Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• RMweb Premium

Just as a reminder, the whole point of adding the ivy was because my attempts at overcoming the perspective problem with a slated roof didn't materialise, so below is the completed ivy which has proved to be the better option.  I have not, up till now, anyway, seen any photos of a goods shed with ivy growing over it, so I don't know if this would have been prototypical or not.  In my defense, I shall argue that after the rail strike of 1950 and the gradual rise of goods transferred to motor vehicles, Camel Quay's goods shed fell into neglect but is now "under new management" with a new crew.

The ivy from different angles

post-14049-0-00844900-1425427996.jpg

post-14049-0-89705400-1425428025.jpg

post-14049-0-44357700-1425428070.jpg

The new crew sizing up the situation below.   As you see, the ivy has grown right along the wall.

post-14049-0-24097100-1425428111.jpg

And the early morning shift weren't too happy with my "gardening" either!

post-14049-0-59420500-1425428310.jpg

Edited by southern42
  • Like 15

Just as a reminder, the whole point of adding the ivy was because my attempts at overcoming the perspective problem with a slated roof didn't materialise, so below is the completed ivy which has proved to be the better option.  I have not, up till now, anyway, seen any photos of a goods shed with ivy growing over it, so I don't know if this would have been prototypical or not.  In my defense, I shall argue that after the rail strike of 1950 and the gradual rise of goods transferred to motor vehicles, Camel Quay's goods shed fell into neglect but is now "under new management" with a new crew.

That looks very good, but I think you need it growing up and around the chimney stack.  Ivy grows up brickwork from the ground, therefore it would have gone up the stack then flopped over onto the roof, perhaps even drape some over the front of the goods shed.  The roof slates maybe want covering with moss to give that feeling of dampness which has perhaps attracted the ivy in the first place. :scratchhead:

You could always model someone starting to cut it down if you thought it was too much.

http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/701349/middleton-arch-essex-overgrown-ivy/like/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ivy+on+shed+roof&rls=ig&biw=1920&bih=877&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Njj3VInQDKaP7AauwoGgCw&ved=0CCAQsAQ#rls=ig&tbm=isch&q=moss+on+roof+slates&imgdii=_

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And lastly, making the extra bits of ivy to bring it altogether (top and front edges).  This was less tricky than trying to stick ivy and foliage, in turn, directly onto the roof although I did most of the wall with this latter method as it already had some shrubby stuff, above the rock outcrop, which provided enough structure to indicate a wall under there - somewhere.

Recipe.  ("Tacky Glue", with its small nozzle was ideal for this.)

Sort out a few twigs from the pack of ivy.

Coat one side with PVA glue and cover with ivy leaves.

Sprinkle foliage on the back to cover the glue so that it doesn't stick to anything while it is being handled but also to bind the ivy leaves together.  (I found a mustard spoon was excellent for this.)

Ease into shape desired and leave to dry.  Add foliage to the top of the ivy leaves and leave to dry, again.

Cut to desired length if too long. 

Glue strips of ivy where required.

post-14049-0-38489200-1425487875_thumb.jpg

Hope this is of use or interest to you.  Looking forward to the next project now - getting ready for the arrival of the "garden shed" aka the "mess & tool van" - a lot of mess but can't find the tools. :D

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That looks very good, but I think you need it growing up and around the chimney stack.  Ivy grows up brickwork from the ground, therefore it would have gone up the stack then flopped over onto the roof, perhaps even drape some over the front of the goods shed.  The roof slates maybe want covering with moss to give that feeling of dampness which has perhaps attracted the ivy in the first place. :scratchhead:

You could always model someone starting to cut it down if you thought it was too much.

http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/701349/middleton-arch-essex-overgrown-ivy/like/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ivy+on+shed+roof&rls=ig&biw=1920&bih=877&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Njj3VInQDKaP7AauwoGgCw&ved=0CCAQsAQ#rls=ig&tbm=isch&q=moss+on+roof+slates&imgdii=_

My prototype "shed".  :scratchhead:

garagesmall.jpg

As you can see, CQ's ivy could be heaped up more but I was governed by the fact that this part of the goods shed roof was on a flat backscene and any higher didn't look right from the front or the dock end of the layout.  Also, as it is, I just have enough room for a ladder up the side wall between the chimney and ivy growth which is growing up (and showing signs of being stripped at the base) from the wall alongside the track.  Of course, the worker could be throwing ivy down from the chimney, so some loose stuff and remnants could be added for effect. Nice idea, that.  Thanks.  I was also thinking of putting a wagon, with open side door, at the end of the track to put the ivy in and a ground worker feeding it in.  I've tried a couple of figures on the roof, one in a sitting position but I'd need to splay the legs out to straddle the ridge, the other standing - eye-catching!

