Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

Right, that has got to be real! :O

No just modelling magnificence from Gordon and Maggie Gravett.My seamoss trees look pi**poor compared to those.

• RMweb Gold

Not one of mine and this probably features elsewhere on the site, but well worth repeating here.  The excellent Pempoul Reseau Breton:

A couple of my photos of this work of art, the first is in the 'Realistic Modelling Gallery'

post-7104-0-13201800-1372087775.jpg

post-7104-0-06508200-1372087785.jpg

• Like 10

it is the dublo poster, I was going to change it for a "You're never alone with a strand" poster and there is not enough Emergency water supply signs on layouts set in the 50s/60s.

the layout by the way is Swan street goods built by Chris Hewitt which I now own, it featured in BRM in 1998, the cobbles (sets) where carved from DAS modelling clay which Chris says where inspired by Gordon and Maggie Gravett's work with DAS.

the locos I built a Judith Edge Kitson and DJH class 02.

the Warehouse is based on the one at Ducie street in Manchester.

• Like 3

Bachmann Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2 Tank loco BR. (Not auto fitted.)

For my model railway,this loco would be shedded at Wrexham Hightown Depot. LMR Region. For use on local passenger trains on the Wrexham Central, Ffrwd Locks, Denbigh and Rhyl, and Wrexham Central to Crewe routes.

Re-badged from the Late Crest with Modelmasters Transfers, and a trip through the weathering paint shop...

Pictured at Ffrwd Locks Station on a Wrexham Bound Stopping Train.

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwd1.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod21.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod12BW.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod3.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwdmod3BWjpg.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwd2mod.jpg

Ivatt2mttankBRFfrwd2modBW.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

I had to do a double-take on those shots, Sandhills, just to make sure they weren't real. The only giveaway I can see is in that last one with the Peak: the curved catenary wires. That's not intended as a criticism, BTW.

Excellent work - actually, that applies to all of the contributors. :)

• RMweb Gold

No no no no no NO!

That "Toton in the mist" shot is in the wrong thread.

You can cause trouble with shots like that!

..fantastic. I can even remember the year I saw em like that!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sandhills

Have you noticed that every time you publish a pic of one of your stunning Class 56's the prices of secondhand ones on ebay shoot up?  Your second and third pics above are just mouth watering - modeling of the highest excellence.  You photography skills are brilliant too.  More please.

Mike

I think the thing that will often give the game away is that our models have surfaces that are too flawless, compared to real engines and rolling stock. Even a well cared for diesel has lots of ripples and imperfections in its body that would be pretty hard to achieve in a model, and even if you got close to achieving it, they'd probably still look "wrong", like the result of bad modelling rather than a quest for realism?

Apart from the flaws in paintwork and panel fit, I have often observed in life things like skies and shadows, colours and hues, which if they were modelled would be met with, "it doesn't look real". Yesterday I drove around a harbour here in NZ, a few days after a winter storm, and the water surface was absolutely dead flat, not a ripple anywhere.   Unreal, I might have thought,   ...

So I use basic computer programs to alter digital images. I don't see it as much different from adding backdrops, or in my earlier days in bromide photography, masking and burning photo paper under an enlarger to 'enhance' steam exhaust and skies, or adding filters. But it's not quite the same, this photo editing, and it opens a whole new world of errors.

I have greatly enjoyed this thread during a few visits, so offer an example of not exactly pure realism, but an enjoyable effect. I tried to pan passing trains with my cameras back in the 1960s with variable results, with a good Hornby model it was somewhat easier!

post-7929-0-56318300-1372374675.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

Guest CLARENCE

I think we need another button, for "amazing", looking at some of these pictures, as much for the quality of the photography as the modelling "realism"! I wish my modelling (and photography) was a tenth as good. I wouldn't dare post any of my pics on here!

Regards, David.

Edited by CLARENCE

Apart from the flaws in paintwork and panel fit, I have often observed in life things like skies and shadows, colours and hues, which if they were modelled would be met with, "it doesn't look real". Yesterday I drove around a harbour here in NZ, a few days after a winter storm, and the water surface was absolutely dead flat, not a ripple anywhere.   Unreal, I might have thought,   ...

So I use basic computer programs to alter digital images. I don't see it as much different from adding backdrops, or in my earlier days in bromide photography, masking and burning photo paper under an enlarger to 'enhance' steam exhaust and skies, or adding filters. But it's not quite the same, this photo editing, and it opens a whole new world of errors.

I have greatly enjoyed this thread during a few visits, so offer an example of not exactly pure realism, but an enjoyable effect. I tried to pan passing trains with my cameras back in the 1960s with variable results, with a good Hornby model it was somewhat easier!

attachicon.gif30778_Maunsell_N15_putting_on_fire_2abcd_r800a.jpg

Rob

Shades of George Heiron! Great shot.

Graeme

• RMweb Gold

Time to inject a little bit of Aussie into this thread!

attachicon.gifFinished Wagon with Background.jpg

Not up to the mind-blowingly excellent quality of other shots on here, but I'm happy with it.

Matt.

It's what I think of a 'quintessential Aussie'.

Wide open blue skies, scorched red earth and lots of rusty corrugated iron!

You've got the lot there – thanks for sharing.

Kev.