DCC Sound

hi everyone

sorry to ask some newbie questions!

if i buy a dcc ready loco or autorail, and then i buy a sound decoder seperately, does it then just plug in the normal socket? (8pin, 21pin or whatever...)

does a loco need one decoder for lights / movements etc and another one for sound?

i've seen sound decoders selling on a french website http://www.train-modelisme.com at 129 euro and wondered if this is all i need to get to convert a loco to both dcc and add the sound...

cheers

tim

Hi Tim,

The quick answer to your question is that, on the whole, the DCC chip with sound will be the only thing you need. On my N Gauge stock they are built in and they incorporate controls for lighting and the various functions in one (the chip I have is based on a Zimo decoder). 

Stephen

ok cheers thats good i only need to buy the one dcc decoder with sound then! shame they cost like £100...

i have put normal 6 pin decoders in british n gauge before but never even seen a sound decoder with speaker so it's going to be all new to me...

cheers

tim

Just make sure you get a decoder with the sounds for your correct train. Some decoders with sound fitted can be sold without the sound clips for the user to programme. I have never been tempted to programme my own recordings as I am not confident I would do it right.

If you have any difficulties send me a PM.

Stephen

Archived