Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Here are some photos first one is after the lettering has been removed with white spirit and a cotton bud. 

Second photo shows it with transfers applied and a coat of satin varnish 

Last two show it once it's been weathered.

post-5114-0-59841800-1406227010_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-63278900-1406227169_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-44844700-1406227247_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-28426900-1406227333_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I used an airbrush I had never had the confidence to use it until I tried it out on the 9F I had bought a few, I figured if I made a total mess of it its only £8.99 wasted.

I used a mixture of matt black and humbrol leather thinned with white spirit and gave the model a light spray. I painted the connecting rods with railmatch oily steel. Then sprayed the underframe with railmatch underframe dirt colour with a light spray over the bodysides. Followed by railmatch brake dust colour around the brake shoes and a light dusting on the body only a little though. 

Study photos of the real thing to give you ideas. I also watched some of the weathering dvds that are available.

• Like 4

Hi Dick,

Point taken mate!.

I will be issuing myself a Form One* later to ensure it does not happen again.

Regards

* BR Form No.1 - basically a disciplinary charge notice issued to staff stating 'you are charged with the undermentioned iregularity'.

Was always said that issue of third one resulted in the sack.

Result of following disciplinary hearing was issued on a Form Two.

Oh for a return to such better days.

In true GBL partwork - style the third one was more costly then the first two issues!  On a serious note can anyone please clarify which chassis (presuming the Bachmann one isn't available separately) from Hornby would be correct -reference numbers - please? Many thanks indeed.

In Order...(Assuming the change from Double lining to Single lining took place C1963/4 as it did for the R.259 Britannia Locos...)

Double Orange Lining. Large Late Crest. Old chassis using "Princess" top-mounted Cylinders. No Smoke Unit. 1959-1961 (Some of these would have been Black, with Red and White Lining.)

Double Orange Lining. Large Late Crest. New chassis taking custom cylinder block, top mounting with a hole for the Seuthe Smoke Unit. New "See through" wheels and fluted valve gear and rods. Magnahesion. 1961-1962

Double Orange Lining. Large Late Crest. Modified chassis (Axles in holes through the chassis block, instead of "Drop-in" Wheel and Axle assemblies) taking custom cylinder block, top mounting with a hole for the Seuthe Smoke Unit. "See through" wheels and fluted valve gear and rods. Magnahesion.1962-1963

Single Orange Lining. Large Late Crest. Modified chassis (Axles in holes through the chassis block, instead of "Drop-in" Wheel and Axle assemblies) taking custom cylinder block, top mounting with a hole for the Seuthe Smoke Unit. "See through" wheels and fluted valve gear and rods. Magnahesion.New Pattern Brass Safety Valves. 1963-1967

Single Orange Lining. Smaller Late Crest. New chassis taking custom cylinder block, top mounting still with a hole for the Seuthe Smoke Unit. Fitted with the "Jinty" size Synchrosmoke unit, with an extra long channelled outlet! "See through" wheels and fluted valve gear and rods. Magnahesion.1969-1971

Single Orange Lining. Smaller Late Crest. Chassis taking custom cylinder block, top mounting still with a hole for the Seuthe Smoke Unit. Fitted with the "Jinty" size Synchrosmoke unit, with an extra long channelled outlet!  Plated "see through" driving and Pony Truck Wheel Tyres 1972.

EDIT:

Not exactly Off Topic.....more in advance of the GBL 3MT Tank Loco.....It may be the Bachmann type.....or else....one of these!

gallery_12119_3162_37230.jpg

Well, then again GBL might make a 4MT Tank! ;)

Just for luck...

A Bachmann Jinty....

gallery_12119_3162_364928.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_357047.jpg

Hi Sarah! Fantastic cab detailing on the Bachmann Jinty, you must have some incredible patience! What's that cream coloured thing behind the driver on the final photo though?

• RMweb Gold

Hornby don`t do a 8`+8`6" chassis with 4`7"-ish wheels. The only ones at that wheel base are the 4F and the 2-6-4Ts and the wheels are too big for you.

I suspect any bashed-up Bachmann Jinties appearing on eBay as non-runners will be snapped up.

