Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just the incentive I need to get on with the 101 things to do.

First up, getting the wooded areas looking the part with some Noch plants.

post-14049-0-25556700-1445986372.jpg

post-14049-0-53104900-1445986396.jpg

post-14049-0-61977600-1445986417.jpg

And, following the example of Padstow, Camel Quay's platform is already resurfaced behind the platform edging stones but CQ's white line is in a bad state.  To get this effect, I tried paint, ink, and a white pencil.  The latter was absolutely useless for this job but I knew I had another one, only it turned out to be a chinagraph pencil but it did the job.  A little bit of touching up will finish it.  Looking at some photographs, the area under the canopy shows the most wear, and the vertical side of the edging stones has successive runs of paint.  With this approach, I hoped the white line would blend in unobtrusively, at least until someone with a tin of paint and a paintbrush turns up on site to do the job.

post-14049-0-09802900-1445986589.jpg

post-14049-0-16778900-1445986609.jpg

post-14049-0-43759400-1445986751.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

Lovely high quality work as always, well done,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks, Jock, kind of you to say so though it's not all as it seems.

The railway worker on the platform doesn't look too bad at a distance but a close up on camera shows how poor the painting really is.  To start to remedy this, his grease top hat and shoes have been touched up with black ink to give them the shiny look.  The post under his right foot has now been painted to blend in with the platform to help disguise that it's there as it wouldn't go right down into the hole!  I positioned the (iphone) camera so that it didn't show in the top photo.  Next job will be to improve his face, shirt and tie.  I'll have to be in a really placid, patient mood to do that one!  Next time, I'll try and get it right before sticking the figures down.

• Like 4

Hi Ray

Wow... its looking totally different since I last saw this thread and the layout in the flesh...

Great trees Polly and landscaping, can you come and landscape my garden to...lol

Ray, the station is looking excellent with its roof canopy on it...!?!

Great work

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon, I continued with a bit of forestry, adding to the foliage along the backscene.  The idea is to have two lines of sight, one that leads the eye along the top of the trees, continuing along the row of buildings and down towards the bridge, goods shed and station.  The other is to lead the eye down the decreasing height of the trees to the activity taking place on the road below, not that the observer should necessarily be aware of it but, when next you see CQ in the flesh, you can test it out!

At the other end, a lone tree on top of the hill, together with a vehicle facing inwards, redirects the eye back into the layout.  This lone tree is shorter than the station to give an impression of distance when looking from anywhere along the layout and dimension to the open countryside.  The layout is, after all, only 10ft 6in long but, hopefully, we've made it believably spacious.

It was dark when I finished today's bit so it's difficult to see if the trees look right with the room lights casting strong shadows everywhere.  I'll work on it during the week, if need be.

• Like 2

Hi Neil.

We had a good time at the exhibition (Merseyside MRE) and meet up with a few friends. Made a change from being on the other side of the fence (exhibiting) with a chance to linger. Nice to see a few Southern layouts as well, must be making a comeback.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Over the last few days, I've had a go at filling out the low relief trees to give them more body and improving the outline for different viewing and camera angles.

The first pic shows how the sight lines work.

From top to bottom:-

Track along the chimney line to emphasize the size of the hotel

Drawing the eye to the name of the Hotel

Down to the loco spotter highlighted in a mustard yellow coat

To follow the action along the road and in the shops

Or continue down the steps to the quay

post-14049-0-02214500-1446503659_thumb.jpg

The road disappears downhill in the distance and takes the eyes with it.

post-14049-0-99409600-1446505377.jpg

post-14049-0-16411900-1446505400.jpg

The tour bus stops the eyes going offscene and brings them back into the action.

post-14049-0-03896900-1446505430.jpg

post-14049-0-52675200-1446505451.jpg

Ah! You've noticed the Morris Men are out of focus?  They're dancing.  What do you expect?  :D

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Polly and Ray,

Sight lines are a feature often used by great artists but so often ignored or misunderstood by those presenting an exhibition layout,

Well done and kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks, Jock.  I've had some great art and design tutors but I've also learnt from some really great layouts.  Nonetheless, putting it in writing helps me clarify things and keeps me on track, I hope!

• Like 1

Over the last few days, I've had a go at filling out the low relief trees to give them more body and improving the outline for different viewing and camera angles.

The first pic shows how the sight lines work.

