Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Goodness Polly,

I've made a point of looking in most nights, and each time it's like a modelling tutorial! More excellent work, and when looked at from normal viewing distance, very convincing indeed. I love the stack of old pots - it opens up all sorts of ideas for certain types of engine shed clutter using your methods.

Thanks again for sharing with us,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

...and more on the woodwork.

Assembly continues.

attachicon.gifIMG_8909.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8915.JPG

Tried in place.

attachicon.gifIMG_8922.JPG

Compost well down; garden waste spilling over the top.

attachicon.gifIMG_8939.JPG

Greenhouse and compost bin permanently grounded in; and the trail is set.

attachicon.gifIMG_8944.JPG

Just waiting for the gardener to return from lunch...

Polly,

I need something like that for my garden to keep leaves in to attract worms for when I go fishing.  Could you oblige?  :jester:

It does look the business.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the targets before the next Show is to have less things to put out and put away again afterwards.  The greenhouse was one of them.

This started out as a Bachmann Scenecraft model but was cladded out in similar fashion to the one on the embankment East of Launceston (Branch line to Padstow, Middleton Press, plate 24). I've never been entirely happy with it, especially as I'm all too aware that I've tried to make an aluminium greenhouse look like an older wooden one!  The fresh air under its base down on the allotment didn't help, either.

I had to make a decision - do I make / buy another one or do I stick with it?  I decided to stick it in place and also took the plunge to bring the greenery down and around it.  Phew!  It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.  So, another smiley face.  :yes:

Loco spotter's view from the road over the tunnel.

post-14049-0-65081500-1447931766.jpg

Engine driver's view coming out of the tunnel.

post-14049-0-85188900-1447931814.jpg

Just look at the condensation on the inside of that greenhouse!

Bird's eye view swooping down towards those summer berries.

post-14049-0-08221000-1447934024.jpg

A last little job to do, now, to improve the trail of compost before the layout is dismantled.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Goodness Polly,

I've made a point of looking in most nights, and each time it's like a modelling tutorial! More excellent work, and when looked at from normal viewing distance, very convincing indeed. I love the stack of old pots - it opens up all sorts of ideas for certain types of engine shed clutter using your methods.

Thanks again for sharing with us,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks, Jock for your kind comments.  It helps me having the pics up, too.  It's one way of remembering how I did it and finding out if it works!  It also shows that, when broken down into component parts, a lot of it is nothing more than an assembly job, if not a little fiddly at times.  I have also got into the habit of taking photos at each small stage and looking at them before carrying on - it's a very cruel way to see what's happening but it means that I can put things right as I go along.  I don't post these ones, not very often, anyway.  The joys of instant photography!

Polly,

I need something like that for my garden to keep leaves in to attract worms for when I go fishing.  Could you oblige?  :jester:

It does look the business.

Thanks, Chris, but as to the wormery...well, it's an easy job you can do yourself.

First, you need to find some old timbers rotting away somewhere...thereafter it's simply a matter of getting out the rule, saw, hammer, nails...and not being too particular....I'm sure you'll get the hang of it....  :jester:

This is all really very good.  Its giving lots of ideas and inspiration for how to male a layout come to life!

Many thanks.  I appreciate the comment as I owe so many thanks to so many others for that very same reason, and most of them on RMweb!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Jock for your kind comments.  It helps me having the pics up, too.  It's one way of remembering how I did it and finding out if it works!  It also shows that, when broken down into component parts, a lot of it is nothing more than an assembly job, if not a little fiddly at times.  I have also got into the habit of taking photos at each small stage and looking at them before carrying on - it's a very cruel way to see what's happening but it means that I can put things right as I go along.  I don't post these ones, not very often, anyway.  The joys of instant photography!

Thanks, Chris, but as to the wormery...well, it's an easy job you can do yourself.

First, you need to find some old timbers rotting away somewhere...thereafter it's simply a matter of getting out the rule, saw, hammer, nails...and not being too particular....I'm sure you'll get the hang of it....  :jester:

Many thanks.  I appreciate the comment as I owe so many thanks to so many others for that very same reason, and most of them on RMweb!

Polly,

Over the years I collected lots of useful bits of wood, 'why are you keeping that?' type.  We moved and they just had to go, no space this time although some had come with us from the house before.  Now I have just the job for them...............

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One of the targets before the next Show is to have less things to put out and put away again afterwards.  The greenhouse was one of them.

This started out as a Bachmann Scenecraft model but was cladded out in similar fashion to the one on the embankment East of Launceston (Branch line to Padstow, Middleton Press, plate 24). I've never been entirely happy with it, especially as I'm all too aware that I've tried to make an aluminium greenhouse look like an older wooden one!  The fresh air under its base down on the allotment didn't help, either.

I had to make a decision - do I make / buy another one or do I stick with it?  I decided to stick it in place and also took the plunge to bring the greenery down and around it.  Phew!  It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.  So, another smiley face.  :yes:

Loco spotter's view from the road over the tunnel.

attachicon.gifIMG_8946.JPG

Engine driver's view coming out of the tunnel.

attachicon.gifIMG_8953.JPG

Just look at the condensation on the inside of that greenhouse!