Thank you TheWeatheringMan for your excellent article on the 'Jinty' which I read before going to WHS in Clacton on Sea where they had twelve or more. Your comments allowed me to avoid any probable defects such as cab location and bumper red overspray and I've got a very nice version! I guess I'm not the only one to have noticed that whoever wrote the blurb on the 'anatomy' page, has put the sand box access hole in the side tank down as an oiling point! Bit of a gamble as to whether the model you choose to represent had them or not but it shouldn't be too difficult to represent if you should wish to!

Thanks again and kind regards,

Jock.

The GBL tank loco promised is a 4MT not a 3MT*. This could be the Bachmann model or the Dublo/Wrenn one (which was good in its day (1953) but not quite up to today's standards, though if you want something that will pull....).

*A decent 3MT would not be bad however!

Our Asda had found another two Jinties this morning apart from the three they had already, which have all gone (I must plead guilty for one!). The third one had a skew cab moulding, but has sold anyway (not to me!)

Edited by Il Grifone

Early parts were prefixed with R, something like R50/3, got some scans of Princess service sheets that predated Tri-ang number 1 with bodies carrying it on as, R758/1 for a Hymek body for instance. L & M Came around 1980 (were 'M' for merchanted goods? made by other firms?) Were N parts for when the part finished bits were being sold off when production shifted to China?

I seem to recall from reading (probably History Of Rovex) that when that computer system came in parts were given another number such as R052*040, don't know what that is from the top of my head though. Was this abandoned soon after introduction as parts lists were moved back to the front of the sheets.

I have a few gaps in my library of service sheets, especially the very early ones other than the Princess. A complete list of parts for cross reference would be handy. Was one ever made available as not everything had a service sheet for it, such as the rather Germanic-looking shunter R254/R256 that was later brought out in a few silly liveries.

Hi.

As I Have said, R. Numbers (and other reference numbers) are a subject in themselves.

I as aware of the original part references. I would think that as the number of parts used in a model increased, this became rather cumbersome, and was replaced by the separate series, with the mentioned exception of most Loco bodies, which used the model R. Number with a /1. (R.050/1 being the last Black Princess Victoria bodies, around 1974)

The first Tri-ang Service Sheet was in fact a large 6 panel wall chart, which was issued in 1954-1955. The "proper" Service Sheets being issued from November 1955.

The Wall chart had separate panels, each about the same size as the later Service Sheets. A lot ended up cut into 6 sections, with holes punched, and filed in the special ring-binders supplied by Tri-ang Railways. (Originally with 6 rings in two groups of 3)

1. Princess "Mark I Chassis and Motor" (Plunger pick-ups).

2. Princess "Mark II Chassis and Motor" (Metal wheels and wiper pick-ups, with a built in motor.

3. Princess "Mark III Chassis and Motor"  (Removable motor.).

4. "4-6-2 Walschaerts Gear" (R.54 T.C. Pacific and "MK IV" R.53 Green Princess and) and "Standard Mark IV Motor" "Replacing MK III for all Electric Motors". (2 items in one panel)

5. "0-6-0 tank Loco Chassis and Motor" R.52 "Jinty". Shows the MK III motor.

6. I don't have a section with the 6th panel. Anyone have this bit, or a whole chart?

The Parts were numbered a bit differently than later....

Examples

"150/1"  for the Mk1

"250/1" for the MkII

"350/1" for the MkIII

"152/1" for the "Jinty" (MkI)

These were the chassis frame plates at this time, with the addition of "L" or "R" for Left or Right hand parts..

Parts of the Valve Gear and the MK III and MK IV motors were given X numbers.

X24/1 - X24/6 being the valve gear and crank screw parts.

X03/1 - X03/11 being the MKIII motor parts. (X03/1 is the brush arm and brush.)

X04/1 - X04/13 being the MKIV motor parts. (X04/1 is the brush arm and brush.)

The standard X. and S. numbers were used on the November 1955 Service Sheets, so the original system was short lived.

The parts numbering system was changed C1975. (Parts Price List - Rovex Service Centre -1975)

It will be noticed that the new part numbers incorporate an R number. R.759 was the GWR "Hall" Class 4-6-0. The number obviously wasn't related to all th emodels using the part. Some wheels were numbered R.150-0000. These were used on the "B12", amongst other locos, including the "Hall"...

