Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

I agree. But its a means to an end. I found myself way too bored trying to just t cut it off so resorted to sanding!

A new arrival in camp. I'll do a step by step on this one if anyones interested. She'll end up as a br blue 31/4 destined for the parcels sector!

attachicon.gif20141029_205308.jpg

31s used to be regular on Liverpool to Sheffield/Hull/Cleethorpes until 1988 via the Hope Valley. All blue ones on 4 mk1s or mk2s.

Nice work on the Mk2 Cav. I'll keep an eye on your 31 - I suppose I'd better pull my finger out with mine and get it finished!

jo

Ive been watching yours Jo. Its coming together well. I wont need to add a many extra bits and bobs to the front of mine but I will be going all out detail wise. Certainly trying to offset the asking price of the new tooled one.

31s used to be regular on Liverpool to Sheffield/Hull/Cleethorpes until 1988 via the Hope Valley. All blue ones on 4 mk1s or mk2s.

Yes the parcels sector blue ones at the end on the 80s were often found on scheduled passenger turns. I will certainly be running mine on the Nottingham - Manchester Victoria I plan to add to the timetable.

Indeed. Thats why I aint using em. You were right with Rapido though. Elsie was pecos version and is slightly different as they only moved upwards without a return spring.

Edited by RBE

Look forward to see how you do the 31 I'm quite a fan of your loco's and your viaduct for that matter .

Just wondering have I seen you have a 45 with a flush front in Blue? and if so how did you do it I'd love one for my coal workings on Barnsley Central but I can't see them doing one for a while .

Saying that I'm waiting for the new tooled 31's I need a pair for my MGR's but seeing how you do yours might tempt me to have a go at one of the older tooled ones but at the moment wouldn't no where to start .

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Brian. I do have a refurbed 45 yes its probably my fav.

post-6894-0-79213600-1414695406_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-59717200-1414695276_thumb.jpg

It was a complete conversion on my part from the 45114 model. It involved filling in the headcode boxes and then drilling out markers. I then warmed the ends of some optical fibres to round them off a little and glued them in the holes before doing the yellow coat. I put a dot of maskol on them so that they had a clear centre with a yellow rim. There are few more mods including the bogies being narrowed. Looks the bomb and still goes around 2nd rad curves. I was holding out for the new tooled class 31 but it isnt a refurbed version in any case which I need for MD. Im sure a very good model can be made from the old one as the body shape is still very good.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 6

Thanks Brian. I do have a refurbed 45 yes its probably my fav.

attachicon.gif20131106_224319.jpg

attachicon.gif20131106_224152.jpg

It was a complete conversion in my part from the 45114 model. It involved filling on the headcode boxes and then drilling out markers. I then warmed the ends of some optical fibres to round them off a little and glued them in the holes before doing the yellow coat. I put a dot of maskol on them so that they had a clear centre with a yellow rim. There are few more mods including the bogies being narrowed. Looks the bomb and still goes around 2nd rad curves. I was holding out for the new tooled class 31 but it isnt a refurbed version in any case which I need for MD. Im sure a very good model can be made from the old one as the body shape is still very good.

Excellent

Tinners Medusa - lovely work Cavan.

Looking for the multiple "like" button :D

Ian

Great looking loco ,great work

I need one for my half length MGR's that ran from dodworth pit to Barnsley junction

Wish I had the b#lls to have a go at one but not confident with loco's at the moment

I did think about doing one and had a 45 ,i did read somewhere someone had done one with a class 47 marker light kit and thought about having a go at that but chickened out and ended up getting rid of the 45 due to it not being DCC ready which is something else I daren't touch DCC conversions lol

Hopefully the 31's will come out next year and I can get a couple ,the last one I had was a Lima one which was poor

I look forward to the 31 and the restart of millersdale

I have been dropping in to see how your doing and sorry to hear your lack of time and mojo ,I once went a year before touching Barnsley Central due to kids,work and general life getting in the way ,now a days I get a more sporadic lack of mojo lol I'll not wont to do anything for weeks then all of a sudden I'm back building and I'll do loads then nothing again lol

