Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

My thoughts are turning to couplers. I intend to run fixed rakes for most trains and as such will be coupled up to run and then not uncoupled or shunted during running however I would like the locos to all be able to shunt if I so wished so will need to fit the end of each rake and all wagons within a shuntable rake to be fitted with a coupling that works well for shunting. I would imagine that there are only really the new Dapol kadee clones or DG's that fit the bill. Does anyone have a preference as to which they think would work best for Millers Dale?

Cav

General Untility Vans of Southern design, variously named COVCARS, PMV's, or CCT's. A Maunsell development of the SE&CR van continued into BR days. The CCT had end doors, the PMV didnt. Planking differed according to when built. Some had even planks while some had a combination of plywood and unevenly planked doors.. All allocated to S.Region for maintenance but they were not restricted in movement and could operate on Restriction 'O' routes into Hastings as well as all of BR. Liveries through their lives ranged from SECR livery, SR Olive, SR Malachite, BR carmine red, BR Maroon and BR Rail blue.

The second one looks as though it's a BY (SR 4-wheel parcels brake)- there's a set of steps about half-way along its length, with what seems to be a window above.

The second one looks as though it's a BY (SR 4-wheel parcels brake)- there's a set of steps about half-way along its length, with what seems to be a window above.

i wasn't looking at the vans in the Class 31 picture, but the second van is indeed a 'Van C'  which had accomodation for a guard. Some had stoves.

If the peak line had still been open then I guess 1M25 C18.00 Manch St Pancras vans, which ran via the Hope valley, would have run that way. This train was still running in the late 80's. I use to see it go through Duffield in the early 80's. It was a class 25 turn, some times a 47, 37, peak or 31 and on a good night a class 40. Can not post links from this device but google will bring up some nice images

Some of the freights from Toton to the North west would have been candidates for your line so avoiding the busy West coast route. If you fancy a class 56 or 58 on mgr's then the Toton Garston which went via the North Staffs line would have been a possibility for the peak line. Toton Walton old junction mixed freight and Toton Elsmere coal in HEA hoppers could also have been routed that way though I do not know how long those services survived. I have seen images of them at Uttoxeter in the early 80's.

If you want speed link traffic how about the Harwich Edge Hill being diverted through millers dale after the closure of the Woodhead route. That must have had some interesting wagons on it.

Edited by islander

Hi Cav, re couplings, I will use the Dapol DUMMY Kadee lookalikes as I  wont be doing shunting on Glenfinick, but my friend uses Genuine Kadee on his N Gauge for shunting and they work, he gained experience from them on an American Layout a few years ago.

Also you can get a nice close coupling as well.

Andy

Cheers Andy, for coaching stock Im using the standard couplers modified for close coupling which works a treat but with the new couplings at each end of the rake. I've ordered some DGs to give em a try. Much cheaper than the Dapol stuff. I may well have a go with Dapol too and see which I prefer.

Cav

Islander, some of those services sound perfect. I have a train of HEAs already so will want to run those. was hoping to be able to run a 56 and a 58 so may well be justified.

Cav

Hi Cav, I haven't heard of DG's do they go into the NEM pockets the same as Dapol and where do you get them from,?

I am going to the Nottingham show next week and was going to get some more Dapols but I will look for these.

How much are DG's

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Crikey Cav, you work quick! In the time you've done that, I've filled the boiler filler and steps on a 47....top stuff, looking forward to seeing more!

The buffer silver shanks are a lovely touch too. The transfers look good now its weathered, but did you ever get anywhere with Fox? I tend to draw my own up and get them printed by someone with an ALPS printer these days. Not only much cheaper, but they're white, not yellow, I get only what I need, and there's no shuffling of individual numbers on the model. Doing the front end of a Farsih EWS 66 renumber was when I decided I'd had enough of that...

jo

Edited by ewsjo

Hi Cav, I haven't heard of DG's do they go into the NEM pockets the same as Dapol and where do you get them from,?

I am going to the Nottingham show next week and was going to get some more Dapols but I will look for these.

How much are DG's

Andy

No Andy they dont go into the nems they are a brass etch fold up type commonly used by the 2mm modellers. They are very discrete and work well but you have to make them up yourself. The cost about a fiver for 8 pairs.

