Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Hello Ray and Polly

I enjoyed meeting you both at Stafford last weekend. 

Camel Quay is a super layout and I was very impressed with it and its operation - especially the hands free shunting.   Congratulations are due  to you both.

I only hope that my efforts are ultimately half as good.

Best wishes

CC

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You mentioned that you were aware that the coaches you had weren't quite right but didn't know why.

It all depends on just how accurate you want to be. At the moment you have a Hornby Brake Third and a Brake Composite. Together they are a typical formation for the Padstow and Bodmin services. There are however variations within the prototype coaches that mean those that Hornby produce aren't 100% correct if you're modelling some of the Sets totally accurately. (I'll explain more if you wish)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I overcome the problem of Hornby not doing all the versions required by creating set #s that didn't exist. Only the most knowledgeable anorak will spot that.

In the pic shown, there is the uncommon crimson strip above the cream on one coach as well. We can hardly expect Hornby to model that. Incidentally I knew the photographer, Sid Nash, slightly. A very decent and humble sort of chap.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I overcome the problem of Hornby not doing all the versions required by creating set #s that didn't exist. Only the most knowledgeable anorak will spot that.

In the pic shown, there is the uncommon crimson strip above the cream on one coach as well. We can hardly expect Hornby to model that. Incidentally I knew the photographer, Sid Nash, slightly. A very decent and humble sort of chap.

On the plus side there's a good half dozen 2 coach Sets you can do with the variants produced by Hornby. Sods law has it though that book photos are never the easy-fits and following the anorak route means cutting in a different brass side.

Ray, is this the photo you were talking about at the Stafford show? Image 112 from Branch Lines to Padstow, Middleton Press.

attachicon.gifrps20150208_191409.jpg

Here's your Maunsell Set 23:

attachicon.gifrps20150208_191940.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150208_192025.jpg

You mentioned that you were aware that the coaches you had weren't quite right but didn't know why.

It all depends on just how accurate you want to be. At the moment you have a Hornby Brake Third and a Brake Composite. Together they are a typical formation for the Padstow and Bodmin services. There are however variations within the prototype coaches that mean those that Hornby produce aren't 100% correct if you're modelling some of the Sets totally accurately. (I'll explain more if you wish)

Hi Chris, many thanks for getting back and the chat at Stafford, and yes, that's the picture.

I thought there was something not quite right with the 2set but couldn't remember what it was, so I've just looked it up again using Mike King Illustrated History to Southern Coaches.

Assuming the set in the picture is Set 23 (nothing else makes sense) according to King that's :

6 compartment BCK 6575 Diagram 2401

6 compartment BTK 2792 Diagram 2113

The Hornby coaches are:

6 compartment BCK Diagram 2401 - ok with a bit of renumbering

6 compartment BTK Diagram 2102 - should be Diagram 2113

Not sure what the difference is between the 2102 and the 2113 but not obvious from the sketches (that I can see).

Whether anyone else will notice remains to be seen. I expect now the cats out of the bag everyone will be looking.

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ray, the vast majority of folk won't notice any difference in coach types. The Hornby Brake Composite was produced a fair while after the Brake Third and, for at least two years, our two coach Sets on Treneglos were actually two Brake Thirds but one had '1' added to a couple of doors to produce a fake composite. Nobody ever noticed.

Regarding the difference between the two coach diagrams you mention, it's mainly down to the placement and position of the corridor side windows and doors. The photo below has the etched side for a D2113 Brake Third placed over the normal Hornby D2102 Brake Third.

post-6675-0-83061400-1423435761_thumb.jpg

As the difference is mostly the corridor side you could always arrange the Set so that the 'wrong' side of the Hornby Brake Third faces away from the viewing public.

Ps, for the date of your Beattie Well Tank photo, Set 23 probably comprised of:

Brake Third to D2113 no 2792.

Brake Composite to D2401 no 6575.

PPS the 2 coach Sets you can accurately make with the standard Hornby coaches are:

25, 27, 30, 179, 180, 199 and 200.

