Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• RMweb Premium

Ribbons are now on the Morris Men's hats but the ends dangling down their backs will need to be trimmed back. I used tacky glue this session so hopefully the ribbons will be stuck down hard by tomorrow.  Then I can add some flowers. These will hide any flaws. :mosking:

For the ribbons, I decided to carry on using strips cut from the plastic bag.  In the end, as there were 9 hats to do, I simply glued one strand round the hat to hold it in place, then tied the ends.  The real fiddly bit was getting the ends to lie down the back - more glue and persuasion. Tools included Rays fancy tweezers since my old manicure pair disappeared in the pre-Christmas tidy-up; a pointy sewing needle to align the band round the hat, and 2 cocktail sticks, one for handling the glue, the other for manipulating the ribbons.

post-14049-0-86185600-1421275165.jpgpost-14049-0-53215700-1421275677.jpg

With all the extra handling, most of the figures will need a touch up here and there.  Even the ribbon which takes my artists acrylics (vermillion in this case) - I made sure before I carried on. 

Till tomorrow, then.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Excellent detailing, knowing how fiddly these things can be....I salute you. They look gorgeous. Where did you source the figure?

Thanks, Jaz.  Kind of you to say so.

The figures are from Langley Models though I modified the hats! [Didn't I see some on your Summary of the Past Year photos?] I matched the colour with a few bits of straw that came my way (with permission) from the gardening display at the war on the railway event on the Mid-Hants last June.  So you can see, it's taken quite some time to pluck up the courage to actually get round to painting figures rather than always buying RTP ones.

The men don't look too bad life-size, but blow the images up and you can see all sorts of imperfections - I'm now looking out for a decent magnification small table-top magnifying glass and some finer brushes but I'm not prone to going out in this weather unless I really have to!  I'll have a look round at Stafford.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Polly,

They do look good.  It can be very difficult to make them look really good as you know from my thread when you magnify them too much.

I have a combined mirror and light which I got from Hobbycraft.  It is covered in paint stripes now!  :yes:   My one cost about £12 but I bought one for my son and it was a lot more as I did not realise that they had different sorts of the same make.  If you want I will look and see if I can find a link.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

They do look good.  It can be very difficult to make them look really good as you know from my thread when you magnify them too much.

I have a combined mirror and light which I got from Hobbycraft.  It is covered in paint stripes now!  :yes:   My one cost about £12 but I bought one for my son and it was a lot more as I did not realise that they had different sorts of the same make.  If you want I will look and see if I can find a link.

Thanks, Chris.

We have a combined one like a large anglepoise lamp but I find the large viewing area distracting.  I'm starting to wonder whether a helping hands magnifier might be better for some jobs.  Have any of you got or used one - what do you think of it?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=helping+hands+magnifiers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=V6G3VPLZKcH_UpqkgKgC&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=939&bih=408

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Poll, looking forward to seeing them at Stafford, will you have them on a STRING AND DANCING? hahhhahahah :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  

In true Tracy brothers style: Thunderbirds are go!  :danced:

• Like 2

Thanks, Chris.

We have a combined one like a large anglepoise lamp but I find the large viewing area distracting.  I'm starting to wonder whether a helping hands magnifier might be better for some jobs.  Have any of you got or used one - what do you think of it?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=helping+hands+magnifiers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=V6G3VPLZKcH_UpqkgKgC&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=939&bih=408

Hi Polly,

I have always used a large diameter rimless magnifier combined with an Ikea anglepoise strip lighter which takes a daylight double tube.   This has for me the advantage of being mobile when the sun moves during the day without the somewhat clumsy effect of looking through a rubber ring that the combination ones have. 

I've used a set-up like this for over 20 years now, just replacing magnifiers when they're too scratched and tubes when they fail.  You can still get the strip anglepoises from Ikea for about £16.00 I think.  The small magnifiers and croc clips I find useless, but without the magnifying glass the clips are useful when soldering those small bits that 'ping' off if you're not careful!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly,

I have always used a large diameter rimless magnifier combined with an Ikea anglepoise strip lighter which takes a daylight double tube.   This has for me the advantage of being mobile when the sun moves during the day without the somewhat clumsy effect of looking through a rubber ring that the combination ones have. 

I've used a set-up like this for over 20 years now, just replacing magnifiers when they're too scratched and tubes when they fail.  You can still get the strip anglepoises from Ikea for about £16.00 I think.  The small magnifiers and croc clips I find useless, but without the magnifying glass the clips are useful when soldering those small bits that 'ping' off if you're not careful!!

