Pen y Bryn

phil.c

Excellent idea! I've only ever done something like that to get the courses lined up at corners. Another idea is to sand down the sheets - a light "going over" is usually enough to make the sheets look less recognisably like a standard Wills product. 

post-4159-0-31078400-1491482178_thumb.jpg

Goods shed behind loco on right is made of untouched Wills sheets, the maltings behind is of DAS clay whilst the small warehouse at the rear on the left uses lightly sanded Wills coarse stonework.

Hope this is of interest. Lovely layout and a fascinating thread.

David C

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The larger blocks are as you mention too proud, these were also chiseled lower with my mods, but the surfaces were then re-textured.

Phil

A nice idea Phil, I've done a similar thing when mating corners of those stone sheets together by trimming and tidying the mortar lines up with a slitting disc in a Dremel then a light sanding with grade 80 Aluminium Oxide sanding paper.

You can also do that with a craft knife or a needle file, ground to a knife edge, but....have you tried re-cutting and re-shaping the stones themselves as my mod :)

Edited by phil.c

• RMweb Gold

I've used a tiny "V burring bit"  in the Dremel it melts as it goes and gives a rough finish then clean the burrs off with various tools such as V files and scalpel knives, it's a pity Wills don't do sheets with smaller stone courses on them it would save a lot of work for my poor arthritic thumbs hence my reliance of power tools.

That's another way of doing it, I use flat and knife tool gravers, which give a clean cut and carving (no melting) ...providing you can use them and know how to sharpen correctly. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a quick shot with the Station building plonked down on site...a tight fit...and I forgot to line up the pillars  :O  Also, Allan Downes cracking signal box in the distance, yet to be positioned properly and weathered etc.

New%20Station_zpssnkc4xdw.jpg

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 12