Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

I thought of you yesterday Alex. I was out for a local walk (NW Lakes) and the car parked next to me had an EWS access pass for Toton in the windscreen!  Must have been on holiday although he was obviously a fan of the Lakes too as he had Friends of the Lake District and Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team supporter stickers as well. I didn't get to meet him/her unfortunately, as the car had gone by the time I got back.

An access pass for Toton, hey? Now that would be nice.  :sungum:

Cheers

Dave

Good evening Mr Shedmaster, I agree with you that it is the little details that will really finish it off. I had been wondering how best to model the industrial lighting and thought that I would give 3D Printing a whirl. Seeing the excellent results that some members on here have achieved made up my mind. There are quite a few bits and bobs that I think I will get printed in the future.

I bet you loved every minute of your visit! When I last visited Toton a few years ago I did! Don't think I have been to Stewarts Lane since the open day in 1985!

I look forward to seeing that bench and relevant bits modelled! Are they Pullman windows on that bench?

Hi Class60lover, yes it will be fiddly! Still, won't be the first fiddly project and I know for sure that it certainly won't be the last! Yes the plan is to use thin wire to suspend them from the roof.

Hopefully not too long until Boxenby looks like that!

To be honest, I am not sure on the lines painted on the concrete floor. My thoughts are to model it like this without any and dirty:

For some unknown reason I cannot past links! I will post from my iPad later.

• RMweb Gold

MM, I am sure you will be able to get your hands on some! I am looking forward to seeing them.

Hi Alex,

Thanks. I could do with a few for Orchard Road and Oakley Green (plus whatever else I start in the future)! I looked making some myself before, but couldn't get anything right. Hadn't thought about 3D printing then.

Richard

Well here are a few photos of the pieces which Tim kindly cut and delivered. The concrete floor pieces are made of three layers of MDF which have been glued together to form one piece. The three layers are 2mm, 1mm and then another 1mm to build up from the ply board to the top of the rail:

16311455295_2e0128ede6.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16123910498_f845fab185.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15689040624_3dc47a611c.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I then placed one of the smaller pieces, these sit at the end of the long inspection platforms, the photos later will show this better:

16311455155_40d7516c46.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16309668841_d28a7c63ac.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16125299199_62c686a85e.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Here with a loco sat on the pit:

16310593622_4ab53f9cb4.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

I cannot recommend Tim’s work highly enough, I bought a stock stand which Will has used, very impressed. Tim also showed me some of his laser cut baseboards, they really are superb.

After seeing them I am hoping to get the rest of my boards done by Tim.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi MM, I am sure that you will need a few for your next 15 layouts!

Funny as I too spent a long time wondering how I could model them, then suddenly though about 3D printing.

What are you saying? I build too many layouts ???

I know, sometimes the obvious solutions are not always immediately apprent !

No, actually I think that you need to build a few more, your garage looks too empty!

Very true, sometimes I will be on the train to work or just walking along and then an idea will come to me. That is normally when the solution hits me!

Edited by Grimleygrid

Good evening Mr Shedmaster, I agree with you that it is the little details that will really finish it off. I had been wondering how best to model the industrial lighting and thought that I would give 3D Printing a whirl. Seeing the excellent results that some members on here have achieved made up my mind. There are quite a few bits and bobs that I think I will get printed in the future.

I bet you loved every minute of your visit! When I last visited Toton a few years ago I did! Don't think I have been to Stewarts Lane since the open day in 1985!

I look forward to seeing that bench and relevant bits modelled! Are they Pullman windows on that bench?

Hi Alex,

Yes, I did enjoy my visit thanks.......I had time to spare whilst 'in the course of my duties' and so I was able to join the staff for some tea and a guided tour of the work being undertaken on one particular Pullman. So, that's another seventy odd photo's for the library ! The quality of the workmanship here really is of the highest standard but never seen by outsiders whilst taking place.

They were indeed Pullman windows on the bench.......a nice little cameo for me to do later when I set up a 'refurb' scene somewhere in the shed with a 'carmine and cream' Pullman !