"When placing orders, please quote both old and new reference numbers where possible." This from the 1975 list. Obviously a transitional time.

Example:

New Ref. No. R759-0701

Old Ref. No. X.04

Mk IV Electric Motor with two-start worm

Service Sheet No.  81

Trade Price  1.08

As for a complete list of spares, I don't know of any, but the Service Dealers were sent Spare Parts List and Order Forms which were a list of the parts avaialble, together with the Trade price.

Edited by Sarahagain

John,

The smokebox/boiler/firebox is partially released by the screw situated between the centre splashers on the underneath of the footplate. However there are two tabs at the front of the rear splashers again underneath, that prevent the whole unit from sliding out.The front of the cab on mine was not secure so I was able to lift the cab front upwards and then lift the fire box up slightly and slide the unit out. This will reveal the faceplate which is stand alone.

The tank front under the boiler will also come out if not glued properly, again it is a slot and tab.

I continued to rock the cab up and down and eventually the cab broke loose, admittedly not at the designed slot and tab but along the moulded coal, so that when the cab is replaced you cannot see the join.

Hope this helps although I cannot accept any responsibility for any mishaps.

Pete

Edited by cb900f

Hi Sarah! Fantastic cab detailing on the Bachmann Jinty, you must have some incredible patience! What's that cream coloured thing behind the driver on the final photo though?

Hi, and thanks.

I dismantled the loco to paint the cab details.

The "cream coloured thing" is the back cab bulkhead/ wall.

The crew have kept the cab nice and clean!

(Was the cab inside actually painted cream on any locos?  I think it makes sense, especially in a Tank Loco Cab!)

I still have my old Tri-ang 'R52' Jinty with a large crest and red and white double lining - it was my first motorised loco after my initial clockwork birthday present! I would like to work on my GBL Jinty to turn it into a replica of the above and have as a desk top memento. As I am new at locomotive modelling (despite my advanced years!) I would be grateful if someone would advise me from where I can buy the appropriate decals - if they are available.

Many thanks in advance.

Gareth

Edited by Nighthawk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi, and thanks.

(Was the cab inside actually painted cream on any locos?  I think it makes sense, especially in a Tank Loco Cab!)

I thought the cream coloured thing was where the crew kept their butties!

Keith

• Like 1

Hi, and thanks.

The inside of many locomotive cabs were painted cream or off white and similar shades.  The LNWR, GER and NLR had light coloured cab interiors, I have always thought to reduce the heat absorption of black painted ones, though that might just be an apocryphal story that I picked up somewhere!

On a lorry like at the Bachmann announcements (nearly)post-18430-0-74195500-1406317119_thumb.jpgpost-18430-0-41025200-1406317130_thumb.jpgpost-18430-0-99027900-1406317140_thumb.jpg

This is a good use for them if you model a preserved line.

I plan on building a plasticard chassis for this one and the next one and use Bachmann wheels and rods, I plan to motorise in the future.

Rhys

• Like 5

Hi,

If we actually get to see a GBL 4MT - I think we will - it will be copied from the Bachmann version not the old Hornby Dublo.

Interested?.

Regards

The order should be 'Castle'. Compound, 4MT I believe, so the appearance of this model seems likely.

The Dublo model did seem rather long in the tooth to be copied, though the 'Rocket' has to be of Tri-ang or Kitmaster origins AFAIK.

The order as I calculated it (slightly fantasy):

Date

Locomotive

Feb 19   Mallard

March 5th   Coronation

March 19th   Flying Scotsman

April 2nd   28xx

April 16th   Schools

April 30th   9F

May 14th   Deltic

May 28th   Black 5

June 11th   City of Truro

June 25th   LNER K3

July 9th   West Country

July 23rd   Fowler 3F

August 6th   Castle

August 20th   LMS 1000

September 3rd   4MT Tank

September 17th   Locomotion

October 1st   Peak

October 15th   Butler Henderson

October 29th   45xx

November 12th   T9

Presumably the King will replace Locomotion. Whether the list will extend beyond the T9 - who knows?  

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 1

Hi Gareth,

Decals can be obtained from Modelmaster in Scotland.

