Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Hi,

I thought I would like to join in, but I'm not at the level of most of you guys, but here is a selection, already posted in different places on here:

attachicon.gif08.jpg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-06-11 at 13.51.39.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-06-11 at 13.52.44.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-06-11 at 13.54.39.png

You have nothing to worry about, they're superb!!

Hi,

I thought I would like to join in, but I'm not at the level of most of you guys, but here is a selection, already posted in different places on here....

Hi there bagpipes,

I wouldn't say that....

The title of the thread is "How realistic are your models?"

I can see some really nice touches of realism in those photos...

There's usually some clue in the photo that gives it away as a model,

with very seldom exceptions to that....

And we all see elements within a model or a photo of that model which appear realistic to our eyes

We often perceive realism where others do not

They, in turn may perceive other elements of that scene as "realistic"

It's always worth placing your modelling efforts on here,

as you never know - just one view may inspire another modeller,

or share an idea, or way to overcome a problem....

That's why we all post on here;

To share ideas, to help others, and to learn something ourselves

Smashing shots those! I particularly like the weathering on the 08 and the Hymek :)

More photos please

Marc

The SECR locos look great. How did you do the livery, if you don't mind me asking? I'm a fan of the Chatham but the Wainwright livery has always put me off.

Hi,

On the H Class it is predominately bits of Fox transfers lining. The red is from mixed traffic lining and the yellow from LMS loco lining. The green is white Crafty Computer paper printed with the right shade of green on the PC then cut into strips. The lettering is Fox alphabet and the crest is again scanned onto transfer paper. On the P Class I created complete sides on the PC using Word 2010 including the dark green.

Remember you can cheat a little as these are all 'N' gauge.

Gareth

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

WHERE CAN WE SEE MORE OF JOHN DORNOM'S LAIRA ROUNDHOUSE.  Blew me socks off when I saw this.  Dunno where I've been to have missed this thread and only came across it because it got a mention by Andy in the latest RMweb email.  Brilliant stuff here from all my favorites.

I have now lost count of the had-to-look-twice-to-check-it's-a-model moments I've had on this page alone. Many thanks to all and a huge well done. Makes me want to finish something and have a crack, myself.

Hi,

On the H Class it is predominately bits of Fox transfers lining. The red is from mixed traffic lining and the yellow from LMS loco lining. The green is white Crafty Computer paper printed with the right shade of green on the PC then cut into strips. The lettering is Fox alphabet and the crest is again scanned onto transfer paper. On the P Class I created complete sides on the PC using Word 2010 including the dark green.

Remember you can cheat a little as these are all 'N' gauge.

Gareth

Thanks for the information. The results look great.

Guest jonte

May as well throw a couple of mine in.

Just soooooooooo good, Mike!!

That GWR piccie still gets me.

Best wishes,

Jonte

These pictures are great. What differs them from a, "real," picture? If these, say, were shown to a non-enthusiast, would they be able to distinguish them from a real picture? And if they would be able to tell the difference, how? Will modelling ever get any more realistic?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

These pictures are great. What differs them from a, "real," picture? If these, say, were shown to a non-enthusiast, would they be able to distinguish them from a real picture? And if they would be able to tell the difference, how? Will modelling ever get any more realistic?

Speaking only for myself I try not to try too hard!  With the greatest of respect for those who take many hours over their work (which is probably most if not all of us showing work here) I have never gone for getting that last blade of grass perfectly "mown" nor that last streak of rust or dust copied exactly from a photo.  What you see - in my pictures - is my normal modelling work without any attempt to do anything special shown in some pictures which have turned out well enough that I consider them worthy of sharing.  

Could the average member of the public tell the difference?  Most of my work colleagues are aware of my hobby.  Occasionally one will comment on the "postcards" which are stuck around my desk which are all postcard-sized prints of my own photos.  Of the six which are there two show modelling work and both are picked for the real thing more than half of the time.  

That's at least some sort of response to the questions asked.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3

Hi Jawfin,

Interesting question, or rather several interesting questions in one ;)

Many non-enthusiasts may not be able to tell the difference immediately

And I know several fellow rmwebbers have commented that they've had to look twice at some photos

From a photographic point of view,

there are several clues as to whether it is the "real thing" or not

Depth of field being perhaps the best known, and most often spotted in a picture of a model

But viewpoint and perspective factors, combined with optical distortions caused by lenses

can also give the game away

Along with atmospheric perspective, and perception of colours...

Now these are just some of the factors involved, and this could be a thread in its' own right..

Most often, several of these key factors combine, to tell the onlooker that it is a model

But I think personally, that realism has improved greatly in recent years

Partly due to the quality of comparatively inexpensive digital cameras,

and largely due to the quality of models produced;

Just look at some of the latest offerings of Bachmann & Dapol,

compared to models being made 15 years ago....

Photographic backscenes are helping too

There are still layouts on the exhibition circuit, which don't have any background at all

But I can recall exhibiting my GWR terminus "Ogmore Road" - some 15 or so years back,

where it was one of only 2 or 3 layouts to even have a backscene!

There is a really nice thread, which has recently lost some of its' impetus

it's called "Models can look like the real thing" but its' original title also said

"... but can the real thing look like a model?"

It's well worth checking out, as it is related to this thread,

but kind of the other way round - i.e. The real thing, looking like a model...

Cheers

Marc

EDIT to include link to thread - check it out...... :)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55259-models-can-look-just-like-the-real-thing/

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the thing that will often give the game away is that our models have surfaces that are too flawless, compared to real engines and rolling stock. Even a well cared for diesel has lots of ripples and imperfections in its body that would be pretty hard to achieve in a model, and even if you got close to achieving it, they'd probably still look "wrong", like the result of bad modelling rather than a quest for realism?