I've got to say I like the way your making a history and a working diagram (I think that's what they call it ) for trains that would have ran

for me the research is the most enjoyable part of modelrailways

Thanks

Brian

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 1

Yeah I love to have a history for any line that I do (model). I find the research very interesting and tbh I find getting into the layout or running it hard unless I know the background to the location and the justification of running certain services. MD is a bit unique in that respect as its a real place that has to be run with very real services that didnt actually exist. You have to get your head into an alternate universe that split off from ours in 1967 and then fast forward 20 years to run likely services over the metals. Very intruiging I find. The route map turned out lovely amd I shall make it part of the layout display I think. I will also be timetabling passenger services. I would do freight too but Im just naming the services there and fitting them in between the passenger runs at shows. Im really keen to get the layout nailed next year. Two self employed parents with 3 kids, one being only 18 months old now isnt the best combination to layout progress!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Yeah I love to have a history for any line that I do (model). I find the research very interesting and tbh I find getting into the layout or running it hard unless I know the background to the location and the justification of running certain services. MD is a bit unique in that respect as its a real place that has to be run with very real services that didnt actually exist. You have to get your head into an alternate universe that split off from ours in 1967 and then fast forward 20 years to run likely services over the metals. Very intruiging I find. The route map turned out lovely amd I shall make it part of the layout display I think. I will also be timetabling passenger services. I would do freight too but Im just naming the services there and fitting them in between the passenger runs at shows. Im really keen to get the layout nailed next year. Two self employed parents with 3 kids, one being only 18 months old now isnt the best combination to layout progress!

Like and agree with that I've 3 kids and it's a nightmare sometimes they've so much energy I don't know where they get it from lol

mines basically Barnsley but with the worsbough incline shut in the 60's but woodhead is still active so everything goes though a fictitious "Barnsley Central " station which would be somewhere around where the real stations where so I can get a decent amount of different workings

I'm looking forward to seeing MD someday at a show I normally go to ponty Wakefield and the home town show Barnsley and most shows around the area ,I saw Your last layout at pontefract and Barnsley shows

Look forward to your progress

Thanks

Brian

Good post

To keep to realtime timetables although fictional but as for obsessive attention to detail - remember Mostyn that was featured in Rail Express until a sadly missed unexpected plug pull on it.

Modelled on the N Wales Coast circa 1977 - not just 1977 but Summer 1977 to be exact.

Mk2 BR carriages loaded with shirt sleeved holidaymaker figures - attention to detail gone bonkers.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Hi Cav, I've got a retired Greyhound does that count, hahhaha when I met Dee, she had TWO sets of TWINS 15 Months apart, the Girls were 13 and the Boys almost 12, there now 48 and 50 and still a worry.

BTW The Loco looks brilliant, more pics soon I hope.

Hi Cav, loving this thread mate my favourite area and of course the stone trains with 37's wil always be my favourite freight trains :) i'm up that way quite often so if you need any pics or anything from the P.F area just ask as i have tons of fots of Buxton based traction from the 80's onwards ;)

• Like 1

Cheers Andy. Just got back some etches that Ive done, first being the decks for my 3D printed perch project, more on that thread and secondly some etched sides for my aging farish BGs. Not looking bad I dont think. The roof on the BG is just sat at the mo so will get glued down to the proper position once painted and finished!

post-6894-0-31188800-1414862236_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-38426800-1414862281_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Very kind offer Richard. Any photos that you have would be very greatfully accepted.

No worries chief, heres a couple of 37's and some other bits from up that way, not all my pics as i've been given loads off friends which i scanned on :) i've tried to only search through late 80's loco's and this is what i've come up with so hope these are of use and also show a nice mix of wagons too.

Also a shot showing an over view of Dowlow / Briggs this is a section i really like and not many tend to take pics up here! But thou its a 66 in the shot its great for modelling potential and geting the scenics bob on ;)

Cheers.

post-10797-0-96904100-1414876556_thumb.jpg

post-10797-0-16301700-1414876610_thumb.jpg

post-10797-0-98809400-1414876617.jpg

post-10797-0-12505000-1414876627.jpg

post-10797-0-82934900-1414876637.jpg

post-10797-0-67302900-1414876649.jpg

post-10797-0-72576900-1414876666_thumb.jpg

post-10797-0-19365300-1414876674_thumb.jpg

post-10797-0-40268100-1414877567_thumb.jpg

post-10797-0-10832600-1414877623.jpg

post-10797-0-80299800-1414877627_thumb.jpg

post-10797-0-65278200-1414877632_thumb.jpg

post-10797-0-05972100-1414877640_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Some lovely pictures there Richard. Particularly interested to see none refurb 37s including a distribution and a br blue example. I feel I may get myself another 37 to do in br blue which can then be pushed onto a variety of services. The pair of 37s I have are pretty stereotyped as stone haulers! Nice to see my 37 (37688) on the first pic! Some great modelling inspiration for me here. Although Im not seeing the '66' picture.

• Like 1