Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, steve fay said:

Steam line up on Cardiff Canton Shed August 1962 by Derek Chaplin - Peter Brabham collection

The last and biggest piece needed for this project is the shed itself.

I know we are supposed to be looking at the buildings but interesting that castle has almost entirely been turned into a 7000 series - new steam chest, later boiler, different chimney, small window cab. Frame joggle gone as well?

edit: just read elsewhere it did get straight frames and new inside cylinders. So not many original bits left!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Cardiff Canton Depot 1962 by John Wiltshire : Peter Brabham collection

A great view from around the back of the shed. Unfortunately the kings chimneys are sacked up and the locos are now in storage. 
Finney have the 94 pannier kit out shortly, 

Minerva have the RTR 56xx coming out and Dapol have the 4575 and Std 3 tank so plenty to populate the shed area with local motive power along with locos heading to and from Caerphilly for overhaul. 

• Like 3

Black 5 44804 Cardiff Canton Sept 1962 by John Wiltshire

Talk of all the exotic locos that could turn up let’s not forget native power and top of the list to track down is a Grange and a Manor. 
Mitchell kits ideally. 6836 Estervarney Grange a Pontypool loco and local engine 7820 Dinmore manor as I’ve had a footplate ride on this engine. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steve fay said:

1961 - 'Coal Tank' at Cardiff..

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2018/04/cardiff-canton-1956-1962.html?m=1

Shed visit with locos recorded. According to that it’s a good brace of Halls needed but a pair will have to do 

I always thought a brace = a pair. eg a brace of pheasants( cock and hen)

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, steve fay said:

6836 Estervarney Grange a Pontypool loco 

Don't order a set of plates for this loco until you get the spelling correct! It's Estevarney Grange.

Dave

Edited by daifly

1 minute ago, daifly said:

Don't order a set of plates for this loco until you get the spelling correct! It's Estevarney Grange.

Dave

Auto correct,  I’ve had the plates for a while from Severn mill with the correct spelling. 
here she is on shed at Pontypool Road as back up loco for a royal train special in 63. 
a picture by my Friend Wayne Perham. 

IMG_9594.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s arrived and the plates are on order, unfortunately MOk can’t do a kit for the Stanier tender right now but Gladiator can. Hopefully be ready for collection at Guildex 

BFB57A31-2852-4A1E-ACE5-C48C58453B49.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Another new arrival in the form of an Ellis Clark Black 5. This will become Saltley’s 45272.  I really hope these are very successful for ECT as I’d love to see more locos from them. 
Severn mill plates on the way for it. 
More good news I’ve secured a Mitchell Grange kit and a Roxey WD 2.8.0 which eventually will become a Woodford based example.  These locos were common visitors to Canton and Ebbw Junction sheds. 

IMG_0131.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, steve fay said:

More good news I’ve secured a Mitchell Grange kit 

Word of mouth or is there a secret stash somewhere?!

I've been hanging on to a castle for ages on the basis if I sell it, I probably won't get another one if i change my mind later. Whether I'll ever build it is another matter!

Edited by Hal Nail

56 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Word of mouth or is there a secret stash somewhere?!

I've been hanging on to a castle for ages on the basis if I sell it, I probably won't get another one if i change my mind later. Whether I'll ever build it is another matter!

A friend of mine was having a kit clear out. 
they are getting increasingly harder to come by now so if there’s a chance you’ll build it I’d keep it.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Kit accumulation continues with a Collett Cab Mogul kit from Warren Shepherd. 
I’ve had a set of plates for a long time, my choice being Severn Valley favourite 7325 and she will be a Pontypool Road loco as the real thing was during the period I model. 
Unlike the preserved lined green she currently carries my research shows she was never one of the moguls to receive that livery so she will have to be black.  
it will be paired with the Malcolm Mitchell tender from the Grange I’ll be collecting shortly.  
planning is well underway for Cantons Extension as well. But more on that once the house renovations calm down a little 

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0147.jpeg

• Like 7

The Grange has been collected today an Original MM kit! 
with the news that Sans peril maybe in talks to take over the JLTRT range I may be able to source an SDK for it as well. The tender has been separated for use with the mogul. 
another Pontypool Road engine.  

IMG_0178.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 27/08/2024 at 19:25, steve fay said:

with the news that Sans peril maybe in talks to take over the JLTRT range

In such unfortunate circumstances I didn't want to comment the other day but given the quality of it, I did think that the ranges are bound to find homes eventually.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 4

Another Jubilee is soon joining the fleet! I wasn’t necessarily looking for another but it was a great price. 
This will be stripped and repaired and a few Laurie Griffin bits added. It will become Kempenfelt so the dome and top feed need to be replaced with a combined effort, not an often modelled variant. 
This has a personal link as it was the only Jubilee my dad seen on shed at Pontypool Road, another former Bristol loco but now a Shrewsbury allocated engine along with classmate Eire. 
Intentio are moving forward with the little building that lived under the footsteps. 
The footbridge support has sustained a little damage as the garage is the storage space for a lot of stuff during the house renovation. There’s currently a full Bath suite and a sofa amongst lots of other stuff in there, It should be a simple repair job ( fingers crossed ) 

I will be having a chat with Mike Greenwood at Guildex to see if he does a turntable that closey resembles the one at Canton for the extension. 

IMG_0207.jpeg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Not a loco often associated with south wales but after the LT&SR was electrified a few got a transfer to Swansea and Neath. 
this one will become 80097 from Swansea shed. Now I’ve no evidence that one would have made it to Canton in the four months before canton closed and it’s arrival in south wales but I’ve always thought that these are the best looking tank engines in the UK. 
To good a deal to leave behind and the matching wheel set included made it a no brainier. 
Turn table on order and the little shed building should be here very soon. 

IMG_0293.jpeg

• Like 5