Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Its not a major thread really. Just a question. I could leave it as the geordie but I want to do proper hadrails on the front so will need to repaint in any case. The geordie was transferred to 47411 in 1987 so could do that but the belly tanks are different!

You are 60 obsessed though!! haha

Cav

Hi Cav,

I look forward to seeing your Large Logo machine.

I have to confess that I do like them a little........one day I plan to have a model of all 100 in triple grey, does that constitute being obsessed?!!!

I am also really looking forward to Heljan’s 7mm version!!

Without turning this into a class 60 thread although this is relevant, one of my favourite photos taken in the Peak District not too far from Buxton;

MU5C6334s.jpg

A very nice part of the country and a great place to see 60sin action. It has been a couple of years since I visited, might have to venture up there soon......

A nice Farish construction 60 will look rather nice on Millers Dale!

• Like 9

How about representing the early 80's and having some quality traction on the lime stone trains as found a few miles to the south of Millers Dale at Wirksworth.

If is about time Farish produced a quality class 25 as good  their class 24's.25271wirksworth.jpg

As a nine year old there was nothing better than watching a pair of class 20’s taking a train up the branch.

I20136wirksworth.jpg

Edited by islander
  • Like 12

IVe got a copy of Through Limestone Hills that doesnt seem much use to me.....PM if ya like Cav.....

It has plans of the Midland Railway buildings and a good account of the history the route. No shots of 37/5's though..I made a model in N with my Dad around 20 years ago inspired by the route and the book. It was set in late 80's and had a quarry.  He couldn't have made a lot of the buildings without it. Sounds like a bargain Cav!

Peak rail may be a good place to ask for info too if you haven't already.

Carl

Hi Cav,

I look forward to seeing your Large Logo machine.

I have to confess that I do like them a little........one day I plan to have a model of all 100 in triple grey, does that constitute being obsessed?!!!

I am also really looking forward to Heljan’s 7mm version!!

Without turning this into a class 60 thread although this is relevant, one of my favourite photos taken in the Peak District not too far from Buxton;

MU5C6334s.jpg

A very nice part of the country and a great place to see 60sin action. It has been a couple of years since I visited, might have to venture up there soon......

A nice Farish construction 60 will look rather nice on Millers Dale!

I'm considering the 60 angle after that photo. Pretty representative of the layout I reckon.

Don't forget you need trap points at both ends of the up/down loop.

You've abolished all the signal boxes too.

Yes I plan to add working traps at each end, I just didn't draw them in. I did take the time to make some on templot though. Quick question regarding the trap at the station end, I assume it would be on the small section of track just before the main line?

How about representing the early 80's and having some quality traction on the lime stone trains as found a few miles to the south of Millers Dale at Wirksworth.

If is about time Farish produced a quality class 25 as good  their class 24's.25271wirksworth.jpg

As a nine year old there was nothing better than watching a pair of class 20’s taking a train up the branch.

I20136wirksworth.jpg

That looks and interesting period but all a bit blue for me.

It has plans of the Midland Railway buildings and a good account of the history the route. No shots of 37/5's though..I made a model in N with my Dad around 20 years ago inspired by the route and the book. It was set in late 80's and had a quarry.  He couldn't have made a lot of the buildings without it. Sounds like a bargain Cav!

Peak rail may be a good place to ask for info too if you haven't already.

Carl

May well be worth getting then!!

Cav

• Like 1

Don't forget you need trap points at both ends of the up/down loop.

You've abolished all the signal boxes too.

Also a relavent question to anyone really. Should I be looking at semaphore signals and signal boxes too?

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Also a relavent question to anyone really. Should I be looking at semaphore signals and signal boxes too?

Cav

Depends if you fancy making semaphores (working or not) - once you've finalised your plan, post it in the signalling section and I (and others) will signal it for you. (semaphore or colour  light, whichever you choose (or a mix of both!))

Quick question regarding the trap at the station end, I assume it would be on the small section of track just before the main line?

