shed insulation

I've a fair bit of knowledge regarding the insulation of tropical fish houses, where not only does a temperature of at least 25degC have to be maintained, but an extremely humid atmosphere to boot! Most of the fish nutters use kingspan / celotex, with the foil side towards the room, sealed with foil tape. Favoured cladding is shuttering ply, sealed with mould-resistant kitchen & bathroom paint. 

Compared to their needs, using the polystyrene you have, together with battening & a decent cladding should be a doddle...

RKA,

I agree with the post suggesting using silvered multi-layer insulation. A possible product is Tri-iso Super 10 (no connection). These materials have high insulation performance with minimum thickness and, with taped joints, are integral vapour and draught barriers. For best performance, there should be an airspace either side so the walls would need 22mm battens, insulation, 22mm counter battens and then dry lining (probably best would be 9 mm WBP ply as less likely to be damaged than plasterboard). Similarly, the roof would require 22mm battens under the rafters and insulation and then dry lining.

Hope that this helps.

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I have been using a shed for my layout for over ten years now, it really is worth taking time to get it right. In mine I use a couple of those moisture traps you can buy for boats and caravans. I am able to leave paper drawings and notes on my desk and the paper does not have that damp feel, indeed magazines I have stored in there are fine. I just buy a bucket of the crystals once a year and top up as required. I guess a dehumidifier is another option though more expensive. I'm in the shed now and it's all dry and fine. Worth a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

right I have got permission to alter the shed for my purposes so with the roof I am going with the foil backed rockwool and either plasterboard or ply shuttering,

I have had a look at the floor and it is just paving slabs onto the dirt, so I was thinking about lifting then up and insulating the floor aswell, from what I have seen at work on building sites do I need to put down a polythene sheet then insulation then lay the flags back on top and point them up.

Now I obviously know that I will have to dig down a bit to make sure the floor does not finish off higher than the block course which has the dpc, but what I would like to know if anyone knows if he foil backed kingspan/cellotex would be ok for this purpose?

right I have got permission to alter the shed for my purposes so with the roof I am going with the foil backed rockwool and either plasterboard or ply shuttering,

I have had a look at the floor and it is just paving slabs onto the dirt, so I was thinking about lifting then up and insulating the floor aswell, from what I have seen at work on building sites do I need to put down a polythene sheet then insulation then lay the flags back on top and point them up.

Now I obviously know that I will have to dig down a bit to make sure the floor does not finish off higher than the block course which has the dpc, but what I would like to know if anyone knows if he foil backed kingspan/cellotex would be ok for this purpose?

Short answer: no. The kingspan and Knauf spaceboard aren't dense enough to be weight bearing. For that you need something like Dow Floormate. Defo go with a poly sheet between the ground and what ever flooring you decide on. An idea would be to put down a wooden floor then use the 1/4" laminate flooring underlay with cheap laminate flooring on top.

Short answer: no. The kingspan and Knauf spaceboard aren't dense enough to be weight bearing. For that you need something like Dow Floormate. Defo go with a poly sheet between the ground and what ever flooring you decide on. An idea would be to put down a wooden floor then use the 1/4" laminate flooring underlay with cheap laminate flooring on top.

As an additional layer on the floor in my shed I have used the loft boarding from B&Q, its easy to but down & reasonably cheap

• RMweb Gold

have a look at my "birmingham central" thread in the layout section and there are some pictures of my new shed being built from the ground up including the ground work i did beforehand

• 2 weeks later...

This just shows what a difference properly insulating the roof makes. I've been doing some work on the inside of the shed and removed half the roof insulation. You can clearly see where each 2' by 6' panel was taken down.

post-2818-0-70234200-1360606890.jpg

Archived