Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Hi Cav

Good luck with this new venture I know it will be another cracker having seen your work on Outon road I can see a 56 with long train of mgr,s in one direction and a class 47

heading the other direction with a train of 100ton oil tanks.

Hugh

• RMweb Gold

No stock yet. Im looking for something cheap at the mo. I wanna handbuild my track so need to be getting modern N gauge stuff with RP25 wheels.

Cav

I guess you will want some FB on the mainline - so probably Easitrax from 2mm Soc. But take a look at fiNetrax (there's a thread on here) for the loop and sidings.

Hi Cav

Good luck with this new venture I know it will be another cracker having seen your work on Outon road I can see a 56 with long train of mgr,s in one direction and a class 47

heading the other direction with a train of 100ton oil tanks.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh,

The 56 on hoppers sounds good but I would be thinking more like HEA's taking nottinghamshire coal over towards the west rather than HAA's on an mgr. I would certainly like to see that on the layout though. The 47 on Tankers sounds good too. I'm gonna need about 20 roads in the fiddle at this rate!!

I guess you will want some FB on the mainline - so probably Easitrax from 2mm Soc. But take a look at fiNetrax (there's a thread on here) for the loop and sidings.

Yes Joseph I'm planning on using easitrac concrete for the main with copperclad pointwork. Waynes fiNetrax does look really good though and may well have a crack at that in the yard.

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Hi Cav, this looks good, I like the track plan and it is a decent size, Mine is 60's 70's / 80's Scottish and 5ft x 27 inches so I might need a rethink :O on the size.

Andy :sungum:  

Thanks Andy, yes I was looking at a smaller layout but in the end I couldn't fit in what I wanted so went for the design that I have. 5ft is very small!!

Cav

Really looking forward to seeing this layout develop. We go up to the Peak district at least twice a year as we love the area so much. Certainly some stunning scenery to model there. Managed to walk the entire length of the Monsal trail this year since the tunnels have been opened up. Having ended up at Millers Dale twice it certainly looks like an interesting location to model, from the impressive viaduct to the disused lime stone kilns. If its of any use I have put a link to my Smugmug site which has quite a few pic's of Millers Dale itself and other structures on the Monsal Trail.

http://marcussrailwayphotos.smugmug.com/Dis-usedRailwayWalks/Monsal-Trail/26184445_wgCvTP#!i=2177759775&k=GPqcXFS

If you do go there to do some research I thoroughly recommend the "Anglers Rest" public house. Good selection of local real ale and decent food.

Marcus

Some great pictures there Marcus, thanks for those. I went up there last weekend and did a bit of research. I will no doubt be back up there a lot more with my camera and tape. May well be worth popping in the Anglers Rest!

Cav

That plan looks really impressive mate, I think that the size is just right with that lovelly sweeping curve along the front and almost NO END CURVE,

Please can you do pics of the baseboard build as well as things like track and buildings as that is always of interest as well

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I will post the baseboard build mate as always. I always think it is very interesting to see a project go from bare boards to a fully decorated layout. Due to the undulating nature of the landscape I am planning on building the boards as a 2 level affair. I thought I'd do open frame but I'm now edging towards a flat baseboard at the lowest level and then a shaped board at the track level thats elevated from the lower board by wooden frames. I will then fill the whole scenery in around this in insulation board and carve the landscape out with a knife, bit like sculpting the landscale really. I will be able to access the underneath of the track where pointwork and signalling is through the bottom of the backscene from behind where I will have left access holes for access.

Cav

Edited by RBE

Hi Andy,

I will post the baseboard build mate as always. I always think it is very interesting to see a project go from bare boards to a fully decorated layout. Due to the undulating nature of the landscape I am planning on building the boards as a 2 level affair. I thought I'd do open frame but I'm now edging towards a flat baseboard at the lowest level and then a shaped board at the track level thats elevated from the lower board by wooden frames. I will then fill the whole scenery in around this in insulation board and carve the landscape out with a knife, bit like sculpting the landscale really. I will be able to access the underneath of the track where pointwork and signalling is through the bottom of the backscene from behind where I will have left access holes for access.

Cav

Hi Cav, does this mean that you will have two layers of baseboard at the rear  / fiddle yard?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav, This area is part of my childhood as it was the nearest mainline to home. That station bypass line should make for some interesting movements though the station. Is that why you have retained it rather than have it lifted like the other one which would have gone over the viaduct? I thought at first you were going with the original station plan until I looked at your drawing properly and saw you were doing a, allbeit modified, second station.

Have you got "Through Limestone Hills"?

Edited by Rowsley17D

Dont the 2mm society offer a re-profiling service or something similar? Cheers Jim

Ah, Now thats something I did wonder about, being at the stage of messing around with kits and RTR and not having a permanent layout YET.

The cost of converting a fair stock of Speedlink stock, coaches, and locos is what has me worried.

Mark

Hi Jonathan,

The plan is for a rationalised station plan based on the station as it was in the 60's but as time passed only the two newer(?) platform faces remained. Instead of the two lower platforms (the northbound I believe when in service) I've envisaged the lines lifted and left as a single passing loop to enable passenger trains to pass the slower freight trains in the area. With the demolition of the two lower platforms a new bay has been made as a back face to the now northbound platform to allow for the Buxton shuttle service (and possibly stabled train locos for the yard) to be kept out of the way of looped freight.

I dont have "Through Limestone Hills". Is it worth getting?

Cav

Hi Mate, i know iv had a pre design stage look and i have to say im really excited about this project, also at the fact of having to get some N gauge stock to run on it to, you didnt think i was going to miss out on playing on this one too did you hahahaha

Looks really good mate and it flows really well.

nice one mate

• Like 1

You are very welcome to get some stock mate. You will of course be a member of the Millers Dale crew now. I got my first item in the post today, a farish 'The Geordie' class 47 which I will be converting and repainting but it is really nice, better than its 4mm counterpart in some ways I think.

Cav

I will indeed Peter, I've had it apart already and it looks to be pretty straight forward to strip. The cab glazing is my biggest worry, I'm not sure how well they are glued in and I dont want to break them as they are excellent. I may well just use the Bachmann/farish blue for the blue portion and just repaint the roof and cab ends though. I will need to fill the roof boiler port add a HI headlight and replace the moulded on handrails at the front with some wire examples.

Cav

I will indeed Peter, I've had it apart already and it looks to be pretty straight forward to strip. The cab glazing is my biggest worry, I'm not sure how well they are glued in and I dont want to break them as they are excellent. I may well just use the Bachmann/farish blue for the blue portion and just repaint the roof and cab ends though. I will need to fill the roof boiler port add a HI headlight and replace the moulded on handrails at the front with some wire examples.

Cav

saw your post in the large logo 47 thread so I am guessing thats your plan. Are you going to do a few banger blue ones as well?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Cav, Why Aye Man you have to leave it as the Geordie!

I like your idea of a time clock for a year. Like you I would like to model 1988 to accommodate the last few months of the Peaks but also the 1990,1991 and 1992 to have new class 60s along side older traction. I am planning to have a few locos which will be suitable for both periods as well as those for just 1988 or 1990/91/92.

I haven't visited the Large Logo thread, that is where I am now off to.......