Yes, but before the connection to the bay, probably a full trap - i.e two switches leading to nowhere, but a left hand point, a small length of rail and a buffer stop would be an equal possibility and would like nice as a new work on the old track bed.

• RMweb Gold

Cav, If you have been offered a copy of Limestone Hills grab it with both hands there're becoming rare (and expensive) these days although last time I was at Peak Rail Matlock Bill Hudson had one in stock. If you are goung to PR it's well worth a visit to the shop on Matlock station and if Bill is there, as he is most of the time, he is a mine of information.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting see you move to N gauge Cav, this is a layout I'll be keeping my eyes on for sure given your work on Outon Road. I'm vaguely familiar with the area having visited Peak Forest last year and the parents holidayed at Miller's Dale a year or two back.

As for the Farish 47s, the glue is applied to the glazing on the big flat piece below the window level. If you slide a scalpel between this area and the bodywork, parallel to the bodyside, the glue should crack. If the window doesn't fall out, a push in with a finger should knock it in. The door and cab window are one piece and once both sides are out, the windscreen should push in quite easily, both screens as one piece

Hope this helps, and as for the 60s, you know it makes sense... ;-)

jo

Some views of the (then) surviving station building on the up fast platform taken in about 1974.

The building to the left of the goods shed was demolished by 1982 and the goods shed had lost its roof too.

post-6748-0-03245800-1362085712_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-88444700-1362085747_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-84492500-1362085783_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-07837400-1362085796_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-70586400-1362085814_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-97863600-1362085895_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-38279500-1362085949_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-86105300-1362085994_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-95544700-1362086023_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-89911100-1362086036_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-88720200-1362086046_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-85651200-1362086313_thumb.jpg

A couple showing details of the subway in about 1974, filled in by 1982.

post-6748-0-71800200-1362086368_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-73659000-1362086375_thumb.jpg

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 4

May well be worth getting then!!

Cav

I forgot to mention our layout (if it's of any interest or help) appeared in the November 1997 Railway modeller. I would post some pics we took on here but they're all packed in boxes! 

Carl

Yes it will be large logo. I think I have to do the banger blue stuff too it would be rude not to. Do you think I should keep the geordie as a br blue then?

Cav

Well Cav I would have said keep it blue if that model was hard to get, but having looked at Hattons and seeing they have 10 in stock why not repaint it. Though I did notice 403 is 83 quid, 47612 in inter city liv is cheaper at 75 Quid. Now I don't know what you paid for your 403 but what about keeping 403 blue, if you want a 47/4 Generator then 417 and 418 had the same round boiler port and tanks. All you would need to do is repaint the yellow ends and remove the nameplate. You could get 477612 and repaint it into large logo. This loco has headlight and square boiler port plus different tanks, you have to remove the arials on the cab roof though.

Cheers Peter.

Interesting see you move to N gauge Cav, this is a layout I'll be keeping my eyes on for sure given your work on Outon Road. I'm vaguely familiar with the area having visited Peak Forest last year and the parents holidayed at Miller's Dale a year or two back.

As for the Farish 47s, the glue is applied to the glazing on the big flat piece below the window level. If you slide a scalpel between this area and the bodywork, parallel to the bodyside, the glue should crack. If the window doesn't fall out, a push in with a finger should knock it in. The door and cab window are one piece and once both sides are out, the windscreen should push in quite easily, both screens as one piece

Hope this helps, and as for the 60s, you know it makes sense... ;-)

jo

Thanks for the advice on window stripping, that is for the new farish/Bachmann 47 yes? As I said the glazing is exquisite and I really don't want to break it pushing it out. 4mm stuff comes out pretty easily not sure about 2mm.

Some views of the (then) surviving station building on the up fast platform taken in about 1974.

