Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know , most freight wagons there days are only fitted with an air brake pipe , the one with the red cock. The main reservoir supply through the yellow pipe isn't really needed on freight stock as the 10 BAR supply is mainly used on passenger stock to deal with air powered sliding internal doors or air suspension bags where fitted. I'm afraid I couldn't say how many freight wagons had a main res pipe , but I can't imagine them being that common. 

Also bear in mind that some wagons were dual braked (air and vacuum) and would have been fitted with the ribbed vacuum pipe for that purpose .

I've just had a quick look at a 1984 wagon book - Ian Allan Recognition series - and they virtually all appear to be twin pipe. There is mention of a new PSA (in 1984) that has clasp brakes operated on the single pipe system.

The HAA and FGA clearly have main and res pipes either side of the hook, so they would have to crossover under the coupling - as do the PTA rotary tipplers.

The HEA and most other air-braked wagons have both pipes to the right of the hook when viewed from the end.

The dual braked wagons have three pipes, main air, res air and vacuum.

Of the current fleet, at least HTA/HHA/HXA's have twin pipes.

Going further o/t - a quick look through my own pics and there's some of the departmental wagons, including newish YSA and YRA types with twin pipes (red and yellow)

So it looks like mid 80's onwards that the single pipe system became common.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I have just looked at the HAA too and that is indeed how I've done it above with a pipe either side which need to be crossed. A HEA that I found has them all to the right of the coupler so would coupler across under the coupler as supaned has said. Whats the routing for coaching stock? Do I need to produce a coupler for every occasion or are we getting daft.

Cav

Coupler looks good to me Cav,

I think Mick is pretty much spot on, and it does go to show there is some variety between wagon types. 

I was a Shunter at Eastleigh East yard from 1989 to the 90s and all our Speedlink trains were single piped by then including the oil trains going to Fawley. Freightliner and stone trains were air and main res. I would guess alot of block trains would have been twin piped.

Passenger stock would be air and main res plus ETH cable each side a real pain to couple and uncouple especially if they had been coupled for a while.

Depends on how far you want to go re doing other couplers. having one type for everything is still going to be way better than the couplers supplied  and anything I have seen in N gauge.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks for the info Peter. I will try to have a look at further designs tonight if the baby lets me. Out of interest would people like an option that fits into standard N pockets too? Not sure if its doable but can always look.

Cav

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Peter. I will try to have a look at further designs tonight if the baby lets me. Out of interest would people like an option that fits into standard N pockets too? Not sure if its doable but can always look.

Cav

That would be extremely useful Cav

Ok so I've had another play. This time I have done a coupling for a farish HST Mk3 coach, this has a pivot block at one end that glues into the recess behind the buffer beam and is drawn as though it is printed in place on the pivot. I'm not sure that the process will do this to that fine a tolerance though so may well end up being a packer with the coupler fixed on with a separate pivot pin. The other end is a simple pivot post that will locate in a hole drilled under the adjacent coach. The other couplers are two versions of the three link type. one with two pipes and one with a single pipe both to the right of the coupling. This is for 4 wheels stock only as per my HEAs. The block is glued rigid to one wagon whilst the slot is located on a pin on the bottom of the other wagon as per my original wire design. Comments round 2!

post-6894-0-44451500-1367020144_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-98011200-1367020153_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-60691400-1367020163_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-72741200-1367020171_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 6

Cheers chaps good to see the interest in these. Heres a pic of a couple of sprues of couplers 10 couplings on each. Ive uploaded to shapeways so will order some samples soon. If all goes well I might look into standard coupler pocket/nem versions.

post-6894-0-22655600-1367144756.jpg

post-6894-0-37078000-1367144780.jpg

Cav

• Like 7

Guest bri.s

Don't know much about couplings on the real railway but yours look a lot better than the standard ones you get on n gauge models

Can't wait to see the final results

As Im not too worried about the detail level I was thinking black strong and flexible. Ive followed the guidelines on the site. Only bit Im not sure about is the peg fixing as the tolerance may be tight but as I said I may just use a bolt through there in the end if not.

Cav

Nice to see it Andrew! Ive not forgotten you peeps Ive just not done anything over the last week as I just started a new job and its taken up my time. On a brighter note now that Outon Road has moved on I will be starting Millers Dale in earnest.

Updates soon.

Cav

Nice to see it Andrew! Ive not forgotten you peeps Ive just not done anything over the last week as I just started a new job and its taken up my time. On a brighter note now that Outon Road has moved on I will be starting Millers Dale in earnest.

Updates soon.

Cav

Hi Cav, congrats on the job, I hope it is permenant and you can concentrate on MD.

I just have some small finishing touches to Glenfinick and the WATER is building up nicely with 2 coats of PVA a day, one about 10 in the Mornings and one just before bedtime so each has a full 12 hours drying time, although the one I put on this morning was a bit too thick so I have not done one this evening.

I am really looking forward to seeing the baseboards taking shape and the contours of the landfall coming together.

Will you make the Viaduct ironwork from Brass or Plasticard?

Cheers Andy

Yes the job is permanent so looking good. GF is looking good mate. Cant wait to see the water done. Im planning on getting the ply for the baseboards in the next couple of weeks. Been designing them over the last few nights. The viaducts steelwork Im planning to do in plastruct sections. It should prove strong enough once all of the trusses are glued together.

Cav

• Like 1

Thanks Peter. It shouldn't really slow progress from now on, the first week has been a bit hectic that's all. I've also been sorting out my modelling room so its currently a bit all over the place with nowhere to sit a model. I'm planning of getting that ship shape today.

Cav

Oh yes baby commitments, :O

I inherited 4, :O  YES THAT'S RIGHT FOUR :no:  teenagers all in one go, :O  TWO SETS OF TWINS :no: 15 Months apart, :O  I am glad I wasn't around 13 years before, with toweling nappies hahahhaaaa, :nono: :nono:

They have always treated me as a Dad, for help and advice and my wife say they are more like me than there real Father, enjoy them every day mate.

Andy

• Like 4