From top to bottom:-

Track along the chimney line to emphasize the size of the hotel

Drawing the eye to the name of the Hotel

Down to the loco spotter highlighted in a mustard yellow coat

To follow the action along the road and in the shops

Or continue down the steps to the quay

attachicon.gifQuayside.jpg

The road disappears downhill in the distance and takes the eyes with it.

attachicon.gifIMG_8492.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8493.JPG

The tour bus stops the eyes going offscene and brings them back into the action.

attachicon.gifIMG_8476.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8481.JPG

Ah! You've noticed the Morris Men are out of focus?  They're dancing.  What do you expect?  :D

I think that this is one of the better explanations of sight lines that I have seen, and very well timed for my current task of layout design. Thanks.

PB

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that this is one of the better explanations of sight lines that I have seen, and very well timed for my current task of layout design. Thanks.

PB

Thanks, Peter,  kind of you to say so.  One of the secrets of creating a layout is to look at it from several positions and directions, especially, IMO, from the back of the layout if that is where you are going to operate.  It is no joy seeing blank walls on the back of buildings if you are going to spend hours looking at them.  Once you start, you can have hidden dioramas or detail that can't necessarily be seen from the front.  Or use that camera to see what the view would be from the top floor of the hotel window on the backscene.  This approach can be quite revealing in that it can show up some modelling that can do with a bit of improvement, it can also add something delightful.  It keeps me on my toes, anyway.

All I can add about CQ is that the layout grew and didn't start out exactly as you see it.  It was more a matter of see how it goes and positioning as we went along from a generalised starting point.  So, for instance, we had several Bachmann low relief buildings to choose from and play around with before deciding on what you see.  Then the terrace cottages were scratchbuilt to continue the line down the hill. It was only then that I considered how to get the most out of the corner.  My method is simply to keep looking, pondering and trying something out so, if I can't see the answer to a problem straight away, I know it'll resolve itself, eventually.

Evening Polly,

The worst error I've noticed on all the many photos of layouts I've viewed since my illness prevented me from travelling to view them 'in the flesh' is the incorrect use of perspective on some examples, when blending buildings to backscenes. So many have apparently used several different vanishing points but not in a consistent way, which means that the observers eye is simply confused! Your idea of having eye-catching cameo scenes to guide the onlookers view point is superb, and one that should be given a lot of thought at the layout design stage. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Polly,

The worst error I've noticed on all the many photos of layouts I've viewed since my illness prevented me from travelling to view them 'in the flesh' is the incorrect use of perspective on some examples, when blending buildings to backscenes. So many have apparently used several different vanishing points but not in a consistent way, which means that the observers eye is simply confused! Your idea of having eye-catching cameo scenes to guide the onlookers view point is superb, and one that should be given a lot of thought at the layout design stage. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Now you know why CQ's backscene is just a hazy summer blue sky - a useful device we picked up from Chris Nevard* - and why there's ivy on the deserted goods shed as it disappears into the backscene!  The best thing about blue sky is that it is easy to keep clean - just add another coat of sky blue paint or touch-up when required.  Also, there is nothing to distract you, not unless you leave a row of greasy finger marks or trade marks/damage from leaning on the top edge.  :nono:  

Because CQ is largely seen from above, rather than at eye-level, the road behind the wall leading up from the station can be seen butting unrealistically onto the back board, so a part-scenic backscene might happen, if only to tidy things up a bit.  Likewise, behind the station buffers.  Just one of those things that needs a bit more looking and pondering...

Cameos.  CQ will be dismantled, shortly, until nearer the next exhibition, so I'll set up a series of cameos running down to the station during the week.  You never know, they may lead to some more ideas.  :D  

* I've just been on Chris' Blog and found what I've been looking for on Combwich - some clues on how to do a job down the side of the allotment shed.  I'll do this one as a stand alone piece of work and put it in place afterwards.  It'll be a lot easier.  I must remember to take some measurements before the layout comes down - I don't want to find out afterwards that I've made it too big!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

I do like your thoughts on drawing the eye to certain parts of the layout.  I also like the way the bus blocks the view along the road but it is not in limbo but it has to have stopped as the Morris Men have blocked its path.

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

I do like your thoughts on drawing the eye to certain parts of the layout.  I also like the way the bus blocks the view along the road but it is not in limbo but it has to have stopped as the Morris Men have blocked its path.

Ah....that indication is to come a little later....On my to do list.  :derisive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday and today I set up various cameos.  I photographed them late this afternoon. It was pretty dark today and although the sun eventually came out, it was so late in the afternoon I needed to put the room lights on hence the strong shadows from both ends of the layout.  Hopefully this won't be too distracting.

The pics carry on from the Morris Men leading down to the other end of CQ.  Street furniture is noticeably absent but is on the to do list, and only a few of CQ's population are out and about, today.  Although the 'Tour' bus, police car, VIP's car, and dust cart will not vary, we have a selection of other vehicles to add as the fancy takes us.

