10203 Where did it run?

Joseph_Pestell

Guest Belgian

Does anyone know whether they ran in black on the LMR at all?

All the photo evidence seems to show them repainted to green with late emblem once transferred to the LMR, although in the back of my mind I thought I saw one of them still in black in New St.

Cheers

Keith

They were sent to the LMR in 1955 and the new 'late crest' wasn't introduced until mid-1956 at the earliest. No photographs seem to have surfaced of them in green with 'early emblems' although there are photos of them in 1957 in green with late crests.

Therefore it follows that they must have worked on the LMR at least during 1955 and the first part of 1956 in black.

QED!

JE

Guest Belgian

There's a five-second film clip of one of the trio exiting a tunnel at the head of a set of blood and custard Mk 1s at 1 minute 43 seconds into this film. The tunnel doesn't look like any I know on the two SR routes the engines ran on but does look curiously like some I've seen on the LNWR West Coast Main line. The engine is in black livery.

Perhaps someone with greater knowledge than I of the WCML can definitely identify it and, if so, it will confirm that at least one of them worked on that line in black. But on re-reading this thread I see that post 4 has already confirmed that they did until late 1956.

JE

• RMweb Gold

I clearly now understand that the model of 10203 will not be available until 2014.

But, thats an awful long time to wait from its first announcement in Sept 2010.........I understand the difficulties in bringing something from the drawing board to fruition, but I'm thinking that nearly 4 years is perhaps a bit long.  Please dont misunderstand me, I am the first to congratulate Kernow Models for embarking on the project with Dapol.

I also understand that it is a bit of "getting a stake in the ground" so as to speak, to deter other manufacturers from producing the same model. 

Is this the future I wonder..........models to be promised so far into the future......based on this length of time to wait for a model, I would be a bit wary of pre ordering anything into the future, even though your card will not be debited until despatch.

Bob,

Whilst I understand your frustration as I advised in another thread, the stake in the ground, i.e. the announcement being made much earlier than originally planned,  was required in this particular instance as at the time both Hattons and Rails of Sheffield had made announcement about the LMS Twins creating duplication and the the potential risk to Kernow's future plans if one of them decided to switch to the Bulleid diesels instead.

This is certainly not the 'normal' practice or I believe the future way so to speak.

This early announcement has been compounded by the design process of other items already in the queue taking longer than originally planned in a bid to get them as accurate as possible. 

Bob,

Whilst I understand your frustration as I advised in another thread, the stake in the ground, i.e. the announcement being made much earlier than originally planned,  was required in this particular instance as at the time both Hattons and Rails of Sheffield had made announcement about the LMS Twins creating duplication and the the potential risk to Kernow's future plans if one of them decided to switch to the Bulleid diesels instead.

This is certainly not the 'normal' practice or I believe the future way so to speak.

This early announcement has been compounded by the design process of other items already in the queue taking longer than originally planned in a bid to get them as accurate as possible. 

Thanks again Graham for taking the trouble to further explain the reasons for the delay.

Perhaps any further discussions on the subject of delays should continue on the original "Kernow Announcements" thread here... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21193-kernow-models-announcements/

Apologies to the OP for me taking it off topic.

Bob.

• 1 year later...

I must confess to not reading avidly every weekly Kernow Models newsletter..........so I may have missed some news on the progress of this loco.

Are we still where we were almost 2 years ago, the last time I posted on this thread......I suspect we are as there have been many upheavals over that period.......i.e. troubles in China, problems with Dapol etc.,

Would just be happy to know it is still a possibility....and is still in the pipeline.????

Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

I must confess to not reading avidly every weekly Kernow Models newsletter..........so I may have missed some news on the progress of this loco.

Are we still where we were almost 2 years ago, the last time I posted on this thread......I suspect we are as there have been many upheavals over that period.......i.e. troubles in China, problems with Dapol etc.,

Would just be happy to know it is still a possibility....and is still in the pipeline.????

Bob.

I have just caught up with a Kernow newsletter of late....it says the model is still undergoing research because of the lack of drawing available.  The model shop manager said he would need to spend a week at the NRM York to see what he can come up with.

So...................I think the answer is that there is not a lot of progress to be seen with this model, and it may be some years yet before we get to see anything.

It is still commendable if Kernow , as they say, are continuing with this model, despite all the problems they have had with Dapol, and all the Chinese problems too......but it is now quite a long time since they announced the prospect of this model.....September 2010 to be exact.

Bob

It is still commendable if Kernow , as they say, are continuing with this model, despite all the problems they have had with Dapol, and all the Chinese problems too......but it is now quite a long time since they announced the prospect of this model.....September 2010 to be exact.

Bob

As you say,Bob, it is commendable that Kernow are continuing with the project. At least other manufacturers are aware of this and are not duplicating but (hopefully) doing something else. It just goes to show that something which seems 'a good idea at the time' may take a while to come to fruition.

• RMweb Gold

I also believe it was announced earlier than originally intended due to the fact that a couple of other commissions had been duplicated (seems the theme at the moment) and was to show intent. Without a flat panel anywhere on the bodyside it is important to get as much information together as possible before working on CADs and therefore other quicker to market projects are sensibly taking priority. I am aware that many internal component drawings do exist but these do not help the model designer.

As with many things in life we just need to have patience.

Archived