Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Hi Ray and Polly,

Good to see you both and the superb layout too as always at Hazel Grove show. It was lovely to have a natter and see the lovely detailing aspects in person again. We enjoyed trading at Hazel Grove too with the model shop and we did well in terms of profit which was superb.

I forgot to mention, I do like the sentinel shunter indeed. I didn't actually see it run but are the models smooth, slow runners for shunting? I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one for shunting around with.

Lovely to see you again,

Kind regards,

Chris :)

• Like 1

Hi Ray and Polly,

Good to see you both and the superb layout too as always at Hazel Grove show. It was lovely to have a natter and see the lovely detailing aspects in person again. We enjoyed trading at Hazel Grove too with the model shop and we did well in terms of profit which was superb.

I forgot to mention, I do like the sentinel shunter indeed. I didn't actually see it run but are the models smooth, slow runners for shunting? I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one for shunting around with.

Lovely to see you again,

Kind regards,

Hi Chris,

Yes, we had a most enjoyable time at Hazel Grove, we were well looked after and there seemed to be a good turnout on both days.

With regards to the Sentinel, which as Southern42 indicated was 'on trial' over the weekend, i can confirm that it us one of the smoothest and slow running  loco's that i have come across.

I don't have any videos of it currently but you can see it running here on Chris Nevards excellent layout 'Combwich'

or here on Brewhouse Quay.

He also did another video to test  the slow running in which it took several minutes to run 10 or so inches if i remember correctly but i couldn't find it.

If you want one, i think you need to be quick, i don't think there's many left.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 3

Hi Ray and Polly,

Thank you very much for the clips of the sentinel. It certainly looks like a superb little runner. I may have to invest in one then for use on a shunting puzzle layout!

I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves last weekend and I agree about the turnout, it was superb to see so many people and we did well on the trade stand over the weekend too.

Keep up the lovely work on CQ and I continue to watch with interest as always,

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Christmas greetings to all.on RMweb from Ray and Polly.

Photographed on Camel Quay, the china clay dust makes a good substitute for a bit of snow. 

That is the O2 in the foreground.

post-14049-0-56749400-1482540796.jpg

And Happy Modelling in 2017

Edited by southern42
  • Like 10

Christmas greetings to all.on RMweb from Ray and Polly.

Photographed on Camel Quay, the china clay dust makes a good substitute for a bit of snow. 

That is the O2 in the foreground.

attachicon.gifMerry Christmas 2016.jpg

And Happy Modelling in 2017

And the same to you and Polly, have a great Christmas, (looking forward to seeing your plans for your O gauge venture in 2017) Hahahahahaha

Edited by georgeT

Two loco's made it through the snow on the Christmas cake, 1366 class 1368 destined for CQ. The 1366's eventually replaced the Bettie Well Tanks on the Wenfordbridge mineral trains so using this as a good excuse to run them to CQ to extend the potential operating period into the 60's along with 4575 class and Bubblecar when it eventually comes out.

post-11105-0-19665500-1482792185_thumb.jpeg

The H&P Peckett will be making its way to the GWRd preservation group after a few trials (playing) on CQ.

Getting sound into both of them looks like it might be a bit of a challenge.

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

Nice! Going up to S4North?

Afraid not, our free half way stopover is not available and its a bit far to do there and back in one day. Still, I've just ordered some bits from the online stores so something to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...

Bits arrived from S4 Stores in the way of 2, 5 way Lever Frame etches. Just waiting now for a few bits of brass tube to arrive before getting into making these up.

post-11105-0-65496400-1491914683_thumb.jpg 

Although these came from the ScaleFour Society they can be used for any gauge layout. I was originally going to use the DCC Concepts Cobalt S levers but these work out a lot cheaper and look really nice when made up.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll be interested to see how you get on with them Ray.

I strung three together and have a working 15 lever frame.

I reckon that it might be possible to get some of the levers operating two (rather than one) micro switches although I didn't try that out.

Good luck.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with them Ray.

I strung three together and have a working 15 lever frame.

I reckon that it might be possible to get some of the levers operating two (rather than one) micro switches although I didn't try that out.

Good luck.

I'll be wiring them up to a NCE mini-Panel so they will operate the turnouts and signal(s) via the cab/DCC bus. This will make a self-contained lever frame that i can move between CQ and the my other NCE based layout just by plugging in a cab bus cable.

• 4 months later...

Looking forward to seeing Camel Quay at Blackburn Exhibition in just under three weeks.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Yes we are looking forward to the trip up to Blackburn. 

I have just ordered another sound decoder and speaker so a new loco should be making its first appearance into the timetable. I was also hoping the Gate Stock from Kernow would  be out in time but its looking doubtful for the beginning of September.

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

Decoder and Speaker arrived, so it was out with the mini-milling machine to make space for them in the Tender.

First of was to cut away the bottom of the Coal shoot,

post-11105-0-86141700-1503078533_thumb.jpg

and some of the Weight,

post-11105-0-14613800-1503078542_thumb.jpg

to get enough height inside for the SuperSound Hi Base Speaker.

post-11105-0-34892700-1503078559_thumb.jpg

The weight was then re-attached to the Chassis

post-11105-0-26386500-1503078577_thumb.jpg

and decoder wired up

post-11105-0-97546700-1503078588_thumb.jpg

ready for the Lid to be put back on.

post-11105-0-75692500-1503078610_thumb.jpg

Next Job is to find my bag of coal for the coal load.

Oh, and post a video.

Ray

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Two loco's made it through the snow on the Christmas cake, 1366 class 1368 destined for CQ. The 1366's eventually replaced the Bettie Well Tanks on the Wenfordbridge mineral trains so using this as a good excuse to run them to CQ to extend the potential operating period into the 60's along with 4575 class and Bubblecar when it eventually comes out.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The H&P Peckett will be making its way to the GWRd preservation group after a few trials (playing) on CQ.

Getting sound into both of them looks like it might be a bit of a challenge.

That blue one should be in the biscuit tin, not on the cake...

Well, for those of you that hadn't guessed the tender was from a West Country class loco, here's a picture of the back end of 34032 'Camelford' (just had to have that with a name like Camel Quay) showing the new 'crew' and some 'real' coal in the tender. 

post-11105-0-04973200-1503413360_thumb.jpg

Polly's said she's going to give it a 'light' weathering before the Blackburn & East Lancs show next week if she has time.

Edited by tender
  • Like 11