Police car positioned to protect the event but also to lead the viewer along the road .

post-14049-0-99331600-1446856249.jpg

to more activity - bakery woman checking shelves; couples dining; cleaning windows;

the ageing Poirot discussing his latest case with Inspector Japp and Hastings;

post-14049-0-31723300-1446856338.jpg

not forgetting it's bin day!

Deliveries have been collected from the station and vehicles follow up behind the dust cart to hold the viewer's attention on the road.

post-14049-0-78409500-1446856376.jpg

Or how about if the vehicles go off to the station before the next train arrives...

post-14049-0-82643100-1446856446.jpg

leading the viewer past the allotment and goods shed?

post-14049-0-91370900-1446858412.jpg

This would also make sense as the parcels service is coming in from the other end and the local bus is in the station forecourt waiting.

post-14049-0-52943900-1446857726.jpg

But wait a minute...look what's coming up the hill...just arrived from Scotland!

post-14049-0-27207100-1446858885.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday and today I set up various cameos.  I photographed them late this afternoon. It was pretty dark today and although the sun eventually came out, it was so late in the afternoon I needed to put the room lights on hence the strong shadows from both ends of the layout.  Hopefully this won't be too distracting.

The pics carry on from the Morris Men leading down to the other end of CQ.  Street furniture is noticeably absent but is on the to do list, and only a few of CQ's population are out and about, today.  Although the 'Tour' bus, police car, VIP's car, and dust cart will not vary, we have a selection of other vehicles to add as the fancy takes us.

Police car positioned to protect the event but also to lead the viewer along the road .

attachicon.gifIMG_8535.JPG

to more activity - bakery woman checking shelves; couples dining; cleaning windows;

the ageing Poirot discussing his latest case with Inspector Japp and Hastings;

attachicon.gifIMG_8540.JPG

not forgetting it's bin day!

Deliveries have been collected from the station and vehicles follow up behind the dust cart to hold the viewer's attention on the road.

attachicon.gifIMG_8542.JPG

Or how about if the vehicles go off to the station before the next train arrives...

attachicon.gifIMG_8584.JPG

leading the viewer past the allotment and goods shed?

attachicon.gifIMG_8550.JPG

This would also make sense as the parcels service is coming in from the other end and the local bus is in the station forecourt waiting.

attachicon.gifIMG_8565.JPG

But wait a minute...look what's coming up the hill...just arrived from Scotland!

attachicon.gifIMG_8590.JPG

Polly,

Should there not be more people out to look at the Morris Men, or is it just a practise or would too many people there distract from further along the road?

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

Should there not be more people out to look at the Morris Men, or is it just a practise or would too many people there distract from further along the road?

:secret: Top secret.  It's a security thing.  The special display was put on for a couple of VIPs and we were sworn to secrecy as to who they are,* although someone did spill the beans mention someone a while back; and they have been recognised at exhibitions - at least, people think they know who they are!  The school party was invited due to pressure put on the Hotel owner who is chair of the school governors and whose daughter, Ginger goes to the school.  By the way, have you noticed the new paintwork down on the station?  It's hardly surprising there's a rumour going round, that the VIPs are now on their way to catch the train especially since the shiny black car outside the hotel has gone...though I can't think how with the road blocked unless they're taking the round-a-bout scenic route out through the wood!  ...So, will it be the M7, I wonder?  :scratchhead:  I guess the Morris is carrying on until the pub opens they finish their routine.  The girls are obviously enjoying the dancing and the Hotel Doorman has come back on duty #1072 .  But I'm sure the VIPs will be back in time for the next photoshoot.  :mosking:

*Apart from that, I wouldn't want serious searchers ending up on Camel Quay for a whole load of waffle when they are only interested in their real counterparts.  So we do need to be a bit careful and considerate when having a bit of fun, even if it is inspired by real events

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This time, we'll go down the steps to the quayside.

I tried several positions along the wall for the hut and grounded coach and van .  To aid perspective, sense of distance, and to direct the eye towards incoming trains, my preferred line-up decreases in size as the depth decreases and the roofs get lower echoing the wall, road and houses.  Thus creating, in musical terms, a contrapuntal effect - two or more independent lines working harmoniously together...post-14049-0-95904600-1446894643.jpg

while figures point to imminent action along quay

post-14049-0-44046300-1446895994.jpg

and trackside...
post-14049-0-67011400-1446917684.jpg

though I think this guy could do with a haircut!

It is only the 50s, you know!  Where's the barber?

[Oh dear, the problems of painted little people when caught on camera!]

Edited by southern42
  • Like 7