ย 

Walthers 41ft ballast hoppers

These Walthers 41ft ballast cars are as close as I can find to the ballast cars being used by VIA Rail on their work trains. I'm wondering what the story is here? I've been chasing a couple of three-packs of these for weeks now. I guess its a newish item, limited runs, and now all sold through? Ironically, in view of the discussions about Hornby and the 2-BIL, I found stock of the Walthers ballast cars shown on the Signalbox (Modelzone) website yesterday. I ordered two packs. Today I have a refund and a phone call to say they are out of stock and shouldn't be on the website. Anyone got any ideas where I might find them? I'd prefer a 'brown' colour scheme as it will be easier to repaint but at this point any colour at all would do.

CHRIS LEIGH

ย 

Hi Chris

If you thinking of the outside post 2 bay hoppers with a square looking discharge door, they've been made for quite a few years including CP & CN liveries. They show up on eBay from time to time. The other Canadainasable ballast hopper I can think of is the Atlas Hart type with offset sides which is pretty similar to some CP had.

All the best

Nick

Archived