On Tim's workbench - BR Standard 2MT

Timara

I believe so, Tim will know for sure, but I think Mike will be selling them once one or two bugs are sorted out. I'm having one for sure :)

Yes, that is correct.  One or two items missing and one to enlarge (lifting eyes on tender rear), but that's how test etches go!  The rest of what is required on the loco half is entirely down to the modeller.  As for timescale of full availability, I haven't the foggiest! :)

• 3 months later...

A long-overdue update.  It's a rare chance I get to do something for myself these days, but this one was a nice quickie.

To my eyes, Hornby's current 'Britannia' is one of the best models around, with very little needing sprucing up.  One weakness of a lot of RTR models is smoke deflectors.  Bachmann's 9F is a notable exception though, having very nice metal ones.

Something that cropped up in conversation with Mike Edge was decent-looking deflectors for a 'Brit', which he mentioned he'd done to improve those supplied on DJH kits.  I have two models, 70017 and 70047, both allocated to Willesden (1A).  I'll deal with the ones on Arrow another day, but here are the original-style ones as fitted to the unnamed 'Brit'.  The photos should mostly explain what is supplied on the etch; four stays and the join plates for soldering to the inside.  Handrail knobs are the short type from Gibson and their 0.45mm handrail wire is used too.

post-6712-0-41913400-1385668437_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-97947400-1385668356_thumb.jpg

Also included is the front platform below the smokebox.  Most can live with the reasonably well-moulded affair from Hornby, but I thought I'd give this one a go, since it is on the etch.  It does look highly effective, in my opinion!

post-6712-0-83021400-1385668532_thumb.jpg

Before I snip them from their fret, here are the LMR style ones.  Mike also does the WR type with multiple hand grabs.

post-6712-0-95241200-1385669094_thumb.jpg

Primer and paint beckon, before final fixing to the loco.  I used a bit of scrap etch on the lower inside edge for extra support and for a bit more surface area in order to fix them to the running plate.  Well worth the effort I reckon :)

• Like 10

How do they compare with the old JE ones from Classic Train and Motor Bus price wise? They look identical apart from the use of ns rather than brass :)

Probably very little in it, aside from being crisper and with a few extras thrown in.  They're certainly a lot stronger, being NS!  I paid £5 per set, if that's any guide?

Weren't 70043 and 70044 deflectorless for part of their lives?

That's correct, yes.  That was only during the Westinghouse air brake trials though, which lasted until the mid 1950s.

Edited by Tim

• 3 weeks later...

A lick of paint does wonders for etched parts.  I've added another detail not shown in the earlier pics above - the upper support stays. I had some suitably sized thin brass strip, originally bought for making lamp irons, which more than did the trick.

post-6712-0-77567600-1387329874_thumb.jpg

A broadside of 70047, awaiting weathering and regauging.

post-6712-0-98977800-1387329701_thumb.jpg

I also got round to doing the replacement deflectors for 'Arrow', which meant I could finally model the one feature that wasn't really do-able on the originals.  70017 was one of those borrowed for a short time in 1953 by the Southern region, gaining an extra lamp iron in the process.  Using the remainder of a shortened stay, the extra lamp iron has been added to the lower stay on the driver's side.  It needs a tiny dash of white paint on it (as evidenced by the Colour Rail slide I have) and then I'll weather the deflectors to match the rest of the loco.

post-6712-0-74659500-1387329936_thumb.jpg

Both locos together. 

post-6712-0-88026300-1387329341_thumb.jpg

That's all for the moment....

• Like 12

Very nice Tim, I had no idea that Mike was doing such things.

Dave Franks

Thanks Dave!  Had Mike and myself not have been discussing about replacement etched deflectors for the Hornby 'Duke', then the mention of these wouldn't have cropped up :).  Even if I say so myself, they have completely transformed the look of the model.

I suppose people will be clamouring at Mike's door for lists of random detailing parts that he might have. Thing is, if they are part of other (unrelated) etches, that would make delivery times interesting....

Possibly...  These were done as replacements for those supplied in DJH kits (I think) and I was lucky Mike had a single set of the original style left in stock.  I dare say that If enough people want these, since they're a little better than the erstwhile Jackson Evans ones, I'm sure Mike could possibly be persuaded into one day transferring them over to a production etch instead of the usual test etches.

Thanks Dave!  Had Mike and myself not have been discussing about replacement etched deflectors for the Hornby 'Duke', then the mention of these wouldn't have cropped up :).  Even if I say so myself, they have completely transformed the look of the model.

Possibly...  These were done as replacements for those supplied in DJH kits (I think) and I was lucky Mike had a single set of the original style left in stock.  I dare say that If enough people want these, since they're a little better than the erstwhile Jackson Evans ones, I'm sure Mike could possibly be persuaded into one day transferring them over to a production etch instead of the usual test etches.

Does Mike actually have a list some where of items he does?

Does Mike actually have a list some where of items he does?

Anything outside of the regular Judith Edge kit list tends to be word-of-mouth only, which is why we're all struggling to keep abreast.

I only know of what I know, so there's probably far more in various scales than one can even imagine.  Still, it would be nice to see these as a stock item (he says, with a grin...).

On a related note, I'll hopefully be seeing the production etch of the Riddles 2MT soon, once the etches arrive back at Mike's from the etchers.  Plenty still to be done by the modeller to complete the model, but that's the whole point :)

• Like 1

Indeed, Dave.  There seems to be very little awareness of who makes what detailing parts which could be why so few people actually do any detailing!

Chris

Chris.

I think part of the problem is that most 'modellers' accept the shortfalls of RTR models, even if they know what they are.

If, as me, and I am sure you, want to improve a model we will research and find out where the parts we need are available from. If they are not available we will make them ourselves out of whatever suitable material.

The other problem is small suppliers either retiring, (As most of us ARE getting older), or just deciding to pack it in and not hand on or sell their product.

A good place to look for a list of suppliers for all sorts of thing is, the CLAG website http://www.clag.org.uk/   supplier text

Described as "the most complete list of finescale suppliers on the planet "

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

A good place to look for a list of suppliers for all sorts of thing is, the CLAG website http://www.clag.org.uk/   supplier text

Andy.

which doesn't seem to include Judith Edge Kits or am I missing something?

Chris.

....The other problem is small suppliers either retiring, (As most of us ARE getting older), or just deciding to pack it in and not hand on or sell their product.

That assumes you were aware of their product(s).

....A good place to look for a list of suppliers for all sorts of thing is, the CLAG website http://www.clag.org.uk/   supplier text

Andy.

It tells you who they are, but doesn't always tell you what they produce.