Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

class 05 D2564 rescues the last vans from Donnington sidings before the engineer closes them for good.

Hi :)

This is a fantastic photo! I dont know how you have done this gonzo but its very impressive. Is it done with an old camera or photoshop?

Anyway it inspired me to try and reproduce it in photoshop..

post-2065-0-69168500-1296506792_thumb.jpg

To me its nowhere near as good as what you have achieved but its as close as I can get!

(BTW the subject is my pannier tank on Highclere and hasnt been touched)

Missy :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

post-6776-0-36056400-1296510077_thumb.png

A sudden downpour catches this photographer unaware at Calshot. A carriage waits at the concrete pre-cast platform for it's locomotive to return to take it back up the line towards Totton and then onto Southampton.

This is a different photo from the one on my blog and is a much better quality edit after having looked for a quick tutorial online for adding rain effects to photos. It is the only editing done, but it has changed the photo appearance quite a lot so I'm not sure if it qualifies for this thread? The puddle is genuine and the background is just a white sheet of card which I used to help suggest a misty/rainy atmosphere.

• Like 9

post-4446-0-90632700-1296516545_thumb.jpg this is the same shot before it was cropped to get rid of the shadow across the front.then the pic is brought back up to size,which enlarges the whole pic and shows off the grain in the film.all my model pix so far have been on print or slide film,i havent had the chance to let loose the new digital slr.also all pix are taken in natural daylight,usually bright really sunny day so i can get the F stop high enough[f22 ish]for the depth of field and a reasonable shutter speed [1/60 to1/100]to lessen the chance of camera shake even when using a tripod and shutter release cable.hope this is of some help.gear used PentaxP30t,2x converter to kill the wide angle effect of the wide angle lens,and a wide angle lens due to its lack of depth of field.
  • Like 9

Black and White in the late 1970s in the Mosely Road sidings on 'Grove Street Yard' and 08507 hides beside the overhead crane. This close up it makes me think that I should have posed my Hornby class 08 instead of the Bachmann one to lessen the impact of those fat side rods.

post-8701-0-06303900-1296682249_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Black and White in the late 1970s in the Mosely Road sidings on 'Grove Street Yard' and 08507 hides beside the overhead crane. This close up it makes me think that I should have posed my Hornby class 08 instead of the Bachmann one to lessen the impact of those fat side rods.

Hi Jenny.

A very good attempt slightly let down (if you don't mind me saying) by the stain from the fuel tank. If you browse prototypes you'll find stains but it is fuel not oil and it appears to seep from out of the oval plate on the drivers side fuel tank.

Heres an image of what I am trying to convey ;

http://erniesrailway.../p63305325.html

http://class.trains..../p47788048.html

Great work anyway Jenny and hope you don't mind me being critical.

Cheers

Hi Jenny.

A very good attempt slightly let down (if you don't mind me saying) by the stain from the fuel tank. If you browse prototypes you'll find stains but it is fuel not oil and it appears to seep from out of the oval plate on the drivers side fuel tank.

Thanks. The locomotive is actually factory weathered by Bachmann and is (from memory - the box is in storage) catalogue number 32-102Z. Its colour is a very nice faded blue (a shame that Bachmann haven't used this for any of the other factory weathered examples). The oil stain is what they applied, and I have added no weathering effects to this loco.

On vehicles that rarely get a wash, spilt diesel does seem to acquire a lot of black dirt in it. The skirts on reefer road trailers are a terror for it with black slicks developing down the sides over the winter from the red diesel filler pipe. Not quite as badly as the Bachmann applied stain and more like the 08 in your first picture.

Below is the picture prior to going black and white. I use a 12 or so year old programme called Paint Shop Pro 5 for effects, and it is somewhat primitive compared to Photoshop. The biggest achievement was airbrushing out the tension-lock couplings and the edge of the baseboard., both of which were rather prominent in the original picture, which is below the colour version for comparison.

post-8701-0-25768400-1296761513_thumb.jpgpost-8701-0-57576100-1296761982_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry Jim that Peak is way to clean.;) Love those point motors and your new station lights they look great.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by Mod5
To remove unnecesary quote and photo

Guest jim s-w

Nice crane and phot Mr Angell323 - on one of my favourite layouts too B)

Good pic Jim - a 'proper' B&W conversion too ;)

The peak does need more grime yes. I always convert to B&W using LAB colour. No "just desaturate" here.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks. The locomotive is actually factory weathered by Bachmann and is (from memory - the box is in storage) catalogue number 32-102Z. Its colour is a very nice faded blue (a shame that Bachmann haven't used this for any of the other factory weathered examples). The oil stain is what they applied, and I have added no weathering effects to this loco.

On vehicles that rarely get a wash, spilt diesel does seem to acquire a lot of black dirt in it. The skirts on reefer road trailers are a terror for it with black slicks developing down the sides over the winter from the red diesel filler pipe. Not quite as badly as the Bachmann applied stain and more like the 08 in your first picture.

Below is the picture prior to going black and white. I use a 12 or so year old programme called Paint Shop Pro 5 for effects, and it is somewhat primitive compared to Photoshop. The biggest achievement was airbrushing out the tension-lock couplings and the edge of the baseboard., both of which were rather prominent in the original picture, which is below the colour version for comparison.

post-8701-0-25768400-1296761513_thumb.jpgpost-8701-0-57576100-1296761982_thumb.jpg

Oops Jenny. Please accept my apologies.

If that is "factory weathering" mental note made to totally avoid such offerings !!!

I just found my eyes being drawn to the triangular blob.

Sorry