See the list I did for SEMG:

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/maunco99.html

• Like 2

That photo of Ian's took me back to when I lived in Cornwall in the seventies and regularly sampled the 'St Austell Ales' in the 'Rashleigh Arms' (named after the founder of Charleston Harbour. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember the 'Onedin Line' being filmed there! It is so 'original' and picturesque that it has appeared in a whole list of TV programmes such as 'Moll Flanders' and Feature Films like 'Rebecca'! Once again an RMweb site has brought memories flooding back!

I look forward to the next project, having learned so much from this one. I suppose the biggest question for you Polly and Ray, is do we try to top that, or go for something completely different? I deeply regret that I have been unable to travel to see the layout 'in the flesh', but both the videos and stills posted throughout are adequate compensation. The step by step descriptions have been excellent, and the whole thing very inspiring - thank you!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

That photo of Ian's took me back to when I lived in Cornwall in the seventies and regularly sampled the 'St Austell Ales' in the 'Rashleigh Arms' (named after the founder of Charleston Harbour. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember the 'Onedin Line' being filmed there! It is so 'original' and picturesque that it has appeared in a whole list of TV programmes such as 'Moll Flanders' and Feature Films like 'Rebecca'! Once again an RMweb site has brought memories flooding back!

Jock.

post-21098-0-22246500-1423684595.jpg

Likewise! To add to your movie memorabilia, there was a memorable propaganda film shot there starring Jack Hawkins in Charlestown about a commando raid on a French port. One side of the dock portrayed the English while the other was the French/German.

Brian.

• Like 11

attachicon.gifscangirls 045.jpgLikewise! To add to your movie memorabilia, there was a memorable propaganda film shot there starring Jack Hawkins in Charlestown about a commando raid on a French port. One side of the dock portrayed the English while the other was the French/German.Brian.

Right Brian,

The film that Churchill originally wanted pulled, but was used right up to the sixties in security training! It was called 'The Next of Kin' and concentrated on the 'careless talk costs life' theme - it can be googled! It also starred Glynis Johns' father Mervyn!

The real star was of course 'Charleston' in my opinion!

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Polly and Ray - I'd no idea that it would start Ray ripping up the CQ platforms! HaHaHa!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

No problem Jock, one of our second loves is sailing and although we can't aspire to a tall ship I do love seeing pictures, or on occasions the real thing. Living near the N Wales coast we often see a tall ship or two in the summer making there way to the tall ships event at Liverpool Docks. As for the Onedin Line, we remember it well. I think we even have the DVD of the series somewhere. Polly found out that the ship used for the Charlotte Rhodes (Kathleen and May) was built in Connah's Quay along the coast from us in 1900 and was found derelict in 1998. She was restored by her new owner by 2010 for £2m.

Anyway what about the 'carnage'? All will be revealed once Polly has got her paintbrush out and added her finishing touches later today.

Ray.

• Like 5

Ray,

Thanks for that - coincidence or what: we saw the Kathleen and May at Bideford whilst visiting my son's old public school (now closed!) in the town. What an interesting tale the boat's life story is - anyone interested can find it on Wikipedia!

Looking forward to your update later!

Kind regards to you and of course, Polly,

Jock.

• Like 2

Looking back at a few pictures of the North Cornwall Railway, stations in particular, it became apparent that a lot of the stations have a water crane at the end of the platform. I never really did like the one we had in the goods siding as it wasn't really suitable for being mounted at track level.

While we were at Stafford we were fortunate to be alongside Skytrex Models who had a nice white metal water crane kit (and also a yard crane) of Southern origin. Just the thing, hence the digging up end of the platform.

So here's the new water crane in position.

post-11105-0-36543300-1423756527_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-59920200-1423756542_thumb.jpg

Polly's also been doing a bit of weathering of the canopy and Station building roofs

post-11105-0-80735400-1423756560_thumb.jpg

And the terrace houses

post-11105-0-23491700-1423756581_thumb.jpg

Just have the yard crane to add, but we're not sure the best place for it yet. The original intention was to have it on the quayside but space is a bit tight so will play around with a few positions.