Thanks.  I shall look into that over the weekend having spent four hours peering through my normal specs.

Finished article in post below, although from the pics I think I will need that paint touch up I mentioned above.

• RMweb Gold

I have long sight, so use glasses for reading & seeing the computer screen. These are at 1x normal reading distance.

However, for modelling, I use a 3.5x pair, which helps tremendously, but also means I can"t see anything more that 3ft away!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have long sight, so use glasses for reading & seeing the computer screen. These are at 1x normal reading distance.

However, for modelling, I use a 3.5x pair, which helps tremendously, but also means I can"t see anything more that 3ft away!

I have a "spare pair" for reading music scores but it's set at arm's reach!

I'm due for an eye test so a close up pair is something I can ask about.

Thanks.

Edited by southern42

Thanks, Jaz.  Kind of you to say so.

The figures are from Langley Models though I modified the hats! [Didn't I see some on your Summary of the Past Year photos?] I matched the colour with a few bits of straw that came my way (with permission) from the gardening display at the war on the railway event on the Mid-Hants last June.  So you can see, it's taken quite some time to pluck up the courage to actually get round to painting figures rather than always buying RTP ones.

The men don't look too bad life-size, but blow the images up and you can see all sorts of imperfections - I'm now looking out for a decent magnification small table-top magnifying glass and some finer brushes but I'm not prone to going out in this weather unless I really have to!  I'll have a look round at Stafford.

I have the same problem, figures on the layout to the bare eye looks really good, photographs of the same show every imperfection that is not noticeable to the naked eye. 

But we still try to photograph them as close up as possible LOL.

Having been short sighted all my life, I find when modelling I can just remove my glasses, my eyesight is pretty bad, so my magnification is more like 5-8 all depends which eye is open LOL. Just as well modern science gives me thin plastic lenses....as I don't wear contacts any more.

• RMweb Premium

EEEEEEEK!!!!!! Those flowers cost a bomb, I would just paint them or buy a small pack of colours.

I bought the pack for the ferns.  The other leaves will be quite useful to provide some diverse vegetation other than just grass and shrubby stuff. I'm not convinced by the flowers for this stretch of Cornwall but I'm sure I'll find some more uses for them.   I was taking photos of typical "wild" and not so wild areas last summer to work from. Dock leaves for instance and the tall stems gone to seed and all those spreading plants that interweave with each other.  There are still several areas I'm looking forward to getting my hands on, making the "expense" worth it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I bought the pack for the ferns.  The other leaves will be quite useful to provide some diverse vegetation other than just grass and shrubby stuff. I'm not convinced by the flowers for this stretch of Cornwall but I'm sure I'll find some more uses for them.   I was taking photos of typical "wild" and not so wild areas last summer to work from. Dock leaves for instance and the tall stems gone to seed and all those spreading plants that interweave with each other.  There are still several areas I'm looking forward to getting my hands on, making the "expense" worth it.

I've been wondering how I could use the "leeks" which came with the rhubarb for the allotment.  It occurred to me last night that they might make some magnificent hart's tongue ferns in the wooded area either side of the road by the pub along with a few of the more usual ferns and maybe a bit of ivy underneath as I've got a bag of ivy leaves just waiting to be used some day.

But for now, it's back to the Morris Men.

Now what's she up to?   :D

Edit

Leek-come-fern?  http://www.devonwildlifetrust.org/i/Harts_tongue_fern.jpg

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Caught you on Jaz's thread. Hell's Teeth, I'm pleased I did!

Will catch up and follow with joy!

Hal

Delighted to have you onboard, Hal. Thanks for paying CQ a visit.  It's amazing to go back to the beginning of a layout and find out how much has been achieved. It's quite reassuring, too.  Of course, when you find a thread like Aboretum Valley, you get the annual summary.  :jester:   Maybe we'll have time to do one at the end 2015.  :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some pics from today.  It took me far longer than anticipated with several attempts and then trying to get some half decent photos with several retakes, more painting and touching up.  Also, after discovering brush hairs showing up in some of the photos I had the job of trying to remove them without damaging the paintwork.  The brush went in the bin!

Incidentally,  I used the combined light / magnifier this time. :O

post-14049-0-49032900-1421615543.jpgpost-14049-0-28726200-1421615560.jpg

post-14049-0-84061400-1421615586.jpgpost-14049-0-71405600-1421615614.jpg

post-14049-0-96712600-1421615705.jpg

post-14049-0-37595400-1421615732.jpg

Edit

Next job adding the cape.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3