Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

I've just done the dirty deed and made my Hornby Thompson L1 suitable for circa 1953 when it had been in traffic for a few years. Moved the smokebox lamp bracket up 2mm and made a smokebox numberplate. Then weathered it.

post-6680-055021000 1285879439_thumb.jpg

Adding a mono shot seems to be popular....

post-6680-072042500 1285879555_thumb.jpg

Wow, that is good excellent stunning.

I spent quite a while flipping between the two pics amazing myself at how the very, very subtle weathering does not come across in the monochrome pic and wondering how many prototype B&W photos of "reasonably clean" locos from the past are not all they seem.

There are those who can, and the rest of us who, inspired by such models, happily keep trying.

regards

Stewart

Come on Larry, own up - surely you just lifted that b&w shot straight out of one the Yeddon's books on LNER locos ;)

Lovely one of 60009 Dave, talk about raising the bar!

Nidge

MMmmmmm.... Yes it does look like a book photo, now you have said that...Doh!

Jamie

As always, some superb inspirational pics in this thread. I thought I'd post a pic showing a scene on Hornsey Road, as the layout will soon have to be packed away to make space for other projects.

hornsey_construct31.jpg

A quiet moment near Hornsey Road depot, with a class 08 and class 40 in the holding sidings.

• Like 15

gallery_7261_239_40439.jpg

Storm clouds gather over Fife as 47009 works the Oxwellmains to Dundee cement (6L58) passed Balbeggie Sidings. 2 paths are allowed for this service with one to Dundee and one to Aberdeen. Empties will be worked back tomorrow. 009 is a Haymarket engine and has been given a light grey roof, although you wouldn't tell from the work stained appearance.

JD

• Like 12

hi i thought id add a couple from charlie street, i went for te good old black and white style

post-6696-085174400 1286217226_thumb.jpg

D8507 waits in the yard for its next duties

post-6696-021932800 1286217259_thumb.jpg

33204 refuels at night

post-6696-055419500 1286217288_thumb.jpg

"come on frank, lets o for a brew"

post-6696-047112500 1286217522_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'd like to draw the attention of contributors to this topic to the fact that the National Railway Museum supported by Model Rail and Bachmann are having a competition to find photographs of model railways that look most like the real thing.

Details can be found on the NRM site here - http://www.nrm.org.uk/GetInvolved/competitions/modelrailway.aspx

If some contributors aren't too backwards at going forwards for it I'd think there's a good chance that something from these pages could be in the running.

The voting will be carried out by visitors to the NRM website. The closing date is 01 November 2010.

• Like 1

I'd like to draw the attention of contributors to this topic to the fact that the National Railway Museum supported by Model Rail and Bachmann are having a competition to find photographs of model railways that look most like the real thing.

Details can be found on the NRM site here - http://www.nrm.org.u...delrailway.aspx

If some contributors aren't too backwards at going forwards for it I'd think there's a good chance that something from these pages could be in the running.

The voting will be carried out by visitors to the NRM website. The closing date is 01 November 2010.

Got to be a guaranteed winner in here, IMHO.;)

Hi all,

I haven't put a pic on here in a while.

45029 sits on the fuel tank road.

47535 is on the shed headshunt, waiting to set back onto the fuel road.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-070817100 1286362805_thumb.jpg

post-7022-052625400 1286362976_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I almost feel embarrassed but here goes - my first photo post in this thread.

I was playing around with a camera - taking some pictures of some projects that have been passing over the workbench, I had wanted to check their appearance through a lens. I have a small plank which is slowly developing but it's awaiting some paint and ballast - so I took some B&W pics. I soon became wistful and dreamt of 1990... escaping the world cup, visiting the Exeter Line and finding that some loco shortages had caused some interesting motive power to appear*...

*(not unusual for the time - in fact most of the locos in this selection had powered trains some where between Waterloo and Exeter during this period)

Cheers

Griff

• Like 1

Guest TomTank

Another from me...recent picture of work on the layout, and I thought looked quite good :)

60800 on the ECML north of York

020520082222-1-1.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if I can embed this as it will have copyright so just putting in a link.

Scroll to the bottom to the picture of the M7:

http://www.scalefour...o/brighton.html

Good heavens above :O . That M7 is nigh on perfect...and beautifully photographed. You would have to be told (and then convinced again) that was a model and not the real thing!

Another from me...recent picture of work on the layout, and I thought looked quite good :)

It does look very good, but if you pay a little attention to framing and cropping, it can look better!

post-6908-096275400 1286875596_thumb.jpg

Note how I've removed both the very obvious track panel joints and the out of focus nearfield, both givaways that it's a pic of a model. The composition is also now such that the main focus of the eye is drawn from the primary object, the train, back into the landscape, just by putting the loco about a third the way up rather than dead centre. BTW, these comments are meant as positive criticism, to help you, (and others), take better pics, so please take in the good spirit intended! :)

edit: Just had my second mug of tea, and noticed, (Doh!!), another neat little tweak. ATM, the loco looks like it's thrashing up a bank because the frame is not quite square. If I correct the horizons by rotating the crop, it now looks like it's coasting downhill, so easily explaining the lack of steam and smoke.

post-6908-093871400 1286877532_thumb.jpg

• Like 5