Gaugemaster Prodigy users - your help please.

250BOB

Hi Guys,

Yesterday my pal was trying to read the address(CV1) and values for CV3 and CV4 from three different Hornby R8249 decoders he has, but with no success.  

He is using a Gaugemaster Prodigy, and he successfully can read all other decoders in his possession, i.e. lenz and TCS using this equipment.

I know that I can read those values from an R8249 of my own, using my Lenz system.

Can someone please confirm that it is possible to read those CV values on an R8249 decoder with the Gaugemaster Prodigy system.?

Thanks.......Bob.

Bob, I can only read Hornby chips using the computer interface with my prodigy, it will read them sometimes from the handset but is not consistant. I have also had problems reading gaugemaster OPTI1 chips, the new address 3 becoming anything from 162 to 195 when first read, I've had two go up in smoke and will ask Gaugemaster about this at Ally Pally next weekend, if I'm able to go, hope to be clear of a chest infection by then.

I have found the Hornby chips run well in small O gauge locos with 1833 motors, but have been a pain to get the speeds right, the computer interface helped as I could adjust the speed curves on my laptop and get them as I wanted with some trial and much error!

regards

mike g

Bob, I can only read Hornby chips using the computer interface with my prodigy, it will read them sometimes from the handset but is not consistant. I have also had problems reading gaugemaster OPTI1 chips, the new address 3 becoming anything from 162 to 195 when first read, I've had two go up in smoke and will ask Gaugemaster about this at Ally Pally next weekend, if I'm able to go, hope to be clear of a chest infection by then.

I have found the Hornby chips run well in small O gauge locos with 1833 motors, but have been a pain to get the speeds right, the computer interface helped as I could adjust the speed curves on my laptop and get them as I wanted with some trial and much error!

regards

mike g

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.......I'll pass on the info when I see my pal tomorrow.

You have a computer interface for your Prodigy, this is something my pal is very interested in.

How do you find it, and do you use the on screen controllers.?

Bob.

PS.....Hope you are feeling better soon.... we are going to Ally Pally too, going by train from Stoke on Trent.

Bob, have tried the onscreen controllers but found them a bit restrictive as I have to use the mouse/rollerball to work them, I think that if you have a touch screen then they might be easier to use. The interface is not very active as it's mainly for recording CV values or changing them. I does not work with any other software than that from Gaugemaster.

regards

mike g

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.......I'll pass on the info when I see my pal tomorrow.

You have a computer interface for your Prodigy, this is something my pal is very interested in.

How do you find it, and do you use the on screen controllers.?

Bob.

PS.....Hope you are feeling better soon.... we are going to Ally Pally too, going by train from Stoke on Trent.

Thanks for your replies Mike.

Judging by the lack of other Gaugemaster Prodigy users jumping to the defence of that operating system in this thread, I assume that they too all have the same problem in that the Prodigy does not read cv values from the Hornby R8249 decoder.

Judging by the lack of other Gaugemaster Prodigy users jumping to the defence of that operating system in this thread, I assume that they too all have the same problem in that the Prodigy does not read cv values from the Hornby R8249 decoder.

I have an MRC Prodigy Advance, and my Dad has the 'squared' version, and neither will read the basic Hornby decoder.  I think I read somewhere once that the chip is not fully NMRA compliant?  I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... but it does not change the fact that neither system will read the decoders.

I have since switched all my Hornby ones for either TCS or Digitrax...  no problems with either of those!

The R8249 should be fully compliant. The original versions of the R8215? had issues. Since they can be read with other systems it may be a combination of both the system and/or the decoder. It is possible that the decoder doesn't put out enough of an acknowlegement pulse for the Prodigy to consistently detect it (this could be an issue on either end). When attempting to read the CVs, does the loco move slightly/flash lights?

Certainly the MRC kit doesn't have the best rep over here and the operation of my Prodigy Express was sufficiently questionable that it has been relegated to the status of bench test equipment (and I confirm everything with my Lenz system).

Adrian

Certainly the MRC kit doesn't have the best rep over here and the operation of my Prodigy Express was sufficiently questionable that it has been relegated to the status of bench test equipment (and I confirm everything with my Lenz system).