Bird's eye view swooping down towards those summer berries.

attachicon.gifIMG_8957.JPG

A last little job to do, now, to improve the trail of compost before the layout is dismantled.

Thanks for looking.

Polly,

That greenhouse now looks spot on. It really fits and has definitely moved from Al to wood! Don't tell him, but I think the blending in of the greenhouse on that last photo may mean that Ray needs to blend the track in a bit more to match.  :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

Polly and Ray,

It will be sad to see CQ going in to storage, but it does give us something to look forward to at the end of Feb!

Polly, does that mean that Great West Road will kick back in to action now?

Kind regards,

Jock.

CQ has a reprieve - Ray's expecting a new loco to try out, so it looks like it may be up for a few more days; it's Warley next weekend and he's talking sound decoders.   Once it is dismantled, the intention is to carry on the modellling for the layout.  There are still some bits and pieces to do for the quayside, high street and station.

Hopefully, I'll continue to post something on GWRd until we're in a position to put some baseboards together especially as there's an auto trailer about now and a 14xx due at some point.   Rumour has it, though I don't believe it, that the Rock and Delabole line is to have a Launceston to Rock auto trailer service as did Plymouth to Tavistock.  My guess is 1466 will be in action from 83A Newton Abbot or 83C Exeter (1961) until 1474 arrives from 71G Weymouth (1958-1960) or 81G Great West Road  (1961) ...er...hmm... shouldn't that be 81C?   :D  The service will have to connect with the Plymouth to Launceston trains (four down trains a day, reduced to 3 a day in 1961).*

*The Branch Lines of Devon: Plymouth, West & North Devon, Colin G. Maggs, 2013

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=x02IAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT25&lpg=PT25&dq=railway+auto+trailer+launceston&source=bl&ots=ygL9LB497F&sig=MyyKgjCDxOTEQODEl7yD1XV2mys&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzxdyt_Z_JAhVIRBQKHfAMBIQQ6AEIOzAF#v=onepage&q=railway%20auto%20trailer%20launceston&f=false

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

Visit to Warley today, no new loco's but was almost tempted by the new Oxford Adams Radial but will wait for the Early Emblem to be released in December. Bought two sound decoders so will be fitting them over the next few days so watch out for some video action soon.

Polly bought another load of Diecast figures so I expect she'll be busy painting shortly.

• Like 6

Polly and Ray, I'm delighted that you both seem to have enjoyed Warley so much, and without being too badly punished financially. I'm looking forward to Polly's doubtless excellent images, although I understand that the crowds and rucksacks might have made it difficult to view the layouts!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS edited as bl**dy predictive text put an 'r' in Polly for some bizarre reason!!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

Morning Polly and Ray, its been really good to catch up this morning over breakfast. The Garden and greenhouse look superb, I will need to be as creative, (or just blatantly copy Polly's work) on Trewenn and Pencarne's Gardens.

Glad you enjoyed Warley, I just couldn't do it nowadays.

• Like 3

Evening Ray and Polly,

Missed out yesterday, so only just caught up with the lovely pics and video. I've just been complimenting Andy on the smooth running on Pencarne/Trewenn and I must do the same here - although the rivet counters might not like Peco75, both you and Andy have shown just how good it can be! The railway accommodation at Hurlford 67B shed (where I lived for part of the fifties), also included a large area of allotments for those living there. If I ever get round to starting the layout I have on the drawing board, I might have to crib some of Polly's excellent ideas. I must add that my dad, whilst a driver based there, actually built a large motorcycle repair workshop on his allotment, mainly constructed from ex-G&SWR wooden mineral wagon sides from those broken up after replacement with BR 16t minerals. Perhaps that would be another idea for a model?

Look forward to the next episode, although I seem to recall that you mentioned 'hibernation' for CQ until the exhibition season starts again?

Kind regards

Jock.

• Like 2

Evening Ray and Polly,

Missed out yesterday, so only just caught up with the lovely pics and video. I've just been complimenting Andy on the smooth running on Pencarne/Trewenn and I must do the same here - although the rivet counters might not like Peco75, both you and Andy have shown just how good it can be! The railway accommodation at Hurlford 67B shed (where I lived for part of the fifties), also included a large area of allotments for those living there. If I ever get round to starting the layout I have on the drawing board, I might have to crib some of Polly's excellent ideas. I must add that my dad, whilst a driver based there, actually built a large motorcycle repair workshop on his allotment, mainly constructed from ex-G&SWR wooden mineral wagon sides from those broken up after replacement with BR 16t minerals. Perhaps that would be another idea for a model?

Look forward to the next episode, although I seem to recall that you mentioned 'hibernation' for CQ until the exhibition season starts again?

Kind regards

Jock.

Thanks for the kind comments Jock.

CQ has had a bit of a reprieve (until Christmas i expect) as I'm fitting sound decoders in the newly acquired stock and upgrading a couple of the older ones that i wasn't quite happy with. 

It's also nice just to 'have a play' without the pressure of exhibiting. Will try and get some more video action over the next few days.

Ray.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The quayside has been busy with china clay trains and is now smothered in white dust.  Easy to mistake it for snow!  But what an excuse for the yard's Santa visit, though two of the kids look more interested in the arrival of the O2.

post-14049-0-95644600-1450816834_thumb.jpg

• Like 7