Unfortunately.....seeing all this stuff just encourages me to focus on the coaching stock, whilst keeping a nice sharp axe hovering over my Loco. fleet !

If I can get Stew. Lane to be half as good as your efforts on Boxenby, I'll be more than happy.....that'll be overhead exhausters, pit lighting and now ceiling lighting that I need to seek your help on later when I get round to it.

Excellent and impressive work again mate, very much enjoying your updates.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi Mr Shed, thanks for the kind comments. After seeing what you have done so far I have no doubt that your effort will be of a much better standard than mine! If I can help in any way it would be a pleasure, just let me know what I can do Sir.

Please, if the unfortunate event ever does occur where the axe is about to fall on your 60 fleet, please let me know as I will happily take those bad boys off your hands!

Thanks for your continued interest in my project, much appreciated.

Apologies in advance, more boring photos of inspection pits! Hopefully soon you won't have to endure this torture any more.......

Yesterday was quite a busy one and with footy commitments this morning, I decided this afternoon to have a quick visit to the train room and dry fit the concrete floor pieces. Superb!

Even though they are not painted or weathered the difference that it makes is quite surprising.

A few photos:

First of all the long section which sit between the through roads:

16124163038_5222b91657.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

An overall view:

16309920691_67330cbf81.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

A few of the floor:

16124329910_d224fd99ab.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16124163018_f937e50535.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16124329600_631bcc097a.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

15689291924_9f1a751618.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

Some 58 action, a typical Toton scene and hopefully what will become the norm at Boxenby:

16125856317_ac99bde57f.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16125856187_f0ae20b4b6.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

16125856237_39b0a08484.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

This week I plan measure up and prepare for the next set of concrete floor pieces.

16124329430_4b3503ff05.jpgimage by AP474, on Flickr

This will be the area to the east of road 1 and including road 16 which is the lathe road (looking at the photo above, the area of the board uncovered to the left of the 1st inspection pit), the area to the north of the depot (the area to the bottom of the pits) and the area to the south of the depot which will also include the admin building (the area to the top of the board which is actually to the rear of the depot).

I am very pleased with how the concrete floor looks and it isn’t even painted yet!

• Like 10

Looking very nice Mr G.

You can see the craftsmanship in the photos, and MDF is a good medium to work with in the right circumstances. I take it that you're coating the MDF with a sealer, although inside it should be ok.

You can't beat a Petroleum 60, all looking superb I must say, looking forward to the next instalment.

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jinty. I am a big fan of MDF, especially having it laser cut. The finish and results allow some great uses of the material. To be perfectly honest, I hadn’t even thought about sealing the MDF. Something I will think about, thanks for mentioning it.
Well, I share your sentiments, but then again, I am slightly biased! The only thing that can beat a Petroleum 60, in my opinion, is a Metals 60!

Thanks Class60lover, it is starting to come together, after 5 years! I am getting more and more excited now and can finally start to see progress.
Yesterday I was having issues posting links to photos following your question about adding lines to the floor. I do not plan to add lines to the floor.
Here are a few photos showing the sort of condition that I plan to model the depot floor, typically dirty!

5704642242_c946c024fb.jpgA withdrawn and partially stripped 20164 stands with 20052, 20063 and 20101 inside Toton shed. by jezdgould, on Flickr

8555038263_9f4914e755.jpg13-8-88 58 044 inside Toton shed by Barnsleyrailboy, on Flickr

8556150254_00b4e3e2e3.jpg13-8-88 Withdrawn 45 010 inside Toton shed by Barnsleyrailboy, on Flickr

Thanks David, Tim has done an excellent job on the pieces for the floor. Having them laser cut makes a big difference as I know that the lines are lovely and straight to get everything aligned properly. I can’t wait to get them painted and weathered!

If I get some spare time this evening I will make a start on measuring up for the next set of pieces.

• Like 4

Great work mate, the flooring lookd superb and i am going to tap cav up for some of those light fittings too as i have a big depot i am building for a customer at the moment and they will fit nicely.