The building to the left of the goods shed was demolished by 1982 and the goods shed had lost its roof too.

attachicon.gif402.jpg

attachicon.gif102.jpg

attachicon.gif104.jpg

attachicon.gif103.jpg

attachicon.gif105.jpg

attachicon.gif006.jpg

attachicon.gif101.jpg

attachicon.gif108.jpg

attachicon.gif109.jpg

attachicon.gif110.jpg

attachicon.gif111.jpg

attachicon.gif112.jpg

A couple showing details of the subway in about 1974, filled in by 1982.

attachicon.gif001.jpg

attachicon.gif002.jpg

Cracking pictures those, where in plan on the platform was the subway btw?

Hi Cav, you have some good photos to work from for ideas.

Andy

BTW will you be popping over to Mansfield at the weekend?

Andy

I will be over sometime tomorrow yes. Are you showing there?

Well Cav I would have said keep it blue if that model was hard to get, but having looked at Hattons and seeing they have 10 in stock why not repaint it. Though I did notice 403 is 83 quid, 47612 in inter city liv is cheaper at 75 Quid. Now I don't know what you paid for your 403 but what about keeping 403 blue, if you want a 47/4 Generator then 417 and 418 had the same round boiler port and tanks. All you would need to do is repaint the yellow ends and remove the nameplate. You could get 477612 and repaint it into large logo. This loco has headlight and square boiler port plus different tanks, you have to remove the arials on the cab roof though.

Cheers Peter.

Tut tut Peter when did I ever buy anything that wasn't thrifty. I got hold of 'the geordie' for £55 which was nice. Of course the others would have been an easier conversion but £20 dearer for the privilege. I've been trawling the class 47 website and there are many many LL examples that suit, I will have to as I said fill in the boiler port as there were very few left open in LL. No biggy though. A bit of milliput and we're done. The belly tank issue was if I wanted to keep the Geordie nameplates which were transferred to 47411. I'm thinking 47459 as the mo but may change when the decals arrive haha. The BR blue idea is tempting though but I like to completely change stuff as a rule!

Cav

Glad to have you on board Bruce, I looking forward to this. I can't actually start physically on Millers Dale until you have picked up Outon Road but I have plenty I can do design and stock wise at the mo to keep me busy.

I'm a little worried about the subway now as I have added the new bay platform which means that there may not be the width of platform to fit a subway in, grr.

Cav

Edited by RBE

Thanks for the advice on window stripping, that is for the new farish/Bachmann 47 yes? As I said the glazing is exquisite and I really don't want to break it pushing it out. 4mm stuff comes out pretty easily not sure about 2mm.

Cracking pictures those, where in plan on the platform was the subway btw?

I will be over sometime tomorrow yes. Are you showing there?

Tut tut Peter when did I ever buy anything that wasn't thrifty. I got hold of 'the geordie' for £55 which was nice. Of course the others would have been an easier conversion but £20 dearer for the privilege. I've been trawling the class 47 website and there are many many LL examples that suit, I will have to as I said fill in the boiler port as there were very few left open in LL. No biggy though. A bit of milliput and we're done. The belly tank issue was if I wanted to keep the Geordie nameplates which were transferred to 47411. I'm thinking 47459 as the mo but may change when the decals arrive haha. The BR blue idea is tempting though but I like to completely change stuff as a rule!

Cav

No worries Cav,

Don't blame you for looking out for the bargins, I hate paying full price myself, although if I can save myself a repaint I will. 

I am sure you will find another cheap class 47 so I am sure a banger blue one will appear on Millers Dale at some point.

Cheers Pete. 

• RMweb Premium

Cav

Yep that's for the newer Bachmann model. Concept wise all the newer models are the same, just 47 and 60 have more 'below the windows' because of the locating holes for the cab interior are in the glazing. If you haven't got it out already, just spreading the body sides and wiggling should get the interior and light guides out in one unit

jo

Edited by ewsjo

Hi Coachmann, apologies I did not have access to RMWeb yesterday afternoon/evening to reply. Thanks Dave for helping by posting the link.

It is a lovely location and I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

See Cav I knew I could help......Brush action all the way! I have just added coal sector decals to my first triple grey 60, boy does she look good. I had forgotten just how nice they looked in coal.

403 looks rather nice in Blue!