Adrian

What kind of problems did you have?  I've not had any (other than reading the Hornby decoders) with mine, and I've had it for years.

Bob,

I definitely have the same problem so I suspect your assumption is correct!

Regards,

Bob.

Hi Grandad Bob

Looks like we have a couple of things in common.......firstly I am another Grandad Bob, and secondly judging from your avatar, you are a Duchess of Hamilton fan.

The guy on the left of this photo is my Dad....taken outside the paint shop in Crewe Works in 1966, just prior to despatch to Billy Butlin.

Regards..........Bob

post-21-0-02946000-1363717525_thumb.jpg

What kind of problems did you have?  I've not had any (other than reading the Hornby decoders) with mine, and I've had it for years.

It's primary problem was that it couldn't control the Lenz Silver Mini decoders in my N-scale locos. I also have problems programming/running Digitrax function-only decoders with it. Add to that a very peculiar episode when trying to run a consist that had been set up on another system and I decided that I wasn't happy with it. It is an older Express system, so the current ones may be better, but it still remains that only one of the three closest shops to me stocks MRC DCC equipment, and they don't promote or recommend it.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

Great photo - my only railway connection that I know of is my grandfather who I believe was a ticket collector at WGC for a while round about the end of WW2  

I've always been an A4 fan but when I visited the NRM for the first time a couple of years ago and took that photo I fell in love with her!!

Getting back on topic I've got the Prodigy Advance & think it's a great system. The only problems I've had is reading the CVs in Hornby decoders.

All the best,

Bob.

I have used a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2 for some years but always use Sprog 2 and a PC or laptop for programming, both on a dedicated track and on the main track. For my decoder chips, CT Elektronik, Lenz and LokPilot, the handset is too limited in its operations.  Good service from Gaugemaster who have checked the PA2 twice and replaced a faulty switch, both FOC. The other problem was caused by failing to programme multiple handsets with differing numbers, or, to be more accurate, it was caused by 'the nut on the keyboard'  :jester:

I have used a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2 for some years but always use Sprog 2 and a PC or laptop for programming, both on a dedicated track and on the main track. For my decoder chips, CT Elektronik, Lenz and LokPilot, the handset is too limited in its operations.  Good service from Gaugemaster who have checked the PA2 twice and replaced a faulty switch, both FOC. The other problem was caused by failing to programme multiple handsets with differing numbers, or, to be more accurate, it was caused by 'the nut on the keyboard'  :jester:

Bob,

I'm not the Prodigy user here,  so just help me understand.....there is a Prodigy, then there is a Prodigy Advance 2..is that right.?

What is the difference, and is it a software upgrade you can have done to the Prodigy.?

I note Gaugemaster do a computer interface for between £40/£50.........my pal is considering getting it primarily to use the two on screen throttles, but also to do the decoder reading and setting etc.,

What is the Sprog, and what sort of cost is it.?  Of course I assume this wont give the throttles he wants.??

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.......Bob.

.....so just help me understand.....there is a Prodigy, then there is a Prodigy Advance 2..is that right.?

What is the difference, and is it a software upgrade you can have done to the Prodigy.?

The Prodigy was a much older MRC system, introduced in the 1990's and long discontinued.

It has never been sold in the UK. 

The Prodigy Advance was introduced something like 9 years ago (2004 ?).

This was later also sold in the UK, re-badged as a Gaugemaster product.

The Prodigy Advance2 (Squared) replaced it in, I think late 2007 ???.

This is the current model and is also sold under the Gaugemaster brand in the UK.

The Squared extended the number of NMRA functions to the current full 28 (F0-28), had some "bugs" fixed and made the system fully NMRA compliant (apparently there were one or two areas where its predecessor wasn't).

**A Prodigy Advance can be upgraded to Squared standard.**

n.b. There is no such thing as a Prodigy Advance 2, as in number two, or mark 2.

There are also Prodigy Advance Wireless (wireless version of the Advance Squared) and Prodigy Express (basic, cut-down starter set) models.

Both have had minor upgrades since introduction.

A wireless conversion kit is available for the Prodigy Advance Squared.

