Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Ohhhh a WC on QC, WOW Ray, which one? I need another Plymouth and Wadebridge to run specials on Whittaker St.

That'll be 34041, the one that started us down the 'Southern' route.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Popped by to visit Ray and Polly on Saturday and took a couple of photos as I went for a walk along the quay...

post-13426-0-42766800-1431940808_thumb.jpg

post-13426-0-72312900-1431940814_thumb.jpg

Hope you both enjoyed the show in Manchester, It's a good venue with all that historic transportation parked around, but it does generate a fair bit of dust!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hi All. I enjoyed the show and listening to comments from visitors which was generally most interesting and informative.

Popped by to visit Ray and Polly on Saturday and took a couple of photos as I went for a walk along the quay...

attachicon.gif20150516_143111.jpg

attachicon.gif20150516_143127.jpg

Hope you both enjoyed the show in Manchester, It's a good venue with all that historic transportation parked around, but it does generate a fair bit of dust!

Kind regards, Neil

Neil, great to see you at the show.  Love the pics of your walk along the quay but hope you didn't get too covered in china clay dust and loco ash though the quayside workers had cleaned up a bit at the start of the day.

No old buses immediately near CQ but there was a 19th century ticket printing machine right behind us.  It was of interest to me because (in 1912) it was transferred from London to Uxbridge where I used to go shopping via the bus depot.

post-14049-0-32004800-1432071125.jpg

Not sure whether this is a pic of the printing press or the remainder of CQ paraphenalia waiting to be packed into the car before heading home.

post-14049-0-29026700-1432071553.jpg

Close up of the rollers.

This isn't entirely off topic since there are at least two buses on CQ coming in from opposite directions, though one is hired out as a tour bus.  Just out of interest, I did start wondering what sort of ticket machine they used. London Transport used the Bell Punch type: http://www.classicbuses.co.uk/Tickets.html.

It appears that Southern National used Setright machines: http://www.ticketmachinewebsite.com/setrightticketmachines.htm

But back to practicalities.  CQ's Southern National Bedford OB buses need some crew, presumably in green uniform, though looking at photos in "Branch Line to Padstow" (Middleton Press), the uniform could be black as it seems quite dark.  It would also appear, from the OWB in plate no. 111, that these buses had both driver and conductor.  I also wondered how long the region was served by the OB buses since the last Bedford OBs were built in 1951, the OWB built during World War II.  Another trawl through "Branch Lines to Padstow" and there's a couple of OBs on the approach road to Camelford Station as late as 29th August 1959 which are identified as coming from Boscastle and Tintagel (plate no. 48).  Interestingly, one has a light (cream?) top half and darker (green?) lower half while the other has dark top and lighter lower half.  No doubt that mystery will be solved at some point but, at least, that's put my mind at rest on the matter of Bedford OB buses heading for Camel Quay in the late 50s.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

By 1961, I think Southern National was using more modern buses. ECW Bristols come to mind for the 413 and 133 which connected Wadebridge and Port Isaac (via different routes). OTOH the Bedford OB was still to be seen even then in the hands of private operators - Prout of Port Isaac certainly had one or more in that era.

If you can get RMwebber Gwiwer to comment, I think he will know more about Cornish buses.

• Like 1

Most Tilling company uniform was Black most of the time, sometimes with green piping. Inspectors usually had gold piping!

In the summer months you might find staff in grey short slieved jackets with green piping. That was certainly how I recall it on Lincolnshire Roadcar, when I was young, just before NBC changed everything!

I think the OB's would have lasted upto 1960 or there about. After then the Bristol SUL and some SUS's entered the Western National fleet.

I know the SUS buses were used for the Penzance - Mousehole service, no doubt SUL's or even MW's would have been seen around Padstow

Paul 4475

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A while since posting here, it's been a busy summer.

Anyway the dust sheets have been off CQ the last few days in preparation for Wigan MRE this weekend.

If your going to the show do come and say hello, even if we look in deep concentration.

We had hoped to be running a nice new O2 this weekend but it looks like it won't arrive until after the show.

Ray & Polly.

• Like 5

Hi Both, I'm looking forward to seeing you both on Sunday, I hope the Layout runs well for you, Will there be a Bulleid running this weekend?

Hi Andy.

If i can find a Kadee to replace the mega tension lock on the back of the tender (as well as finding a way to fit it).

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It was good to meet you both with Camel Quay in Wigan today: I really enjoyed the layout and for me it was 'best in show'. It has excellent scenery in which realistic railway operations happen on a regular basis to draw your gaze around the layout. I have just re-read the start of the thread to see the early days of baseboards, Kadee magnets, Peco track mods and ballasting. All the things I have been mulling over and now just need to get on with. Lots of inspiration and ideas from today but don't hold your breath, my armchair is very comfortable!

Paul.

• Like 4

Hi Ray and Polly, really good to see you both today but sorry I didn't come and say good by, we sort of left after a last quick walk around.

Also I never did find Martin Wales, so if you read this Martin, I did ask for you on several Layouts.

• Like 2

Hi Ray and Polly,

It was lovely to see Camel Quay again over the weekend at Wigan show. I saw you both last year at Warrington and the layout impressed me back then. It is an excellent read to see Camel Quay's development throughout this thread and I really liked your Sentinel shunter down by the quayside. Is this a Model Rail exclusive item?

Keep up the amazing work and hopefully see you again soon!

Chris

:)

• Like 1

Hi all.

Many thanks for the kind comments and for those saying hello at the weekend. As usual when operating the layout i don't get any time to take photos in its exhibition condition with all the bits that Polly adds. (She hasn't made up her mind where to stick some of them so they get moved around a bit) but, now we're home we've set up the layout in the living room to have a play around with some new ideas for the operation and to test the new O2 that should be arriving in the new few days. Also a new T9 that was supposed to be a spare failed after a few minutes of testing with a well known fault on the motor retaining block (see  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98918-Hornby-t9-broken-motor-housing-retainer/?p=1878806) this is now under repair. Our original T9 (as seen in the link) is working well since the repair but we thought it would be prudent to have a new spare, so much for that idea.

Will try and get together a video collection of operations for those of you who were unable to see CQ at this years exhibitions in the next few days.

Chris - the Sentinel (Model Rail) you saw at the weekend was 'on loan' from the WR. It will be replaced with another BWT once its had its sound decoder and speaker fitted.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 6

Hows things going Ray??

cheers neil..

Hi Neil.

Things are good here although we've not done much modelling over the summer. Now that the longer nights are setting in we should be getting on with the new layout we keep threatening to build. Must try and get over to Birkenhead with Jamie for a catch up.

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray and Polly,

As one of the many at Wigan I enjoyed my time looking/watching at Camel Quay working - much easier to see than at Stafford earlier in the year.  Superb layout.

Cheers, Peter BB

NB Spelling only

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2

Hi all

Well it didn't get here in time for Wigan MRE but it was worth the wait.

post-11105-0-48029000-1444313597_thumb.jpg

Fresh out of the box, Kernows Ltd Edition O2.

Sound decoder and speaker to be fitted shortly.

It will replace the M7 on the pull/push service from Camel Quay.

• Like 17