More things to sort out.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ray and Polly

Just spent today (school) going through the forum. Excellent work! I have an idea or two coming along  :nono:  :nono: I really shouldnt have ideas though I have just started purchasing items for my new layout :) which will soon have its own thread. Great work, and I definitely think you have chosen correctly with using Kadee couplers. Just change the SR theme to LNER and you have it perfected!

Cant wait to see it progress. Also, will you be at the York Railway Exhibition, as I am coming over to Britain/Europe for the term 1 holidays, and am going to the York railway exhibition on saturday the 4th of April.

All the same, great work, and I cant wait for it to progress.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Polly. Ivy has two stages firstly it is intent on climbing but having got there the mature plant produes slightly different leaves and you get the flowers and berries. The birds seem to like nesting in it.

Don

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning Ray / Polly.

Excellent modelling, really looking the part, well done cracking layout.......

georgeT

Thanks, George. All packed away at the moment while we attend to other things. 

Nice work Polly. Ivy has two stages firstly it is intent on climbing but having got there the mature plant produes slightly different leaves and you get the flowers and berries. The birds seem to like nesting in it.

Don

Ivy berries still hanging around here.  Next door's bird feeder is probably more appetizing.  :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Coming along great Ray and Polly.. :paint: :senile:

Cheers Neil.

Nothing done to the layout recently as we've been busy with house (kitchen) and garden (new shed) modifications. All packed away at present.

Still, we have an exhibition at Cleckheaton (Bradford MRE) first weekend in May so it will be coming out for a pre exhibition check shortly and maybe post a few pictures of recent acquisitions.

Ray.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Beattie Well Tank chuffing up and down the track light engine as I type.  Music to my ears!

Outing to Bradford MRE (Cleckheaton) this weekend, so if you're coming do pop by and say hello, we'd be delighted to see you.

Peeep for now.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Giving my parents a lift to Manchester airport in the morning. So it makes sense to go just that extra hour up the road to see Ray and Polly and to see what changes I can spot on CQ since Stafford.

• Like 4

Good weekend at Cleckheaton and nice to see a few RMwebbers calling by. We had a slight unscheduled change to our operation after an early failure of the T9 on Saturday morning which still needs investigating. This made for some interesting operational variations which we will probably include in future shows. This also highlighted the need for a few 'spare' loco's of which the forthcoming O2 should fulfill nicely. Hopefully fitting sound won't require such drastic measures as the BWT. (See page 16, post 420) One of the local traders at the show had an appropriately liveried T9 which we purchased to make sure we have one ready for LYDDC Manchester in two weeks time.

Many thanks to all at Bradford MRE for their friendly welcome and hospitality.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 3

Dismantled the T9 this morning and the problem was pretty obvious.

post-11105-0-71493200-1430821942.jpg

The front of the motor housing retainer casting had sheared off (It should look like the circled part in the diagram) allowing the front of the motor to raise and the worm disengage from the gearing.

Unfortunately (after a call to Hornby Spares) this is not available as a spare (hence no part number on the service sheet) which is ludicrous judging by the number of chassis for sale on eBay with the same fault. Short of a complete chassis purchase my only option is to superglue the motor in place as I don't think there's enough 'meat' in the casting to effect a strong enough repair.

If anyone has another idea please shout now.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Was good to catch up with you both on Saturday, and good to see CQ again. I only really got the one shot that I've not uploaded somewhere before, I almost missed this as it caught my eye just after I'd said goodbye as I'd not really looked at CQ from this direction before. Possibly because I've never seen it at the end of a row of layouts so can't normally get to just this position. From the end looking along the station you can see the excellent track work together with the ground signals and point rodding that make CQ one of my favourites.

post-13426-0-76968000-1430845712_thumb.jpg

Sorry there's not more worth posting, but hopefully this is one that's a little different for you as well.

Great to see you and I look forward to the next chance we get to catch up.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 14

T9 now fixed, threw away the broken motor mount and glued the motor in place. A bit drastic but it's now working better than ever especially at very slow speed. We will also be bringing into play a West-country and a few Mk1's for the LYDCC Manchester show, just needs the sound chip and kadee couplings fitting.

Ray..

Edited by tender
  • Like 9