The original Prodigy Advance can also be converted to wireless, but I believe it needs to be upgraded to Squared standard first.

MRC have just announced a new Prodigy series DCC system called the Prodigy Elite, which is due for release this year.

This a 10 amp system with a few added features.

I've no idea if Gaugemaster intend to sell this model under their own brand name?

...What is the Sprog, and what sort of cost is it.?  Of course I assume this wont give the throttles he wants.?...

Sprog is a command station/programmer with a USB and track interfaces that works with JMRI. It will give you on-screen throttles and if you have Wi-Fi devices you can have wireless throttles too. Probably more useful than the Prodigy computer interface for similar money.

Sprog is a command station/programmer with a USB and track interfaces that works with JMRI. It will give you on-screen throttles and if you have Wi-Fi devices you can have wireless throttles too. Probably more useful than the Prodigy computer interface for similar money.

Hi Suzie

Is that wireless throttles as in Touchcab on the iPhone.?

Any ideas ref cost of sprog and JMRI?

Thanks......Bob

Hi,

I would just like to say in defence of my Gaugemaster Prodigy Express system that after consideration of availability of other systems and the size of my layout that it has performed 'exactly as it says on the tin' and has been more than capable of reading decoders from Zimo, Loksound and others although I have not seen the need to use any of the Hornby types. At the risk of being ' shot down ' no system will operate 'faultlessly' but then it is usually down to 'operator error'. 

Bill.

• RMweb Premium

I also have the Prodigy Advance 2square, but do not use Hornby decoders, so am not sure where the problem lies.

Sorry. Suggest you contact Guagemaster direct, I have always found them to be very helpful.

• RMweb Premium

I have a Prodigy Advance 2. The two is meant to be small and signify the 'square' as with maths. Most software/word apps don't have the ability to let the user write it like this which is why it is usually written as it is, normal size.

Although I have the 'squared', I also have a Sprog with which I read/write to decoders via JMRI/computer when setting them up. It's far easier.

It is also ideal on it's own for someone wanting to try DCC as it provides a complete system if you don't mind using a computer screen. You can also hook up and use smart phones as wi-fi throttles if you have them as has been stated.  In general terms you can do anything with it and JMRI that you can do with the best specified DCC systems, ( I think I'm correct in saying that).

At present there is the Sprog2 with a 1 amp limit, the newer Sprog3 at 2.5 amps, and a Sprog booster, also at 2.5 amps. The Sprog2 is now about £45 plus power brick, the Sprog3/Booster £60 each + power brick.

JMRI is free open source software.

Izzy

Hi Suzie

Is that wireless throttles as in Touchcab on the iPhone.?

Any ideas ref cost of sprog and JMRI?

Thanks......Bob

I am not sure that Touchcab can be used with JMRI (only Lenz, ESU and Maerklin systems are listed as supported), but WiThrottle and Engine Driver apps are definately supported. Take a look at the Sprog website to see the range of Sprogs available, but the key pricing has been given above. JMRI is free to download, and comes bundled with the Sprog.

Click on the blue words to see the relevant websites with all the useful information.

Hi,

I would just like to say in defence of my Gaugemaster Prodigy Express system that after consideration of availability of other systems and the size of my layout that it has performed 'exactly as it says on the tin' and has been more than capable of reading decoders from Zimo, Loksound and others although I have not seen the need to use any of the Hornby types. At the risk of being ' shot down ' no system will operate 'faultlessly' but then it is usually down to 'operator error'. 

Bill.

Bill

This thread I started is not about knocking the Prodigy range.....it was about finding out what it can and cant do with certain decoders.  The fact that my pals Prodigy Advance cant read a Hornby R8247 is a limitation of the unit as compared to some others as like my Lenz system, which reads the same decoders without an issue.  So is it a downside of the Hornby decoder or the Gaugemaster Prodigy.???   But generally the system performs very well.

You may be able to help me,  another of my pals has just bought the Express version like you have.  The program track will only read decoder values when the loco is placed on the track in one direction.....turn the loco round and it wont read.  This happens with all his locos which have a spread of decoders, Lenz, TCS, Gaugemaster Optis.

We certainly dont understand this phenomena........have you experienced this.??

Bob

Archived