretty quick however I think they must have reduced the amount of staff allocated to deal with GBL matters, from what I gather, many bit parts have a sudden drop in custom after the first few issues and so to reduce costs, they probably did away with staff. It's not as if I can pick up a telephone anymore and sort it out that way.

Unfortunately, deliberately poor customer service is a business model these days. The company my wife works for provides customer service for insurance/assurance companies. Their company has picked up many contracts due to the dissatisfaction with the customer service previously provided by Capita (aka 'Crapita' in certain parts of the media) so when it was annouced that Capita picked up some of atos work, the dread, fear and loathing of that company truely made me sick.

You seem to have been pretty fortunate with your dealings with them - which I hope comes as a great relief as it has been commented on by others that the customer service is not to to expectations one would reasonably expect. One does not expect rudeness and 'replies' regarding a merger/takeover of an insurance business when dealing with an issue surrounding a toy train! Kinda feel sorry for the people involved in the insurance companies involved if the same dim-witted individual is dealing with something probably considerably more complex than "I haven't received my parcel yet" or "my parcel is damaged/faulty item supplied". Then again, the dim-witted one probably stuggles with replies as it must be hard to type an e-mail when said individual probably thinks that shoes go on one's hands and not on one's feet...

...Unfortunately, deliberately poor customer service is a business model these days. The company my wife works for provides customer service for insurance/assurance companies. Their company has picked up many contracts due to the dissatisfaction with the customer service previously provided by Capita (aka 'Crapita' in certain parts of the media) so when it was annouced that Capita picked up some of atos work, the dread, fear and loathing of that company truely made me sick....

Don't talk to me about Crapita. They are pretty much the benchmark for aggressive contracting, making multimillions from p***-poor service. Once they've got the contract, they don't care.

I thought they all had NRM branding though strangely they are not on sale in the NRM shop.

Missed opportunity there Mr and Mrs Blogs would be more likely to buy one of these as a souvenir than a Hornby or Bachmann loco at £100 +

I can see my Tri-ang/Hornby 2P body* going in the bin and the works going under a compound.... (it will have to loose 2mm from the coupled wheelbase for a start!). I trust that they manage to get the printing straight or it will have to be in LNWR BR lined black.

*ie the one that started life as an L1. I've just dug it out and was trying to see if it could be made to look a bit more like a 2P. It appears that there is a section of boiler to remove between dome and firebox as the barrel is too long, the body sits two high on the chassis and fiddling with under-scale wheels to compensate only emphasises that the rear coupled axle is a scale 6" too far back. Unfortunately the number chosen (690) is one of the examples festooned with rivets, so an identity change is also required.

Zooming in the GBL image shows brake gear and a shade of crimson that looks identical to the old Dublo 'Atholl'. One shouldn't read too much into this with a computer image, but I once saw this described as 'wrong' (??). It  does match the paint I have, which claims to be LMS loco crimson however!

The MR, LMS and BR colours are all reputedly the same, whether described as crimson lake or maroon*  (the NRM uses the same paint for all three, but it has still been remarked that the MR shade is superior!).

*Differences can arise through paint composition, undercoat and varnish (and weathering of course).

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

I can see my Tri-ang/Hornby 2P body* .......ie the one that started life as an L1. I've just dug it out and was trying to see if it could be made to look a bit more like a 2P. It appears that there is a section of boiler to remove between dome and firebox as the barrel is too long, the body sits two high on the chassis and fiddling with under-scale wheels to compensate only emphasises that the rear coupled axle is a scale 6" too far back. ............

Don't give up on it - mine has just had chunks taken out of the body and chassis to correct the 'stretching'.

New Markits wheels, Ultrascale gearset, five-pole X04 motor and a demotorised Airfix 4F tender have transformed the L1, that I 'modified' in the 1970s, into a very believable 2P.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I know it's too early say but would anyone like to take a punt on the origins of the Compound. I would say Bachmann but don't know enough about either Hornby or Bachmanns models.

Cheers

Shane

I know it's too early say but would anyone like to take a punt on the origins of the Compound. I would say Bachmann but don't know enough about either Hornby or Bachmanns models.

Cheers

Shane

Hornby and Bachmann have made this model.

Hope its the Bachmann one.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Edited by andymac-2008
  • Like 1