Edit : Looks like someones activated the cloaking device on the dust cart. :jester:

Edited by tender
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I like the water crane Ray. Is the tiled base part of the kit, or did you scribe that? The canopy also looks superb. Will it have guttering, or does the rain simply run off. If the latter Polly can have some fun with run-off marks where it would fall!

On the dustmen picture. My eyes initially focussed on the nearer figure, on which the sack is less apparent. The way he was standing made me think he was playing football in the street as to me his right leg looks like he's just made a pass to his mate with the inside of his right foot. Then my eyes caught his mate, and the illusion was lost (rather like the ball dust cart)

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 3

I like the water crane Ray. Is the tiled base part of the kit, or did you scribe that? The canopy also looks superb. Will it have guttering, or does the rain simply run off. If the latter Polly can have some fun with run-off marks where it would fall!

On the dustmen picture. My eyes initially focussed on the nearer figure, on which the sack is less apparent. The way he was standing made me think he was playing football in the street as to me his right leg looks like he's just made a pass to his mate with the inside of his right foot. Then my eyes caught his mate, and the illusion was lost (rather like the ball dust cart)

Kind regards, Neil

Hi Neil, the tiled base comes with the kit and I think it's cast resin. I don't think the canopy had guttering so like you say an opportunity for Polly to weather the drips on the platform.

We are a bit wary of gluing the vehicles down as if they were to come adrift in transport they could do a lot of damage. So Pollys first job when the layout goes up is to populate the roads. It also allows for a bit of variation. Speaking of vehicles, a box of various BR road vehicles turned up the other day that Andy saw advertised for us in the classifieds. Another weathering job. In fact, most of the outstanding jobs on CQ now seem to involve weathering of some sort.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear you got some BR road vehicles as I know you were looking out for them in Stafford.

I like the idea of weathering the "drips on the platforms". I know a lot of people who I could describe like that  :jester:

Edited by Anotheran

Hi Ray,

As you can see from the numerous "likes" I've just posted, I've just (almost) caught up with your thread.  I was particularly interested in the early construction phase and have learnt a lot from you and the others who have posted here.  A fantastic layout and a really great and educational thread.  Your method of laying Peco code 75 track I found especially relevant to me as I am planning a new layout which I will hopefully commence in a few months time.

Regards,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At last, I'm making an effort to turn some ideas into ivy on the goods shed roof.  At least, trick the mind into believing there's a roof behind it where it (literally!) disappears into the backscene!

post-14049-0-38113300-1424910056.jpg

First, some Green Scenes Ivy on a triangular piece of black card to lie on the backscene and on some foam to lie on the top edge of the roof. Pieces are only resting on the roof at this stage.

post-14049-0-65071500-1424910395.jpg

The ivy leaves are over scale for this.  Leaves are up to 4mm wide.  Scaled up, that's a foot but they do provide a good profile.  So I concocted a foliage mix from other scenic packs to suggest more realistic sized leaves and covered the ivy with it.

I've now glued the two sections together and started to create low relief layers of ivy growth.

post-14049-0-27764600-1424910838.jpg

This end on view shows the problem I'm faced with as you look down the layout from the other end.

post-14049-0-53964200-1424911111.jpg

Additional layers are now being added to give that overgrown heaped up look which, hopefully, will disguise the problem.

post-14049-0-94300000-1424911261.jpg

It's a slow job as I check a dozen times or more before I dare glue anything but at least it's coming along now though I expect there'll be a team of workers ready to pull it all down.  :butcher:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Some photos to show progress on the goods shed.

Top and side sections.

post-14049-0-05686300-1425329399.jpg

Now joined together and sitting on roof but more work to do.

post-14049-0-60667900-1425331820.jpg

Another foam backed layer placed on top.

post-14049-0-23772100-1425331535.jpg

View along ridge to check perspective.

post-14049-0-85687900-1425332756.jpg

When the phone camera has recharged, I'll post some more.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6