Only slight issue is that decals will give correct red/grey lining rather than incorrect Triang red/white.

If this is acceptable for you its the way to go.

The Modelmaster decals are extremely high quality and easy to use - unlike some other makes.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Thank you WM. I will attempt to explore over the weekend.

Gareth

• Like 1

Thanks to darrel, my Jinty conversion is now underway. The white spirit and cotton bud worked a treat but was very hard going for me, things being as they are. The smokebox door number was the most difficult to remove for some reason - a pity my off-centred printed numberplate wasn't going in the other direction as would have been easy to put a 4 in front of it. The LMS lettering an numbering were so well applied it did feel a shame to remove them.

May have to do a photo-paper numberplate for the smokebox door but will take the oportunity to add a non-authentic destination board to the front, in the style of some of the London Suburban locos had above the bufferbeam. Once the swelling inmy hands go down, will start with the transfers.

Has anyone dismantled the body and have any tips for removing the bottom plate? I want to put in a smokebox glow thing but couldn't get it to budge. The cab was also a bit wonky with a superglue blemish rising from the bunker. Thought it was clipped in or have I got one that was "reworked in the factory" someone with less than gentle hands or interest?

I'm glad it worked for you. And happy to help

• RMweb Premium

It was bound to happen. I removed three screws and this happened.

post-6821-0-90178600-1406329086_thumb.jpg

Lots of small detail parts glued on, they seem to have put a lot of effort into this one.

• Like 6

Hi again John,

Sorry I should have added that I didnt just mean 'Jinty' numbers - anything else needed can go onto the sheet as well including Western Region smokebox numbers which were slightly bigger figures.

I always (at least) double up the image to allow for any mistakes in cutting out - I frequently cut too close to the numbers so a second plate on the print saves much nashing of teeth!.

Once cut out and fixed to loco the edges of the card need a quick touch in with a black felt pen.

Hope thats of interest.  Offer open to anyone who needs specific smokebox plates in a short time - postage costs only to cover

Regards

I was going to ask where I could get smokebox numbers from so far no one has noticed I've not changed the numbers on mine yet. Apart from the battle of Britain. And they came with the nameplates. I will pm you a list of numbers and we can sort something out.

I was really looking forward to getting a jinty when the shop that stocked them, sent them all back (just a day before I arrived, just my poor luck :() because they were closing down, so looks like eBay it is :( ah well we can't have everything on this small island of ours, keep the pictures coming tho, it really does look like a brilliant model.

The order as I calculated it (slightly fantasy):

Date

Locomotive

Feb 19   Mallard

March 5th   Coronation

March 19th   Flying Scotsman

April 2nd   28xx

April 16th   Schools

April 30th   9F

May 14th   Deltic

May 28th   Black 5

June 11th   City of Truro

June 25th   LNER K3

July 9th   West Country

July 23rd   Fowler 3F

August 6th   Castle

August 20th   LMS 1000

September 3rd   4MT Tank

September 17th   Locomotion

October 1st   Peak

October 15th   Butler Henderson

October 29th   45xx

November 12th   T9

Presumably the King will replace Locomotion. Whether the list will extend beyond the T9 - who knows?  

That's the order I make it.

Possibly 'Rocket' would be a likely replacement for 'Locomotion'? but that's my guess. They could just move all the others forward a fortnight. There's the King and J39 to fit it somewhere too (assuming the series gets that far).

I trust the 45xx is Bachmann based and not Lima (I've promised mine new bodies....)

So many trains, so little time (and money)!  :O :locomotive: :senile:

EDIT

Sorry Dick the quotation seems to have got lost in cyberspace (probably I hit the wrong key doing things in a hurry!)

Edited by Il Grifone

omis

Time will tell. Not interested in Rocket as I have the Hornby 1982 reissue, whilst I could justify a 45xx for surburban passenger duties or freight coming from Birkenhead docks, I could have gotten new Bachmann ones a few years back for around £30 but didn't bother. Another two for the swopsies list!

I made that mistake too! Unfortunately, my pension has not gone up in line with the price increases......

I do have a couple of Lima 45s..  Apart from the J50 (and the stretched 94xx), most of the Lima models have competitors.