Cheers for the compliments Jo Im really happy with how the 47 came out appart from the numbersets but lesson learned. Fox never got back to me. I would love to be able to use fully made up numbersets but I dont know anyone with an ALPS printer.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

Although I'm not a 2mm modeller, I am following with interest.

A great setting for a model. We visited the area a few years ago and very stunning.

Looking forward to seeing progress and seeing scale length trains running through the scene.

One of the things that put me off 2mm / N are the couplings, but you going to address this issue, so will be interesting to see how you get on.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav, been following this with interest as I'm modelling Bakewell station, further up the line from you, although I'm doing it in 00 and 1950s - 60s period.

I think it's a brilliant idea to do "what-if" about the line staying open, I only wish it were true.

Cracking job so far, mate, keep it up!

Cheers,

Al.

Hi Cav, looks like a brilliant idea for a layout. I am doing a 4mm layout set around Hindlow and Dowlow in the 1989-91 late Speedlink period and am slowly building my layout. Stockwise you could look to recreate a Peak Forest - Washwood Heath or Ely service using a pair of Buxton 37/5s with a rake of the N Gauge Society RMC hopper kits. To make the second slab sided design you would need to scratchbuild these to add a bit of variety. You could also throw in some of the Tiphook PIA/KPA bogie hoppers in the original white and blue livery using the Farish autoballaster wagons suitably backdated and modified. The main Farish RMC/BLI/Tilcon/Tarmac hoppers came later on after 1994 so are too late for the time period as nice as they are. A Farish class 60 in Construction or Coal sector could be used to represent the first few members of the class allocated to Buxton for stone duties.

Cement PCAs of the Vee and recent Metalair types could be used with say pairs of blue or Railfreight 20s, 31s or 37s or a single 47. General Speedlink era stock using opens and vans could be used along with some suitable stone or bulk powder wagons. The Peakstone and Tarmac PGAs could be used as a joint rake but you would need to scratchbuild the hoppers and use Farish chassis as appropriate. Other private owner wagons would also need to be scratchbuilt. A rake of MGR wagons could make up a loaded coal train running to say Fiddler's Ferry power station from the Nottingham coalfield.

Passenger stock could be class 142 and 150/1 DMUs on local services with class 156 on longer distance services like Liverpool - East Anglia that had taken over from the last of the loco hauled services in 1988. Prior to that an 47/4 on air-con Mark 2d-fs would be appropriate or even a 37/4 on air-con Mark 2b/cs.

A few ideas that might just help you I hope!

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Brilliant suggestions there, will certainly follow some of those suggestions.

The layout will be set around 1987 to allow me to run class 45s and the like plus the first locos of the sector period. I would like to do the tiphook hoppers but those autoballasters are crazy expensive. They fall just outside the timescale though so a bit of a reprieve there.

Cav

Hi Cav

Yes class 45 will look great for the setting, trundling through on long freight or passenger.

Have you looked at micro train couplings?

Will you be doing the yard as operational (hea unloading) or just storage for wagons.

Also what DMU,s will you use.

Hugh

Which yard? Behind the station? That yard will be for loading and unloading of vans for fertilizer and animal feed. It will have the old goods shed refurbished as a modern loading/unloading facility. The HEAs will be through services.

Cav

• Like 1

If its 1987 you have chosen to model then you would just about be able to use 27ton tippler opens, 21ton welded hoppers, BR/PO Presflows in block formations with 45/0s or 47s would be possible. The yard could be used to load small trainloads of local traffic like limestone or aggregates using an excavator/shovel loader directly into open box wagons like POAs.

Cheers Paul

Hi Cav, it looks like you are getting some good stock ideas, I see that Farrish have now said they are re doing the 25 in the next 18 Months and remember RATS WERE EVERYWHERE,hahahhaaa

Andy

Might be pushing it a bit for a 25. The last one was withdrawn in march 1987. I can see Im gonna have to allow for much more traffic than I had originally thought for this route!

Cav

Edited by RBE

Hi Cav,

Not wanting to overload you with more info but my Mate John Dedman's 'Freight in the 80s shows MSV hoppers in 87. I am with Andy A class 25 would be great, they were seen in the Buxton area near the end 25059 did one of the last workings hauling some 37s from the depot. I think during 87 88 some class 20s were renumbered 20/3 and  worked stone trains in the area. 

Cheers Peter.